Is this common?

M

misplacedsanity

You see a new addition to the showcase and think to yourself, "Thats pretty cool, not as cool as
the body I was going to buy last week that sold 15 minutes before I logged on to get it, but
cool all the same." Next time you're surfing the showcase you see it again and think "Wow, that
body really is cool, I'd consider buying that if I hadn't spent all the money I'd saved for the last body
on that cool birds eye neck, oh well." Before you know it, it's the first thing you're checking every
time you're browsing the showcase. You then realise it's going to take you a few weeks to get the
money together to buy it. You then spend the next three weeks checking it's still there every chance
you get.
So, is this kind of obsession unusual? Should I seek help?
Also......
How many guitars do you have to build until you finally make that 'last guitar I'll ever need' 
you promised yourself you were making 3 guitars ago?

Perfectly normal.

It will always be just one more.  Go ahead and accept that fact and be sure to marry accordingly.

Well, as far as I know:
While you still have money and remember the Warmoth website, probably you'll still buy somethings, untill the end of the world  :icon_biggrin:

About the bodies/necks that stay on Showcase for only 5 min... it's absolutely normal, as most part of guys here and some others get online and with the Showcase opened ALL DAY LONG...
I recommend that you give some cash to Gregg or Eric to get knowledge of the stunning pieces BEFORE they hit the showcase...  :icon_biggrin:

misplacedsanity said:
You see a new addition to the showcase and think to yourself, "Thats pretty cool, not as cool as
the body I was going to buy last week that sold 15 minutes before I logged on to get it, but
cool all the same." Next time you're surfing the showcase you see it again and think "Wow, that
body really is cool, I'd consider buying that if I hadn't spent all the money I'd saved for the last body
on that cool birds eye neck, oh well." Before you know it, it's the first thing you're checking every
time you're browsing the showcase. You then realise it's going to take you a few weeks to get the
money together to buy it. You then spend the next three weeks checking it's still there every chance
you get.
So, is this kind of obsession unusual? Should I seek help?
Also......
How many guitars do you have to build until you finally make that 'last guitar I'll ever need' 
you promised yourself you were making 3 guitars ago?

If you didn't do that then we would suggest you get help......... :doh:

The thing that draws me into warmoth is that If i have a need I have a way of fulfilling it.

I need another guitar for playing detuned songs.  There arent many guitars that do this well.  So no i have a need and I can engineer a guitar to suit it. My next build will be an LPS carved top Baritone with one 'bucker in the bridge.

I only ever had 3 builds planned.  and thats all i'd probably build, until I had another need or idea that needed to be fulfillied.

So...  i will probably stop building warmoths on the day I stop having a need to be fulfilled in my rig somewhere.

so I'm glad i'll always have the need :p

I have the opposite problem. I keep waiting for people to buy the stuff I have my eye on so I can stop thinking about it. The Blazing Fireburst VIP in the showcase right now is a great example. Someone please buy this guitar so it will stop haunting my dreams, and be sure to get a rosewood neck with ebony fingerboard and Fralin Humbuckers with the Jimmy Page wiring schematic.

As far as the obsession of building more guitars goes here is a list of just the Strats I'd like to build:

A Red Alder strat with Active EMG's ala David Gilmour
A tribute to Clapton's "Blackie" strat with the midrange boost circuit
A Swamp Ash / Maple Neck Strat with an Alembic Stratoblaster ala Jerry Garcia's "Alligator"
A psychedelic Painted Left Handed Strat tuned down to Eb for playing along to Jimmy Hendrix Records

and my own custom Strat design: Quilt Maple on Mahogany with F-Holes, Rosewood Neck with Ebony Fretboard, Duncan Rail Pickups, and a CAE preamp...

and that's just the Strats, don't even get me started about the Tele's I want to build

All I need now is a G4 bass and a stripped down Strat that I can drop one of my Crazy 8's on. Oh, and other the others ideas I have too...

the problem with me is my 'wood'addiction: I NEED nice woods and nice combinations, in a les paul. I wanna have a rosewood/wenge les paul, and also a korina top/bubinga back les paul with a nice exotic neck. Cant.....GET....RID....OF....IT!!!!!

Oh god yes, i've been on these forums for 14 hours and 22 minutes and i've already seen over 15-20 threads about it.

You can be sure in that space of time you'll see many, many, many more.

Wana_make_a_guitar said:
Oh god yes, i've been on these forums for 14 hours and 22 minutes and i've already seen over 15-20 threads about it.

You can be sure in that space of time you'll see many, many, many more.

Is that all?   :icon_jokercolor:

"Hello DocNrock
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in: 7 days, 21 hours and 6 minutes."

:tard:

Hello Chris of Arabia
Total time logged in: 3 days, 3 hours and 9 minutes.

I am of course only a part time visitor...

Hello sundin4prez
Total time logged in: 6 days, 16 hours and 13 minutes.

I thought I was going to be "done" after my Tele Thinline.  I thought, "Oh, nothing will ever top this thing".  I absolutely love both of my Warmoth builds, and have found myself playing them equally as much, at great expense to my poor old Gibson, which is feeling quite neglected these days.  Here is the problem.  I do not have a guitar with a tremelo.  I also don't have what I would consider to be a true, purist type of Telecaster.  There is also the fact that I just had a really good time making my Warmoths come to life, and ended up with this really good feeling of, what do they call it, oh yeah ACCOMPLISHMENT.  I now find myself with two more projects almost fully planned out, right down to the color of the switch tip.  Oh how it sucks being financially insufficient for your own dreams.  Oh, and to answer the original question,  Yes, this is common. 

Thanks for all your support comrades, It's appreciated. I think we should have our own charity.
Not so much to ween us off of are addiction, more to get us stuff for free.
mmmmm.........stuff for free.

I don't have a guitar with a Floyd Rose so I'm going to do one more build with one and then I'll be done unless something happens to one of my guitars. I was thinking of doing two more but I just changed my mind recently. It is tempting to get into doing lots of them, but it's too expensive and stressful and frustrating for me. And I don't really need them. After this next one I'll have all the guitars I need and I think I'll be happy with them forever.

Oh and I think if I'm going to spend money it will be on another amp so I can play in stereo.

To quote Bill and Ted "Why would we lie to ourselves?"

Back