I'm back from Oregon, and I met a former Warmoth employee.

hannaugh

Master Member
So, we were in Portland and the people we were visiting were driving us around showing us the sites.  We went past this junk shop called "Really Good Stuff", and there was a guy named Walter (who was actually a friend of our friends).  He was working on a bunch of old guitars and interesting things in the back, and I mentioned my Warmoth LP, and he said that he used to work at Warmoth, which I thought was cool.  The shop was cool too... they did have lot of Really Good Stuff.

Oh, and we drank a lot of beer at various pubs, went to Apple Music, etc... and one of our friends taught me some very useful slide guitar techniques.

Thanks Max.

Oh and I forgot to mention: the guy who taught me the slide stuff makes marimbas for a living, and he had a bunch of exotic wood that he wasn't going to use, so he gave me a bunch of Padouk and some majorly figured Honduran Rosewood for free (after a detailed explanation of how the marimbas are constructed and tuned, which I found quite interesting).  I'll take pictures of the goodies later when I've recovered from the 16 hours of driving to get back home.

My parents took me on a vacation to Portland OR when i was about 10 or 12.
I remember that we got lost on the way to the hotel. We didn't know how close Portland was to Washington, so we were flipping out when we ended up in Washington before we even made it to the hotel.

16 hours? I think that would drive me nuts to be in the car that long. :tard:

When i was 7 or 8, my Mom took me to Florida to visit my sister. (My sister is alot older than i am...)
After about 9 hours on the plane, when we landed the first words out of my mouth as i got up were,  "my butt itches". My Mom got really mad and made me apologize to every passenger within earshot as they walked off the plane.
That memory has always stuck with me because it was so hilarious.

That's great, hannaugh.  16 hours in a car and I'd have more than one speeding ticket.  :icon_biggrin:

I traveled 16 hours in a car about 2 weeks ago. down to melbourne, back home, up to canberra and then home! It wasn't fun.

But I didn't get a load of free exotic woods, I only got easter eggs.

DocNrock said:
That's great, hannaugh.  16 hours in a car and I'd have more than one speeding ticket.   :icon_biggrin:
Try 56 hours in a car. Done that several times, drove from Texas to PA and straight back. Just stopped for gas and eats and to pick up my wifes daughter then headed right back to Texas...

Hannaugh, 16 hours to Portland, where do live? I thought you were in Wa.... :icon_scratch:

line6man said:
DangerousR6 said:
Hannaugh, 16 hours to Portland, where do live? I thought you were in Wa.... :icon_scratch:

I thought she was in Fullerton CA?
I may have been mistaken then, could be someone else I was thinking of.... :dontknow:

Yeah that's a long drive, I've done it one day before but it is a killer. 1000 miles exactly. Glad you had a great time in my old stomping grounds.

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I do live in Fullerton.  I was born in Washington though.  It was a long drive, though we did stop overnight at a friend's house so we split it up into one 9 hour day and a 7 hour day.  At least a lot of the drive was pretty, esp in Oregon and in Nor Cal around Lake Shasta.

It's nice to have a scenic drive instead of being on the damn freeway.

My luthier is in Huntington beach, which is a 40 mile drive from me. I hate having to drive 40 miles just to see a luthier (there is no one closer), but the drive out there is amazing. Coasting thru all the cool beach towns is almost worth the drive just for the sights.

line6man said:
We didn't know how close Portland was to Washington, so we were flipping out when we ended up in Washington before we even made it to the hotel.

Same here, my wife was driving.  We didn't flip out though.  We'd never been to WA so that little detour was cool.  Finally went to a Trader Joes.

GOD I miss Trader Joe's!!! They have one in New Jersey that I've only been to twice (no car), but it doesn't even have any Mexican food or alcohol. AArgh!

What I love is that when you cross the border into Oregon, the price of gas drops 25 cents AND somebody pumps it for you!

DangerousR6 said:
Try 56 hours in a car. Done that several times, drove from Texas to PA and straight back. Just stopped for gas and eats and to pick up my wifes daughter then headed right back to Texas...

why not go on airplane?  :icon_scratch:

Back