Introducing Black Dog Tele 1/2 Moth

bbl4ck

It's been a long time coming, but I just picked up my Black Dog tele from my luthier this morning.  Needless to say; I am lovin' her...

DETAILS!

Body:
Warmoth extra light Alder @ 3 lbs 15 oz
Tonar trans black nitro finish
Calaham bakelite pickguard
Black Dog Neckware by Dangerous

Neck:
1 piece Kingwood
Gotoh staggered vintage locking tuners

Hardware:
Roadhouse Special T's - Massive kudos to Ken; these pickups just rock...
Calaham knobs, pots, and control plate
5-way strat swich
3-way mini-switch; Position 1 = .0047 cap, Position 2 = No load, Position 3 = .001 cap
Glendale bridge & saddles

This was a very hard to photograph guitar related to the finish.  Pics just do not do it justice...
It's very cool, because the finish looks totally different depending on which angle you viewing.  It can be silverish, trans black, or solid black.

DSCN2594_01.jpg

DSCN2601_01.jpg

DSCN2602_01.jpg

Black Cat & Black Dog
DSCN2558_01.jpg

DSCN2531_01.jpg

DSCN2556_01.jpg

DSCN2604_01.jpg

DSCN2603_01.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2582_01.jpg

Thanks for lookin' & :rock-on:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I think that is pure class!!!
I think the tele neck/middle pickups are a very nice touch also.
Very sweet.

Hey, thanks Tony...
That means a lot coming from an ex-official Warmothian.

Peace,
~bart

That neck is freakish! In a great way of course. Love the whole build. Thanks for letting me be part of it.  :icon_thumright:

Edit* It's looks like Black Dog has a black cat! I think I'm seeing a pattern..... :tard:

It's great to see it together. The neck is just right on that guitar. Another fine Warmoth Team build.  :icon_thumright:

pabloman said:
Where is that neck from?? I have on eerily similar.

The neck is from 4monkeyz...
PM me if you have anything to discuss regarding that builder.
I did have some challenges, but all finished well in the end...
:rock-on:

That neck is gorgeous. The build looks great, too. That transparent black really looks like a silky coat of fur, in a way.

I've got a question about the Tele saddles. They look a little askew. Is that on purpose? I understand the desire to be true to vintage elements of certain guitars, but isn't it better for intonation and radius adjustments to have six individual saddles? Does it not make much of a difference?

I understand the desire to be true to vintage elements of certain guitars, but isn't it better for intonation and radius adjustments to have six individual saddles? Does it not make much of a difference?

Anything else but vintage style on a Tele is an abomination!  :laughing7: Let the war begin.  :evil4:

reluctant-builder said:
That neck is gorgeous. The build looks great, too. That transparent black really looks like a silky coat of fur, in a way.

I've got a question about the Tele saddles. They look a little askew. Is that on purpose? I understand the desire to be true to vintage elements of certain guitars, but isn't it better for intonation and radius adjustments to have six individual saddles? Does it not make much of a difference?

The saddles look askew because they are.  They are cast/machined to compensate so that something approaching accurate intonation can be achieved.  If it were to be truly vintage, the saddles would be plain cylinders with notches for the strings, both strings per saddle having the same sounding length unfretted. This allows a more vintage look but with, it is argued, better intonation.  Whether it appeals to you individually is really on you - I prefer six saddles to three, but I am not a real vintage enthusiast.  Others believe that the difference between the three saddle and six saddle bridge is at the heart of why a tele sounds like a tele, and to vary from that is to venture into heresy.  These people may have a point, too, but I'm not totally committed to (and probably can't tell the difference) of the classic tele sound the three-saddlers exalt.

But those people who open their eggs at the big end - they should all be burned at the stake!

Have a nice day (or rot in hell, depending  :icon_jokercolor:),

Bagman

Wow. First it is outstanding looking!

I love cats and guitars in the same photo too.

I had no idea Kingwood had stripes like that (knowing it makes me sound stupid, as if I know anything about kingwood). Looks like a stained quarter sawn zebra wood. :kewlpics: :rock-on: :party07:

PT said:
Wow. First it is outstanding looking!

I love cats and guitars in the same photo too.

I had no idea Kingwood had stripes like that (knowing it makes me sound stupid, as if I know anything about kingwood). Looks like a stained quarter sawn zebra wood. :kewlpics: :rock-on: :party07:

+1

Beautiful piece of work, and black cats with black guitars are the whip <grin>

I was also surprised at the appearance of Kingwood. I bought a Kingwood over Canary neck not too long ago, and thought the same thing - looks like stained quarter-sawn Zebra. But, it doesn't feel like it all. It feels like Ebony. Very tight, smooth, hard stuff even without any finish at all. Matches up with my candy tangerine Strat body like they were made for each other. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the Ebony over Bubinga neck I had slated for that. Gonna have to build another guitar, I guess... <sigh>

You need to have had cats to know - that one is a million miles from terrified. It's somewhere between content and expectant. Certainly comfortable. You can tell from its body language.

A cat's eyes, though, often invoke a primal fear in some people. It's the unblinking stare and the vertical irises - it's hits you right in that reptilian part of your brain that says "This is a poisonous mutant snake with piercing teeth and sharp weapons attached to articulated and well-controlled, fast appendages." It causes you to ascribe attitudes and motives that usually aren't there. Although, to be fair, most cats would just as soon kill you and eat you if they could get away with it. They're purely selfish, independent, predatory and carnivorous animals. That's why they're so much fun <grin>

Thanks so much for the complements guys!  This is actually my first tele and I know it won't be my last [telebomb is still in the works].
Ken really does a great job with his pickups and I already have another project in mind that will use some of his P90's.  
And Tonar's finish work; well, what more can I say that has not been said  :glasses9:

Fernando, I can see why you think the cat [Boz Lee Kitty] is terrified, but he really is not.
He is a Bombay, and all Bombay's have those kind of bug eyes that are always wide open and looking like they might be ready to jump into action.  
He is really a mellow, mellow cat and never gives me any trouble.  He tolerates me well...

Thanks again &  :rock-on:

Wow! I'm not normally a fan of Teles, but this is outstanding!  :icon_thumright:
Great finish, and a great neck. I love Kingwood, and really think more people should try it.
The Tele style middle pickup is cool, too.

Really a nice build
love the center shielded pickup, would love to hear a sound byte
that is one nice example of going to the limit with design, oh,nice bridge also
Overall, TASTY

can;t wait to see a set of P90s in your next Tele Build, I hear they sound nice in a Tele  :icon_thumright:

Back