It's here! - BK CT Tele Satin Finish, UC Ipe on Walnut Warhead

TheDrizzle

Body:
Solid BK rear route, no lam top
HxH
LP contols: Vol 1, Tone 2, Upper toggle
Wilkenson trem (black, pre-installed pegs)
7/8" Electrosocket route
Strat neck pocket, 4 bolt
Tummy cut
Contoured heel
Satin finish

Neck:
Warhead Pro, standard thin
Unique choice Ipe on Walnut
11/16th nut
10-16 compound radius
22 frets, SS6100
Sperzel route
Azurite malachite dot inlays, black side dots
Earvana nut
Satin nitro finish

I have the rest in hand already:
Bare Knuckle Holydiver bridge (black covered, black pole screws)
Bare Knuckle VHII neck (black covered, black pole screws)
Sperzel locking tuners (black)
Barrel knobs (black)
Black metal hum rings, black screws
Black electrosocket
Black toggle switch
Black straplocks
500k vol pot, 500k push/push tone to coil split neck)

I think that's about it.  Ordered Apr 2, so it's getting here a month earlier than I expected.  Will post pics when it gets here, either on Fri night or Sat.

Sounds perfect. The only thing I'd warn against is the Electrosocket. 7/8" hole is good and proper, but use a square or oval (football) plate (both of which will cover a 7/8" hole) with a standard 1/4" jack instead of the Electrosocket. Those things are a pain in the shorts. They look good and seem right at first blush, but they're really not as practical as you might imagine. After about a week of using one, you'll be wondering why anybody would advocate such a thing.

I already have the electrosocket in hand so will just install that until it bucks me.

I'm really just a couch noodler, so I don't think it will be a problem.  If I somehow get good (I give it a 2% chance) and start to play live I can always switch it out.  Thanks for the heads up though.

Cagey said:
Sounds perfect. The only thing I'd warn against is the Electrosocket. 7/8" hole is good and proper, but use a square or oval (football) plate (both of which will cover a 7/8" hole) with a standard 1/4" jack instead of the Electrosocket. Those things are a pain in the shorts. They look good and seem right at first blush, but they're really not as practical as you might imagine. After about a week of using one, you'll be wondering why anybody would advocate such a thing.

Curious, what do you find as no practical about Electrosockets? I have a lsow build going on and was planning on using one? No I haven't used one before.

It's probably just me being petty. But, the deep concave shape of the thing leads me to believe the design intent was to make it easy to funnel the plug into the socket, so you're not fumbling around trying to find a hole you can't see easily. But, unless you recess the jack back in the socket, you end up with a lip at the bottom of the "funnel", so you actually fumble around more trying to get the plug in. Then, once you've got the socket mounted deep enough for the funnelling action to work, then you've got to have a straight plug that's chamfered around its shoulder, or it won't plug all the way in. And forget about angled plugs. No way you can use those.

So, you end up with a guitar that needs a cord whose ends are just right, which to me is NFG. Cords fail. Replacements are easy - usually. But, not when they have special requirements.

Today's the day!!!  :hello2: :toothy10: :blob7:

I LOVE new Warmoth day. It's like grown-up Christmas, but better. Can't wait to see some pics!

SlartiBartfast said:
Today's the day!!!  :hello2: :toothy10: :blob7:

I LOVE new Warmoth day. It's like grown-up Christmas, but better. Can't wait to see some pics!

Haha - I was refreshing the UPS tracker all morning waiting for it to change from "Out for Delivery" - it was "Delivered" as of 12:30.

Needless to say I'm not happy that I have to sit in the office another 3-4 hours.  Can't wait for my first Warmoth Christmas morning!!!

My only bit of nervousness is seeing the other BK tele that another member got - it was a bit light colored vs what I was expecting.  I'm sure I'll be psyched no matter what shade of BK is waiting for me under the bubble wrap, but I'm hoping it will be darker to offset the Ipe fretboard a bit.

You know you aren't going to get anything done for the rest of the day. Start coughing! Rough up your voice! Tell your boss you're dying and you gotta leave!

Cagey said:
You know you aren't going to get anything done for the rest of the day. Start coughing! Rough up your voice! Tell your boss you're dying and you gotta leave!

Almost there... Just a couple more hours.

Oh, he's gotta unpack the things, then drool all over them, then place them in proximity to each other, then dry fit the other parts, then go hide in the bathroom for a while, then take pictures, then post them... hell, we'll be lucky if we see pics by tomorrow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94807084@N07/

Gah, I can't figure out how to post pics here, but that's the link to all of them.

I'm really happy with the body, nice and dark as I was hoping with some cool figuring.  The satin finish is awesome, def the right choice for me and the wood.

I do wish the Ipe in the neck was lighter like it looked in the UC pics, but the figuring in it is really amazing.  it's got tons of depth, not sure how well it comes across in the pics.  The dots would have shown a bit better on a lighter FB, but I'm still glad I went with them, they add a bit of color to the whole thing.

Overall I'm really, really happy.  Totally worth the wait, it's gorgeous first hand.

Now to keep pestering my luthier buddy to put the thing together.  :icon_smile:

Gorgeous! That is going to be one super-fine fiddle!

I'm sorta surprised at that Ipe, though. From the order pages it looks like it has an olive green cast to it, but yours appears to be Rosewood, albeit with an unusual grain. It's in line with what I was finding when researching the wood a few weeks back, though. I never found anything that looked remotely like what Warmoth was showing. Their color rendering on those "unique choice" samples is way off.

Here's a comparison of what yours looks like...

IpeFretboard.jpg

versus what Warmoth shows the stuff as...

FB603a.jpg

I'm concerned because I really wanted to use some Ipe on the L5S build, but what you're showing wouldn't match very well.

Yeah I know what you mean.  I was expecting the lighter colored wood with those 3D looking ridges, which seem to have gone away as well.

Do you think it's possible they gave me the wrong FB?  It mentions the UC on the invoice, but it does seem pretty different vs. the original online pics which are very close to what you posted above.

TheDrizzle said:
but it does seem pretty different vs. the original online pics which are very close to what you posted above.
That will happen in the finishing process and the pic's you see on-line with different lighting etc used.

*example.

Showcase pic
file_zpsc230b495.jpg

Shop floor pic
file_zps72fefba1.jpg

In my hands ....  :icon_biggrin:
file_zpsa7e05a6d.jpg

TheDrizzle said:
Yeah I know what you mean.  I was expecting the lighter colored wood with those 3D looking ridges, which seem to have gone away as well.

Do you think it's possible they gave me the wrong FB?  It mentions the UC on the invoice, but it does seem pretty different vs. the original online pics which are very close to what you posted above.

I don't know, but I'll certainly be placing a call to them before I order a piece of it. I suspect the pictures they have on their server are what's wrong. If you go searching around the 'net, you can't find anything called Ipe that looks like what they show. In your case, I think it worked out better. That's a fine-looking neck that matches up nicely with that body. If it had looked like what's advertised, I'm not sure it would have been as good. In my case, I'm trying to mate up to a green guitar.

Back