Is a Humbucking Singlecoil wired/Soldered different from a humbucker?

Kain VKail said:
Street Avenger said:
Kain VKail said:
Sorry to Double post but this is wat my wiring setup is going to be, maybe some of you can help me better this way so i can choose the proper diagram to help cause i dont see it anywhere.

2 double coiled Singlecoils Dimarzio-
   (neck) Cruiser
   (Middle) Chopper
 1 volume
 1 tone
1 Humbucker -
   (Bridge) Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge
 1Volume
 1 Tone

So 2 volumes 2 tones HSS setup and i think a regular 5 Way switch. I dont really need the super switch

Someone give me a little boost hahaha i promise i wont ask for anymore help unless i absolutly need it.

(I feel like this is a lot easier than im making it  :()

Just so you know, if you like the Strat "quack" from the 2 and 4 positions, you won't get that at all with a Chopper, and very little with the Cruiser. They just have too much mid-range, and not enough high-end. Especially the Chopper.

Yah i dont really know what im looking for considering ive never used single coils at all. i may even go a tad hotter and get the injector neck for the middle position. but i really dont know what im gonna get out of this. im just playin with stuff at this point.

The Injector will be out-of-phase with the Cruiser and the humbucker. It will work fine, but you'll have to switch two wires.

My Strat has a Seymour Duncan full-size humbucker in the bridge-position, and two Dimarzio Area-67s for the neck & middle. So I can get the "quack", as well as the bell-like Strat tones, right along with the nice crunchy humbucker bridge-position tones. All with no hum.

Please add the Suhr color code link to the sticky, if it's online. That's how it works (hopefully). The biggest consideration now is doing the soldering well (or adequately...) Do you have a decent iron (bigger that 18w, smaller than 50), and some alligator clips for heatsinks and to build some solid connections? It's not really... complicated, but the more organization you have before laying into it the better (this is a BIG problem the less you think about what you're doing) and it takes certain little bursts of concentration... to this day I still only bang about three connections in a row and take a little breather. Watching someone who's done production-line work is almost freaky. There are lots of online guides by now, but it'd be a good idea to do some practice with junk before laying into the thousand-dollar baby.

yah i agree. i think i have some junk i can actually work on this with. but agreed ill be doing this a few times with a Pup i have laying down stairs.

Yes i do have a 45 watt iron, and i can get alligator clips easily they are fairly cheap, no?

well the thing is i emailed them and within minutes they kind of just sent me the color combo and i said "oh, thats the same as duncan's" and they said, "yes, it is the same." so i guess just next to the duncan schimatics  or color codes put a / and then type Suhr so like: Duncan/Suhr.

Kain VKail said:
Sorry to Double post but this is wat my wiring setup is going to be, maybe some of you can help me better this way so i can choose the proper diagram to help cause i dont see it anywhere.

2 double coiled Singlecoils Dimarzio-
   (neck) Cruiser
   (Middle) Chopper
 1 volume
 1 tone
1 Humbucker -
   (Bridge) Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge
 1Volume
 1 Tone

So 2 volumes 2 tones HSS setup and i think a regular 5 Way switch. I dont really need the super switch

Someone give me a little boost hahaha i promise i wont ask for anymore help unless i absolutly need it.

(I feel like this is a lot easier than im making it  :()

I'll draw you a diagram if you still need it. That setup is not going to work out well, though. With two tone pots, they will interact.

well since you put it that way ill Could just either do 3 volume pots or 2 volume one for the 2 singles and 1 for the humbucker. i mean it can go lots of ways.

Kain VKail said:
well since you put it that way ill Could just either do 3 volume pots or 2 volume one for the 2 singles and 1 for the humbucker. i mean it can go lots of ways.

Three volumes in probably not the best idea. Will you even use them?

I would just do two volumes and a master tone.

Yah thats what my Rhoads has. i think i like that idea the best but i cant find that schematic either. hahaha im not very good at this game.

Kain VKail said:
Yah thats what my Rhoads has. i think i like that idea the best but i cant find that schematic either. hahaha im not very good at this game.

I'll draw the diagram if you want it.

Two volumes are going to interact on at least one switch position, too.

With passive pickups, regardless of the number of them, one volume and one tone is the way to go.

Cagey said:

With passive pickups, regardless of the number of them, one volume and one tone is the way to go.

I agree.

But two volumes are useful if you don't play your pickups together often, and there is a difference of output between them. :blob7:

line6man said:
Cagey said:

I agree.

But two volumes are useful if you don't play your pickups together often, and there is a difference of output between them. :blob7:
yah i think ill do 2 volumes and a master tone. i dont intend to play with the tone too much so this will probably be best.

and yah i think ill take you up on that offer haha line6man. thanks a ton.

Kain VKail said:
line6man said:
Cagey said:

I agree.

yah i think ill do 2 volumes and a master tone. i dont intend to play with the tone too much so this will probably be best.

6131467794_97f04c52a3_o.png

So this whole soldering thing is really hard. i have an old samick with a pickguard and i was trying it out on that stuff and i didnt really get anywhere with it but i was having a tough time getting the hang of it, and im still not too sure about it. i think im gonna watch a few soldering videos and then try this thing again. wish me luck.

line6man said:
Kain VKail said:
line6man said:
Cagey said:

I agree.

Yah i really have no idea what im doing still. BUT i did redo the diagram a bit. tell me if this can be fixed im not really sure where to add which wires to where.

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 346
Kain VKail said:
line6man said:
Kain VKail said:
line6man said:
Cagey said:

I agree.

Yah i really have no idea what im doing still. BUT i did redo the diagram a bit. tell me if this can be fixed im not really sure where to add which wires to where.

No, DiMarzio's diagram is a little different from mine. They have the wiper terminals of the volume pots wired as inputs, while I used them as outputs in my diagram.

It is preferable to use the wiper terminal of a volume pot as an output, when possible, because the resistance of the pot will vary against the output, which is connected to a high impedance input at your amp or whatever. This allows a constant resistance parallel to the pickups from the volume pots, that does not change when the volume is adjusted. The disadvantage, however, is that, with the output impedance of the guitar varied by one pot, it becomes difficult to blend multiple pickups, because if you roll either volume down too much, it starts to kill everything.

The way Dimarzio has drawn their diagram allows you to blend the pickups at different volumes, assuming that there are not other issues, such as impedance mismatches between pickups, or noticeable insertion loss when the volumes are turned up and down. The disadvantage, of course, is that adjusting the volume pots creates a variable impedance load against the pickups, changing their tone.

On Les Pauls, I believe they call this "'50s wiring" and "'60s wiring," or something. You might want to look into that. It's really more of a personal preference. Personally, I don't find the idea of blending pickups at different volumes useful.

hmmmm well i wouldnt really be sure which i liked better considering ive never had either.and its slightly hard for me to understand because im honestly not very good with electronics. hahaha i have a feeling i shouldnt be doing this at all.

But could you do me a favor. i was wondering if you could connect the pickups i have there with the proper wiring diagram. (the top 2 are to represent the Hum-canceling SC's because you guys told me that those are basically the same as humbuckers.)

lets say im not going to use the tone very much at all, which would be a better option because its seems all of the posts i look at on forums everyones talking about the tone knob and im probably not going to hardly touch it at all.

Back