It has arrived...

Jecht

Hello! I had another thread introducing myself, but I thought I should migrate over here after my build arrived. I meant to post this a few days ago, but my build arrived last week and on my birthday no less! (9/9) I dropped it off at the luthier's for assembly over the weekend.  :headbanging: :headbang1: :party07:

I was inspired to make this build because over the summer I was really gasing for a Charvel San Dimas style guitar after looking at Friedman's Cali guitars, especially after eyeing a few custom hard tail models. The neck is roasted flame maple with stainless steel 6150 frets, 12-16" compound radius, and the standard thin carve. The body body is swamp ash in surf green. I wanted an 80s shredder guitar with the versatility and aesthetics to fit in anywhere. I mostly play 80s rock, but I have a few other projects that are more modern and I wanted a work horse guitar for everything I play.

Attachments

• Warmoth.JPG
    Warmoth.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 59
Thanks all! The bridge position will be a Motor City Pickups 2nd Degree Blackbelt and the neck will be a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro. I'm still waiting on the 2nd Degree Blackbelt to arrive, but I have an extra pickup to use in the meantime just to get the guitar assembled. I'm looking at 2 to 4 weeks for assembly so if the pickup arrives early, then I'll just drop it off.

I like that neck with the body color you chose. It's going to be a beautiful guitar.

The guitar is finished and I'm sooooo excited about it!    :headbang4:  :bass: :headbang5 :party07: :guitarplayer2:

I'm just waiting on the 2nd degree blackbelt that I ordered, so I had to use some generic OEM pickup I had laying around in the meantime because I didn't want to wait on assembly. Even so the guitar still sounds great and I'm just over the moon to have it back, especially since this whole process has taken about 2 months. It was definitely worth the wait and I can see myself planning another build in the future! Aesthetically I think the 2nd degree will look great in the guitar because I ordered a zebra pickup which I think will be a fun quirk to contrast with the black SD in the neck.

My favorite small detail is that the numbers on the volume control match the finish. I was originally going to throw on a chrome barrel knob, but the luthier had just ordered all of these really cool speed knobs. Anyway, I've got no commitments for the weekend and my plan is to put the guitar through its paces.  :party07:

I also said this on the gear page, but I'll say it here too. I'd like to thank Aaron for all of his help when I first started planning the build.  :eek:ccasion14:

Attachments

• IMG_2206.JPG
    IMG_2206.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
Nice work - IMO, roasted maple necks seem to work best with those 60s Fender-type pastel surfer finishes!

Zebra said:
Nice work - IMO, roasted maple necks seem to work best with those 60s Fender-type pastel surfer finishes!

I agree! The colors ended up being a happy accident because I knew I wanted roasted maple and surf green and they ended up looking really cool together. That's probably why Charvel offers pastel pink with their DK series.

Back