Interstellar - Main Theme (Hans Zimmer)

Verne Bunsen

Hello all! Here is a thing I've been working on for a few days. This is the Main Theme from Hans Zimmer's outstanding soundtrack to the movie Interstellar. It is a cover of a guitar arrangement by Antoine Michaud. It is played in one continuous take using a Boomerang III Looper. I played it on my Candy Apple Red Warmoth Thinline loaded with Revel WRHBs. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for listening, enjoy!

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/vb-tunes/iinterstellar-main-theme-hans-zimmer-arranged-by-antoine-michaud?in=vb-tunes/sets/ambient-guitar[/soundcloud]

Beautiful work.  Thank you for sharing.  All that in a single take!  I salute you.

Thank you! Here is some rare footage of me working the looper and pedalboard during this performance:
tenor.gif

:toothy12:

Absolutely wonderful, Verne.
Bravo!
Love it.
I too am very fond of movie soundtracks and are one of those that buy movie music on CD’s.

I can relate to the Fred Astaire tapdancing. But how did you create the panning of the pedal point note?
Does your looper have a panning feature?

Great rendition to a great Soundtrack! I am particularly fond of a track from Interstellar called S.T.A.Y :headbang: Keep up the great music! :guitarplayer2:

Logrinn said:
Absolutely wonderful, Verne.
Bravo!
Love it.
I too am very fond of movie soundtracks and are one of those that buy movie music on CD’s.

I can relate to the Fred Astaire tapdancing. But how did you create the panning of the pedal point note?
Does your looper have a panning feature?

Thank you! Agreed, even as a teenager back in the 90s I was buying soundtrack scores on CD. Jurassic Park was what got me hooked, I listened to that soundtrack over and over and over.

A slow pan is one of my favorite "subtle" effects. I run a stereo rig using a Line 6 Helix and have a pan effect that I can toggle with a footswitch. It is actually set pretty aggressively, like if you heard it with no other effects it would be almost disorienting, but when you feed it into a stereo reverb (in this case Meris Mercury7), the stereo image generated by the reverb "smears" things and makes it less pronounced, but also more "vast" if that makes sense..... I dig it  :icon_biggrin:

PJ Potamus said:
Great rendition to a great Soundtrack! I am particularly fond of a track from Interstellar called S.T.A.Y :headbang: Keep up the great music! :guitarplayer2:

Thank you! Oh man, S.T.A.Y. pulls on the feels brutally. My son was 7 when this movie came out and my job calls me away from home all the time. That scene had me blubbering like a little baby, haha! 

-VB- said:
... Jurassic Park was what got me hooked, I listened to that soundtrack over and over and over.

Ah yes, John Williams, the Maestro.
I read an interview in Keyboard Magazine many years ago with James Horner which made me get a lot of his soundtracks on CD.
I remember reading about how he wanted a special effect for the violins in Aliens and had the musicians play without the use of vibrato which is a big reason why it sounds so eerie.

Then, of course, there's Ennio Morricone, Alan Silvestri, Danny Elfman and so many more ...

A few years ago I always had music playing from http://www.streamingsoundtracks.com at work. Perfect for background music in a store.

Spectacular! So smoothly done.  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

i am not familiar with the original tune (never saw the film, even), but I like this very much. Nice use of the guitar-as-pad, too. I too am a film score lover, with Bernard Hermann probably my favorite guy, but Zimmer has done some great work, no doubt about it.

Thanks for posting that.

Hello all,

After listening to this track several times over the last couple of weeks, some things started to gnaw at me. The high E that repeats throughout the piece was way too loud, like to the point of being obnoxious, and there were some things I didn't like about how the song progressed toward the end. Since it was done in one take using a looper there wasn't much I could do to fix it in "post", so it was back to the DAW for another try. It took quite a while to get a take I liked better, but ultimately I got something that I will enjoy listening to more. Which is the only metric I have to go by. I've replaced the file linked in the original post with the new one, so if anyone is interested it is there for the listening. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

That's mighty fine! I like the way it builds then settles out again at the end. That high 'E' is just right and didn't try to command too much attention. Very well done.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Sounds absoutely brilliant, Verne!

Here's some more Hans Zimmer for you if you need some tips for your next recording :icon_jokercolor: (this live clip features among others Guthrie Govan):

Last edited:
Rgand said:
That's mighty fine! I like the way it builds then settles out again at the end. That high 'E' is just right and didn't try to command too much attention. Very well done.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Thank you, I appreciate that! With all the stuff going on it is difficult to get the mix "just right" on the fly when you can't go back and adjust things.

Logrinn said:
Sounds absoutely brilliant, Verne!

Here's some more Hans Zimmer for you if you need some tips for your next recording  :icon_jokercolor: (this live clip features among others Guthrie Govan):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/C0_sN4QwgSA[/youtube]

I have watched that entire concert from start to finish more than once, what an exceptional bunch of musicians. Guthrie Govan was awesome to watch in this context, and Johnny Marr too!

Back