im confused about floyds

Nope slightly different

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=6639.msg82189#msg82189

GoDrex said:
It is confusing because technically they're both made by Schaller.

you right...I got my ORIGINAL Floyd today from warmoth.  I proceeded to rip open the package because I saw a "by schaller" on the packaging.  It was the correct model. :doh:

because i got an ORIGINAL rout, but my licensed one doesnt fit? :icon_scratch: so it must be a schaller licensed... but they are both schaller made... what?

smavridis said:
because i got an ORIGINAL rout, but my licensed one doesnt fit? :icon_scratch: so it must be a schaller licensed... but they are both schaller made... what?
Unfortunately, "Licensed" still means that they can make minor changes.  I found this out again recently with Bigsby tremolos.  The Licensed B-5, B50 or B500 is NOT the same as a B5-USA.  They're damn close in measurements, but far enough off to make them incompatible with the American mounting points.

The "original" Floyd is made by Schaller, but is different than the Schaller Floyd.  Both require different routes.  I prefer the original Floyd, but I'm just one voice. 

Bah there are too many floyds to count. There are many companies who make them, and usually they're all fairly good quality.

-Schaller makes the 'Original Floyd' And they make their own Schaller Floyd
-Gotoh make their own Floyd, it's a little bigger than the original.
-Ping makes a copy of the Gotoh Floyd and they make a copy of the Original Floyd, I'm not sure, but I think they make their own version too.
-ESP make their version of the Original Floyd
-Jackson makes a completely different version of the Floyd, but at first glance, it still looks the same.
-Graph Tech make, i think, two different Floyd's.
-Eagle make a Floyd, I don't if it's a copy of the original or the Gotoh or the Schaller.  :dontknow:

but then there are different models that were patented by the Original Floyd company, and then there are many many licensed copies of them..........

That probably confused you more.  :toothy12:

DocNrock said:
smavridis said:
really i just want to know what fits in the damn original floyd bridge rout right now!

An original Floyd, of course.   :icon_biggrin:
Yip, all dimensions are the same in the bridges, the only difference is if the rout is for the recessed rout. There's a slight difference in between the recessed routs. But if it's a non-recessed rout, should be no issues at all... :icon_thumright:

smavridis said:
it is recessed and the gotoh supposedly fits the recessed OFR rout. so i bought a gotoh.

Here's something to confuse you:  Even though Schaller makes the Original Floyd Rose, the Schaller Floyd is a "Licensed by Floyd Rose."

Basically, Floyd Rose came up with this floating trem design.  Of course, there can be many permutations of it.  But the concept of this sort of floating trem is "Licensed by Floyd."

I'll pitch in with a curve ball and ask:
"Where does the old Kahler trems fit in this scheme of 'Floyd's?"

I asked a repairer years ago, when Floyds were making an impact, to install a Floyd Rose Trem and he put in a Kahler trem instead, on my old Yamaha. Ruined the tone of the guitar and the trem arm snapped off in the socket - leaving the stump in the socket thread. End of body for me and I threw it out (was worth 0$ anyways).

OzziePete said:

I asked a repairer years ago, when Floyds were making an impact, to install a Floyd Rose Trem and he put in a Kahler trem instead, on my old Yamaha. Ruined the tone of the guitar and the trem arm snapped off in the socket - leaving the stump in the socket thread. End of body for me and I threw it out (was worth 0$ anyways).

That's a new one one me.  You must be really hard on your whammies!  :icon_jokercolor:

DocNrock said:
OzziePete said:

That's a new one one me.  You must be really hard on your whammies!   :icon_jokercolor:
Mr. Wham-o-rama..... :party07:

DocNrock said:
OzziePete said:

That's a new one one me.  You must be really hard on your whammies!   :icon_jokercolor:

I put it down to inferior steel in the whammy arm myself, I'm more a Bigsby style of whammy user than an Eddie Van Halen - FR divebomber!

Forced me to buy my Strat so the end result was worth it, I guess....  :icon_biggrin:

Back