Introducing myself and my build idea.

Indyplumber

Greetings folks!!

I'm new here. Just thought I'd say hello and announce my first build. I'm an intermediate player with my main influences being Dave Murray of maiden,  Jimmy Page and Ace Frehley just to name a few.  I'm a Master Plumber and I live just outside of Indy. Yes. It's crazy here this weekend because of the super bowl. 

My current guitar is a 2006 MiM strat that I started modding a couple years ago. So far I've changed pups 3 times, installed fender schaller locking tuners, graph tech nut and saddles, roller string tree. I have a new wilkinson steel bridge to replace the zinc stock. Anyway. This has led to my desire to do a custom build. I found warmoth when I needed custom pick guards for my pup switching. 

I never paid much attention to their bodies and necks. But after trying various $2000 name brand guitars in the box stores I realized that I could spend that money and create something that would be unique, fun to build and 100% custom. 

At first I thought I'd make a custom tribute to Iron Maiden but I decided for my first build to Keep It Simple Stupid. So I'm planning on a soloist. Carved or flat depends on finances. Two humbuckers with a Floyd. I'm still debating color and the neck. I like the Jackson, Warmoth and warhead.   

That's all I got for now. I'll probably have a few questions along the way.   I just hope I'm not asking for a good divorce lawyer. Wives don't always understand our hobbies.  But she didn't freak too bad when I built a MAME arcade cabinet last summer. 

Welcome, and Up The Irons!  If you haven't yet, check out Orcrist's strat on this site. 

I'll give you my opinion on color: exotic wood + clear/transparent.

As a fellow Indianapolis resident: Welcome!
I work & live downtown and have managed to avoid everything minus a bit of traffic thusfar.

Welcome aboard!  I'd go with the Jackson headstock and flat top.  There's a ton of paint options depending on if you want to put a nice top on it.  Man there's so many options.  You're gonna have a blast!  Enjoy!

Go with the Warmoth headstock, you'll love it. Scartozi put one on a Strat body and it looks so killer I think I'm gonna have to do it as well. I have always found the jackson headstock shape boring.

I had a Green LP (Since sold) and I gigged it only once before going back to quacky buzzy single coils, but it had the Warmoth headstock shape. Everyone who came up to me afterwards commented on how they thought it looked very high end. The guitar player in another band said it looked really classy/PRS. Point is, you'll get a ton of comments and the headstock will still look pretty metal.

EDIT: Also, go with a raw neck wood. You will love that as well. I'd advise Wenge for your first raw neck wood, and the 59 roundback contour (unless you REALLY love a thin neck. More wood = more tone, and wenge has so many tone worms.) 59 Roundback contour is basically a les paul neck shape. Not too thick, but not too thin either.

No matter what you go with, you're gonna love that soloist.

Indyplumber said:
Greetings folks!!

I'm new here. Just thought I'd say hello and announce my first build. I'm an intermediate player with my main influences being Dave Murray of maiden,  Jimmy Page and Ace Frehley just to name a few.  I'm a Master Plumber and I live just outside of Indy. Yes. It's crazy here this weekend because of the super bowl.

My current guitar is a 2006 MiM strat that I started modding a couple years ago. So far I've changed pups 3 times, installed fender schaller locking tuners, graph tech nut and saddles, roller string tree. I have a new wilkinson steel bridge to replace the zinc stock. Anyway. This has led to my desire to do a custom build. I found warmoth when I needed custom pick guards for my pup switching.

I never paid much attention to their bodies and necks. But after trying various $2000 name brand guitars in the box stores I realized that I could spend that money and create something that would be unique, fun to build and 100% custom.

At first I thought I'd make a custom tribute to Iron Maiden but I decided for my first build to Keep It Simple Stupid. So I'm planning on a soloist. Carved or flat depends on finances. Two humbuckers with a Floyd. I'm still debating color and the neck. I like the Jackson, Warmoth and warhead. 

That's all I got for now. I'll probably have a few questions along the way.  I just hope I'm not asking for a good divorce lawyer. Wives don't always understand our hobbies.  But she didn't freak too bad when I built a MAME arcade cabinet last summer.

Welcome!  I too, was influenced by David Murray and Ace Frehley; my first influence to pick up a guitar was David Murray.  :eek:ccasion14:

FWIW, it's VERY possible to build a $2000 Warmoth (I know from experience...  :help: ). 

I, like you, never paid any attention to Warmoth until after I spec'd out a B.C. Rich Custom Shop Warlock to the tune of $5600.  :eek:  Let's just say I'm glad I didn't wind up with one, but that's another story altogether!

I know sometimes I have the tendency to sound like a Warmoth ad but it's all in good reason; their stuff is top-notch and IMO, you will not find a better electric guitar than a finely built Warmoth in any music store unless you bring it in there yourself.  You will have a one-of-a-kind instrument that nobody else on the planet will have, and that's a special feeling.

Lemme know if you've ever seen one of these at a music store in your area.  :icon_biggrin:

IrisandWarmoth.jpg

Mayfly by VOX said:
So I guess you're happy with your new W body?

I had an issue with the body but it is currently being remedied, so yes, I am happy with it.  I'll be a lot happier when it gets back!  :headbang1:

FWIW, there was a manufacturing defect with the body, I sent it back to them, and they are sending me a new body.    They're taking care of the issue so that gives me great confidence in them as a company.  I realize the issue is not a common one with W, so yes, I am happy with the product.

Daze of October said:
Lemme know if you've ever seen one of these at a music store in your area.

Is that an Arrowhead headstock?  I haven't seen many examples of the Arrowhead or the Warhead.

Thanks for the input folks! 

As for a raw neck, I'm kinda partial to the look of Maple.  I'd probably stick with a Satin Finished Maple for my
first build.  (I keep saying first, cause I got a funny feeling this could turn into an on going thing)  At least I
have my scrap metal bin to finance some of this.

Indyplumber said:
Daze of October said:
Lemme know if you've ever seen one of these at a music store in your area.

Is that an Arrowhead headstock?  I haven't seen many examples of the Arrowhead or the Warhead.

Thanks for the input folks! 

As for a raw neck, I'm kinda partial to the look of Maple.  I'd probably stick with a Satin Finished Maple for my
first build.  (I keep saying first, cause I got a funny feeling this could turn into an on going thing)  At least I
have my scrap metal bin to finance some of this.

Yes, that is the "Arrow" headstock.  I actually got it by accident.  When I talked to my sales rep I referred to it as an "arrow," but what I wanted was a "V.". Nonetheless, I like it, so it's not an issue.

Indyplumber said:
Greetings folks!!

I'm new here. Just thought I'd say hello and announce my first build. I'm an intermediate player with my main influences being Dave Murray of maiden,  Jimmy Page and Ace Frehley just to name a few.  I'm a Master Plumber and I live just outside of Indy. Yes. It's crazy here this weekend because of the super bowl.

That's all I got for now. I'll probably have a few questions along the way.  I just hope I'm not asking for a good divorce lawyer. Wives don't always understand our hobbies.  But she didn't freak too bad when I built a MAME arcade cabinet last summer.

O-ho! Greetings my brother from another mother!

Guess what I did for the first guitar I ever built?  :)

morning3019.jpg

BAM!

You just need a vision... and a little cash helps too.  :toothy11:

All-net, all-channels. Would you like to know more?

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=12723.90

Up the Irons!
ORCRiST

P.S. AutoBat? Best. Banner. EVER.  :icon_thumright:

Welcome aboard! All the people and traffic going on must be crazy right now. I can see how Indy residents would want to avoid all that mess. Hell even the Colts made sure they wouldn't have to bother with it.  :icon_jokercolor:

ORCRiST said:

That's a sick build there Orcist.  I have the SD and PAF in my strat now.  I'm going to change it back
to an HSS strat tomorrow.  Got an Area 58 and Area 61 to go with the SD.  My new Warmoth Pickguard
came in the mail today.  I'll save the PAF for a later build....    :evil4:  I was thinking of doing a better
job of a Dave Murray signature strat than that piece of crap one that Fender tries to sell for $2000.

Indyplumber said:
ORCRiST said:

That's a sick build there Orcist.  I have the SD and PAF in my strat now.  I'm going to change it back
to an HSS strat tomorrow.  Got an Area 58 and Area 61 to go with the SD.  My new Warmoth Pickguard
came in the mail today.  I'll save the PAF for a later build....    :evil4:  I was thinking of doing a better
job of a Dave Murray signature strat than that piece of crap one that Fender tries to sell for $2000.

He's got the coolest Strat I've ever seen...EVER.

Daze of October said:
He's got the coolest Strat I've ever seen...EVER.

And that's saying a lot, considering the jillions of Strats that are out there. It's a fine piece of work.

Indyplumber said:
ORCRiST said:
I was thinking of doing a better job of a Dave Murray signature strat than that piece of crap one that Fender tries to sell for $2000.

Thanks all.  :)

Indy, that's pretty much exactly why I built what I did, and you can too.

:rock-on:

EYEGASM!!!!    I'm a HUGE Maiden fan and this guitar brings tears to my eyes.

ORCRiST said:

morning3019.jpg

BAM!

Up the Irons!
ORCRiST

fdesalvo said:
EYEGASM!!!!    I'm a HUGE Maiden fan and this guitar brings tears to my eyes.

ORCRiST said:

morning3019.jpg

BAM!

Up the Irons!
ORCRiST

Told you...

Every time I see that guitar I'm reminded what a sphincter-tightening operation buffing that body out had to have been <grin>

Back