Indian Rosewood vs Dark Indian Rosewood - Aesthetics

benjaminr

Hi all,

Without going into the variation in wood density or tone shaping, does anyone have picture comparisons of regular indian rosewood vs. the darker indian rosewood?  I just want to know how different these two colors are.  For reference, the body will be vintage white/banana pudding.

Thanks!
Rush

benjaminr said:
Hi all,

Without going into the variation in wood density or tone shaping, does anyone have picture comparisons of regular indian rosewood vs. the darker indian rosewood?  I just want to know how different these two colors are.  For reference, the body will be vintage white/banana pudding.

Thanks!
Rush

Here's a dark one from the showcase:

VMT5757B.jpg

And here's a lighter one:

VMS7996B.jpg

But bear in mind that these are only two specimens of Indian RW, which can vary tremendously in hue, dominant color, and variegation.  Some are more heavily figured or striped;, some more red, some brown, and some lean toward green.  This illustrates the point, however.

And for what it's worth, I went to the showcase and selected "Indian Rosewood" in the search parameters down the left-hand side of the page as the shaft wood and found a couple samples.

You can also select IRW for the fretboard, and get a lot more examples to compare, if you want to see a broader variety.  In my experience, the pieces they use for entire necks are usually more interestingly figured than the plain-vanilla rosewood that gets used for fingerboards (with lots of exceptions - just a general tendency).

Back