Is it possible for a plywood guitar to sound good?

I have an old SD Curlee that I had refurbished. Plywood body. I used to work at a studio, bands loved that guitar. Sounds like a Les Paul's obnoxious little brother. I love it.

PitchShifter said:
It's been said on here many times that body wood has only a small effect of guitar tone...that neckwood and pickups are much more important factors.  In that case, could a good maple neck and quality pickups and electronics, be enough to produce an acceptable enough tone from a plywood bodied guitar.
I know 'good" is all very subjective, but I'm not after top shelf Gibson, but something that more around the level of an Epiphone in sound quality to use as a backup.

I always loved the look of those ol' Curlees's. They just had that "I'm a no-nonsense players axe" look to them.

I know they're not Alembics, but you just gotta post an image of that Curlee sometime  :blob7:

all the best,

R

While I'd say that good wood aids in the tone , just like good pickups and pots etc , it is not the end of the world not to have it.  To prove that point Bob Taylor and crew made the "Pallet guitar"  .  As Acoustic guitars are much more dependent on wood for thier sound due to the resonance factors , Bob wanted to prove that construction techniques played a large role as well ...

see http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM00/Content/Taylor_Guitars/PR/Pallet.html

If it works for an acoustic then it can work for an electric..

I will see if I can take some pics tonight. It's funny, the neck is harmony and has some figure to it lol. Stay Posted!  :hello2:

Heck, why not make a guitar body out of mud, let it dry by baking it in the sun, seal and paint it, wire in the pickups and electronics and stick a neck on it?

I'm sure that it'll sound as good as any other wood-bodied guitar...

And imagine the profit you could make off a mud guitar... and if anyone asks, "yeah, but it can't sound good - it's made of mud!", you just look them straight in the eye and say, "ah, but tone is subjective".

Superlizard said:
Heck, why not make a guitar body out of mud, let it dry by baking it in the sun, seal and paint it, wire in the pickups and electronics and stick a neck on it?

And imagine the profit you could make off a mud guitar... and if anyone asks, "yeah, but it can't sound good - it's made of mud!", you just look them straight in the eye and say, "ah, but tone is subjective".

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/galcontainer.cfm?id=926

Alumitone pickup, my favorite.

GoDrex said:
Superlizard said:

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/galcontainer.cfm?id=926

Hey guys new member here.

The short answer to this question is YES.  Does an Alembic sound good?  They are made of really really expensive 'plywood'

By definition an alembic is "plywood"  Think about it what is plywood?  A bunch of thin layers of wood glued together.  In construction plywood, they alternate the grain usually by 90 degrees to increase stability.  On a "hippie sandwich" they keep the grain running the same direction.  Also on those warmoth bodies that have a carved top or a laminate top, they would be by definition plywood.  The cheapest alembic guitars are like five grand, so if you have the money to shell out for an alembic, you will be buying a 'plywood' body.  Now I am not suggesting to go out and buy a couple sheets of  underlayment and build guitars, but you must realize that manufacturers must get the most out of those expensive logs they buy, so they use the pretty stuff where you see it, and the not so pretty stuff where you don't.  I have built about a dozen guitars over the years and I always end up using a furniture grade piece of plywood for my control covers.  It is 1/4" thick and I can put a thin veneer on top of it if I want to 'match' the wood with the body.  I think that a piece of natural wood looks better than plastic, even if it is different wood than the body.  My current guitar is a carvin neck with flame maple body wings and some walnut inlay, with a cherry plywood control cavity cover.  The cover doesn't match the maple, but it sure looks better than a big old chunk of formica back there.

Remember this is my opinion, it might be right, it might be wrong, but it's mine.

welcome to Unofficial Warmoth theklanch, and bravo for sharing an educated and informed reply to this thread!

all the best,

R

theklanch said:
Hey guys new member here.

The short answer to this question is YES.  Does an Alembic sound good?  They are made of really really expensive 'plywood'

By definition an alembic is "plywood"  Think about it what is plywood?  A bunch of thin layers of wood glued together.  In construction plywood, they alternate the grain usually by 90 degrees to increase stability.  On a "hippie sandwich" they keep the grain running the same direction.  Also on those warmoth bodies that have a carved top or a laminate top, they would be by definition plywood.  The cheapest alembic guitars are like five grand, so if you have the money to shell out for an alembic, you will be buying a 'plywood' body.  Now I am not suggesting to go out and buy a couple sheets of  underlayment and build guitars, but you must realize that manufacturers must get the most out of those expensive logs they buy, so they use the pretty stuff where you see it, and the not so pretty stuff where you don't.  I have built about a dozen guitars over the years and I always end up using a furniture grade piece of plywood for my control covers.  It is 1/4" thick and I can put a thin veneer on top of it if I want to 'match' the wood with the body.  I think that a piece of natural wood looks better than plastic, even if it is different wood than the body.  My current guitar is a carvin neck with flame maple body wings and some walnut inlay, with a cherry plywood control cavity cover.  The cover doesn't match the maple, but it sure looks better than a big old chunk of formica back there.

Remember this is my opinion, it might be right, it might be wrong, but it's mine.

Now that is an entrance! Welcome theklanch!

Good point ,  for that matter  PRS , Gibson and any lam tops are too

On a neck through design it wouldn't matter much as the resonant mass is focused on the neck.

But from the traditional sense of the cheap home depot stuff ... well my aesthetic sensibilities cringe....

I actually own a guitar that I found I later sanded it down and found that the body was made of plywood. It actually was not that bad, think of it as a crappy version of alder. 

:rock-on:

theklanch said:
... Now I am not suggesting to go out and buy a couple sheets of  underlayment and build guitars...

Dang, I had high hopes for that stack of OSB sitting in my garage!

I'd like to add - Just how many ES-### clones out there are plywood over a solid center block?

Hats off to the dude who made the concrete guitar.  I wonder if he used any rebar?

the gibson es 175 is made of laminate (ie plywood) as are many jazz archtops, they make them out of laminate to reduce feedback..
plywwod is like many other woods, some top shelf some crap. a good chunk of plywood will sound every bit as good as hardwood sometimes better. now here is a good sounding piece of plywood.

Klanch is right about Alembics of course, and most acoustics under $500 or so (and some over) are also laminate aka plywood.  And technically a Gibson Les Paul is a piece of plywood... 2-ply. 

But I think the OP was talking about cheap plywood/particleboard/chipboard solid-bodied electrics.

I would love for someone to do this experiment (I don't have the right parts)... record a clip with a Warmoth strat, then swap out the body for a plywood Squier strat (moving all the hardware and electronics of course) and record the same tune.  I predict the difference will be noticeable

Yes it is. I have a Charvel Charvette, Korean-made plywood body guitar with maple neck. Before I actually tore it up in an attempt to install a fender stratocaster pickguard over it, it sounded amazing for metal or rock AND blues and clean stuff! I was really surprised how good it sounded, but it's really all to do with how you look at it. How well an instrument sounds is simply in the mind. Everything sounds good to me, whatever makes sound, or colors or what not, is good to me. Most guitars are "plywood" if you will, or "laminated" (alternating grain layers glued together). I actually LOVE cheap guitars, and making them feel right to me.

I'm working on restoring it to a playable and stable state. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9A8RbNPC_U I'm doing a timelapse of the construction, so it's going to be fun to upload it and then I'll play a song with it on the video once it's in a playable state.

You can churn out great guitars for virtually nothing. Got an old tree in your backyard that's just about dead? Cut it down and laminate layers and make ur own guitar.

The best teacher is the self, and as someone in this thread already mentioned, the economy sucks (because money sucks), and that's probably a good indication that we need to take care of ourselves and stop relying on other people to make our instruments for us. I strongly believe we would all be better off learning how to make everything we need ourselves. Be creative, the guitar is an instrument of art, it wants you to make your own with it!

Back