Intervals on Gear Gods

Volitions Advocate

Intervals is my newest jam.  At the moment the only member is its founder Aaron Marshal, he's touring with Plini and Animals as Leaders (I'm seeing them in Calgary Nov 18) and Plini makes up his touring band for the moment.  This guy's music on their newest album re-ignited my waning appreciation for playing guitar, so I figure I'm indebted to him a bit.

Anyway, when I saw this video on my youtube homepage I perked up because I have seen in videos that he uses an AxeFX and I'm curious these days about the non-traditional setups.

Once you get past all the stuff about his individual guitars (I both love and hate the strandbergs) I find it really interesting how hes does his effect switching with the AxeFX.  It's exactly how I imagined doing the same thing myself, basically playing without a pedalboard, but I never really saw anybody do it and make it work.  My response was.. "booooring ...  but awesome!" (he talks about it from 9:10 to 10:00)

What about you?  Could you play like that? I'd be willing to give it a shot and see. 

Also. for you AxeFx guys.  Would you run yours like this?  I've always heard of guys going DI, but he runs a guitar cab with a power amp and mic's it.  Interesting set up all around.

[youtube]WzZtVIbFo4w[/youtube]

Advoc said:
Intervals is my newest jam.  At the moment the only member is its founder Aaron Marshal, he's touring with Plini and Animals as Leaders (I'm seeing them in Calgary Nov 18) and Plini makes up his touring band for the moment.  This guy's music on their newest album re-ignited my waning appreciation for playing guitar, so I figure I'm indebted to him a bit.

Anyway, when I saw this video on my youtube homepage I perked up because I have seen in videos that he uses an AxeFX and I'm curious these days about the non-traditional setups.

Once you get past all the stuff about his individual guitars (I both love and hate the strandbergs) I find it really interesting how hes does his effect switching with the AxeFX.  It's exactly how I imagined doing the same thing myself, basically playing without a pedalboard, but I never really saw anybody do it and make it work.  My response was.. "booooring ...  but awesome!" (he talks about it from 9:10 to 10:00)

What about you?  Could you play like that? I'd be willing to give it a shot and see. 

Also. for you AxeFx guys.  Would you run yours like this?  I've always heard of guys going DI, but he runs a guitar cab with a power amp and mic's it.  Interesting set up all around.

[youtube]WzZtVIbFo4w[/youtube]
Could I, sure if I have a dedicated guy switching me.
As far as Axe to power amp to cab then miked to FOH? Not my cup of tea. You are adding in variables that are not needed and may not replicate 100% night to night. I'd rather my only variable be FOH.

I could see the automation if you're playing a fixed set, but otherwise, no. Nor would I want to limit the AxeFx to a single cab unless it was a full range/flat response unit. Kinda defeats the purpose of the modeller, unless you're primarily only interested in the effects.

I just want to take a second to say....FINALLY!

I have always wanted someone else on this forum to like Plini, Intervals, etc. I fricken love these guys, they are my biggest inspirations on guitar. I did the VIP meet and greet with them back in April and they are really great guys. If you can definitely pick up a VIP ticket for your show, you wont regret it.

These guys are sick, everyone should look them up.

Advoc said:
Except that it's still modelling the preamp and poweramp.  It's just the cabinet modelling that he's turned off.

I know. But, that's huge. And that's fine. It just breaks the model. Doesn't mean it can't, doesn't or won't sound good. Modelling fidelity is more important to someone in a cover band than it is to someone who's doing original work. Lotsa folks with dedicated amp heads don't use the specific cabinets that are usually mated to them. For example, somebody might like the sound of a JCM800 running through a Mesa Boogie standard "Recto" 412 rather than a Marshall 1960A. Won't sound the same, but that's not a Bad Thing. It's just different.

rapfohl09 said:
I just want to take a second to say....FINALLY!

I have always wanted someone else on this forum to like Plini, Intervals, etc. I fricken love these guys, they are my biggest inspirations on guitar. I did the VIP meet and greet with them back in April and they are really great guys. If you can definitely pick up a VIP ticket for your show, you wont regret it.

These guys are sick, everyone should look them up.

I should check into the VIP thing.  Animals as Leaders is a much bigger name around here than Intervals so the few metalheads that are going to go crazy over them might not know much about the openers.  I love AaL, but if it weren't for Intervals (and tickets being $26) I probably wouldn't have gone.  All things considered, I'll probably be able to catch them at their own merch table after their set, where I'll get Aaron to sign my copy of The Shape of Colour.  I didn't actually buy the album, I bought the score book.

I really like what he did with this new album they are touring now.  I'm new to the bandwagon and I understand his decision to split with the old band and continue as an instrumental act has a lot of their old fans upset, but he's really come away from the djent box that he probably felt was closing in on him.  The most inspirational guitar work I've heard, this must be how other guys felt about Vai and Satch, but it took Intervals for it to click with me.  Aaron took me out of a 6 year slump where I never thought I'd play guitar again. (just look at my post count, I've only posted about 20 times in the past 5 - 6 years)

My buddy and I (forum member Ironeddie) are learning to play Libra (the solo was written and performed by Plini).  It's not even the hardest song on the album, but I'm pushing myself to play in a way I've never played before.  Taken real care in setting up my instrument when I'd just play whatever before.  I hate to be dramatic about it, but I owe these guys a lot.  So do my lonely dusty Warmoths.

For anybody who wants a taste:
[youtube]Fx8c3CuUxw0[/youtube]

Cagey, I get what you're saying.  I like how he explains exactly why he chose the PRS cabs. I don't have enough money to try out so much gear :sad:

Back