Is grade 2 (mild steel) strong enough for neck screws?

Christian Jones

I'm having fun with this new build making sure that all of the hardware is nickel-plated and all that. For the Warmoth contoured heel I got a hold of some nickel-plated screws that are #8 1-1/2" and #8 1-3/4". These are the proper gauge and lengths for Warmoth's contoured body heel.

But are these grade 2 mild steel screws strong enough for a guitar neck? (And a *baritone* guitar neck at that)?

I can try to negotiate with my OCD and see if it'll let me use stainless screws but I don't know.. would really like everything nickel

The screws are probably strong enough for the neck. The main issue I've seen is with the heads. If the metal is too soft, the heads can get stripped when you try to tighten them down with a screwdriver.

Michael

Michaelga said:
The screws are probably strong enough for the neck. The main issue I've seen is with the heads. If the metal is too soft, the heads can get stripped when you try to tighten them down with a screwdriver.

Michael

Cool thanks. What about screws bending or breaking off in the wooden neck.. is that a thing to worry about?

er, yea if your pilot holes are too small and you forget to wax your screws...

The standard screws that most guitar parts places offer are a low grade steel, and people have been using them for years. And as Mayfly said, without the proper prep work, you could strip the heads or even snap them off. So stainless would probably ease you mind a bit, and installing threaded inserts and machine screws would be the optimum if your OCD gets out of hand... :icon_thumright:

Rumor has it some guitars don't even use metal. Just wood and glue

Back