Is it possible to build a Vortex neck without the tilt back?

WindsurfMaui

I'll admit this might be a stupid question since I prefer the 6 on one side headstock of the Strat. But all this Silver Sky stuff has got me thinking. I dislike tiltback headstocks but would it be possible to build a Strat replacement neck with a Vortex headstock without the tilt back? That is like a regular Strat neck the headstock drops down after the nut. Then if I use staggered tuners it should play without needing the headstock tilt? The headstock could even be less wide as long as the tuners lined up in a straight line with the nut?

Is this possible? Is it something people would be interested in?

You could order a straight paddle type headstock and cut it to your own shape and drill your own holes to achieve something like that.

Its probably difficult to buy 3L + 3R staggered tuner set, unless you buy both left and right hand sets to create two sets of your own. 

The concept seems similar to a music man headstock with 4 + 2 tuners.

WindsurfMaui said:
unfortunately not that talented even if I had the tools. But I will keep it in mind. Thanks

It's not a lot of tools, you can get the shape with a coping saw, probably cost about $15. Add some sandpaper for working down the saw marks, I'd use a chipping knife in between.

Maybe take the neck to a Luther for the tuner holes if you're not confident on doing that bit.

I forgot to mention earlier depending on where the tuner holes are placed you probably would not need staggered tuners. If you decided you needed on a 3 + 3 one shorter than the other two it is possible for example to buy single tuners from Schaller and order 2L + 1L of a shorter height and a similar set of 2R + 1R. Sporthitech also would be able to make a set up of Hipshots as needed.

With staggered tuners even on 6 a side you don't need a tilt back headstock or a string tree if your nut is cut correctly.

I looked at the snakehead which I guess is the same idea except I don't think the tuner holes are lined up for a straight through the nut alignment.

Without the Tilt back I think I would definitely need staggered tuners. I'm sure I can get them somehow. I just tried to get a set of 6 in line hipshots from SportiTech with all 19 mm posts but they said they couldn't make it up for me. (So I bought a regular staggered set) I wanted the all 19 mm post because I see Fender just came out with a set with all 6 inline 19mm posts but I did not want to drill into the headstock. I like the hipshot UMP rail system. I think eventually hipshot may come out with an all 19 mm post set that's compatible with their ump system.

In any event this was more of an idea to contemplate but it doesn't look like others think this has any value. The other issues would be if I wanted a 7 1/4 neck radius I would also want it in the Gibson conversion 24 3/4 scale length which I'm sure is just too many custom items for Warmoth to be interested in doing. Although I think that would be a sweet neck. Thanks

Back