If you became a famous musician, would you endorse Warmoth for free?

Would you put you name on the line for free to help the company make money?

  • Yes

    Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No

    Votes: 3 8.3%
  • They would need to give me parts.

    Votes: 18 50.0%

  • Total voters
    36

kidgloves2

Active member
Messages
44
Imagine making warmoth more popular! If they did even better, there might even be more options. Would you endorse them for free or would you want stuff?
 

DiMitriR33

Senior member
Messages
604
no, i wouldn't hide the fact i used there stuff but i like there stuff because not every one has it. if every one started buying warmoth then my guitars would be just a little less special and a little less unique.
 

Uff-Da

Active member
Messages
48
Hummm....I am not sure that I want to answer this question, so I am never going to be a famous musician.

(Well, that and skill, drive and luck)

 

dbw

Senior member
Messages
4,531
Sure, but if their volumes go way up, prices could go up and quality down... this would be bad :(
 

ocguy106

Senior member
Messages
731
dbw said:
Sure, but if their volumes go way up, prices could go up and quality down... this would be bad :(

If volume goes up then prices come DOWN at the sake of quality. Now if the demand went up but the quanity remained the same then price would go up but quality would be maintained.

In any buisnes model you have 3 variables

Time
Cost
Quality

You can have any 2 of then at the cost of the third. example:
1. If you want somthing fast (time) and cheap (cost) it will come at the cost of quality.
2. If you want somthing Low cost and of good qualtiy it comes at the expense of time
3. If you want somthing fast and of good quality it is gonna cost you $$$
 

jalbertochavez

Senior member
Messages
249
jackthehack said:
Nope - it would take me even longer to get custom orders....

DiMitriR33 said:
no, i wouldn't hide the fact i used there stuff but i like there stuff because not every one has it. if every one started buying warmoth then my guitars would be just a little less special and a little less unique.

Jackthehack & DiMitriR33 have the best reasons so far, IMHO. If I ever acheived some notoriety I'd love to endorse Warmoth. However, I think it's better this way. So many things turn to sh-t when they get big, corporate, and commercialized.  Let's keep it our own. Let's keep it special.

Plus it always feels good to walk into any music store, see people drooling over $2K+ stock guitars, and know that any of my Warmoths could knock the sh-t out of 'em.  :headbang1:

 

JohninSC

Senior member
Messages
124
jackthehack said:
Nope - it would take me even longer to get custom orders....

DiMitriR33 said:
no, i wouldn't hide the fact i used there stuff but i like there stuff because not every one has it. if every one started buying warmoth then my guitars would be just a little less special and a little less unique.

Those are pretty selfish reasons. Im pretty sure Warmoth doesnt exist just to make you 2 happy. They provide a service, and if the service had a higher need, Warmoth could expand their business to accommodate. That wouldnt nessicarily have any effect on delivery times, price, or quality.
 
G

guitlouie

Guest
Hey, who says I'm not already a famous musician (in my own mind)???  I don't do anything for free!  Help a little old lady across the street?  It's gonna cost her!  I am kidding of course, but in all seriousness,  I don't think any of us can really say for certain what they would do in any "fill in the blank" hypothetical situation.  It's great to have ideals and try to stick to them, but if I gave up my 9-5 to try my hand at playing music full time, I think that any offers of  a "put food on the table" nature would be considered. 
 

Alfang

Senior member
Messages
2,596
I wouldn't endorse Wormoth for free, because Warmoth doesn't help Guitar players now.

I haven't heard of any guitar players out there with a Warmoth guitar deal, Unlike every other guitar maker who has deals for famous players.
 

Patrick from Davis

Senior member
Messages
2,197
I don't think endorsing Warmoth would change too much.  Those of us around here have the need to mess around with our guitars, obsess over wood choices, and nit pick finishes.  I won't start with the topic of deciding on wiring options/pick ups.  The great part about the DIY options is getting what you want.  By doing it yourself, it is generally cheaper to get this.  Warmoth adds the cherry on top by providing parts that are better than what is generally available from the big guys.  But even if you were to become the biggest star on the planet, and full endorse only Warmoth, would the market for building your own guitar/bass change that much?  I suppose all of the folks around the board here could build guitars and charge exorbitant prices to people that do not want to get their hands dirty, but that wouldn't really be that bad of a thing...
Patrick

 

rahimiiii

Senior member
Messages
311
I think Warmoth will run into legal trouble if they were endorsed by an artist. Remember that Warmoth is licensed by Fender to make REPLACEMENT parts, not complete guitars.

If Warmoth were to be endorsed then they will have to come up with their own body and headstock shape... and the endorsed guitar can't be anything that looks like a strat or tele or Les Paul or whatever. In all of seriousness if a star were to endorse a Warmoth strat they would be endorsing Fender, because the guitar looks like something Fender made, and Fender will most likely pull the licensing agreement and sue Warmoth for that.

The difference with other companies is that they produce complete guitar that they trademarked themselves. There are plenty of big stars using Warmoth stuff (like SRV and etc) but they probably don't endorse Warmoth for the same reason.
 

jalbertochavez

Senior member
Messages
249
rahimiiii said:
I think Warmoth will run into legal trouble if they were endorsed by an artist. Remember that Warmoth is licensed by Fender to make REPLACEMENT parts, not complete guitars.

If Warmoth were to be endorsed then they will have to come up with their own body and headstock shape... and the endorsed guitar can't be anything that looks like a strat or tele or Les Paul or whatever. In all of seriousness if a star were to endorse a Warmoth strat they would be endorsing Fender, because the guitar looks like something Fender made, and Fender will most likely pull the licensing agreement and sue Warmoth for that.

The difference with other companies is that they produce complete guitar that they trademarked themselves. There are plenty of big stars using Warmoth stuff (like SRV and etc) but they probably don't endorse Warmoth for the same reason.

Man, I think rahimiiii just crushed the game on this thread. I don't know much about the legal side of their business, but that could probably be true.
 

jackthehack

Senior member
Messages
5,630
ocguy106 said:
dbw said:
Sure, but if their volumes go way up, prices could go up and quality down... this would be bad :(

If volume goes up then prices come DOWN at the sake of quality. Now if the demand went up but the quanity remained the same then price would go up but quality would be maintained.

In any buisnes model you have 3 variables

Time
Cost
Quality

You can have any 2 of then at the cost of the third. example:
1. If you want somthing fast (time) and cheap (cost) it will come at the cost of quality.
2. If you want somthing Low cost and of good qualtiy it comes at the expense of time
3. If you want somthing fast and of good quality it is gonna cost you $$$

Your analysis in my case fails due to the fact that I like to order exotic woods that exist in finite and ever decreasing quantities, any increase in demand for such pushes up the price. If you've been into Warmoth for 2-3 years it's shocking how high prices have gone up in such a short time, even taking into account the Bush Administration's and American Consumer's fiscal irresponsibility pushing the dollar's value so low.
 

rightintheface

Senior member
Messages
326
i am also selfish.
i love the fact that i step on stage and i can see all the gear head leaning forward and squinting at it over their beers, and then whispering to their mates "what the hell is that?!?!?!?!?"
the individualistic stylings of unique builds is what drew me to warmoth. to get away from the "stock" guitars out there. not knocking anyone who builds strat copies etc (ill be making a pretty stock LP down the line).
i actually was gonna buy a les paul BFG, for around $2100 australian. i was gonna put covers on the pups, change knobs, at this that and the other. then i discovered warmoth. have built my own completely custom, pimped out (locking tuners/bridge etc etc), individual axe, for just under $1600.

hard to even look at guitars on the helf these days...
 

ocguy106

Senior member
Messages
731
jackthehack said:
ocguy106 said:
dbw said:
Sure, but if their volumes go way up, prices could go up and quality down... this would be bad :(

If volume goes up then prices come DOWN at the sake of quality. Now if the demand went up but the quanity remained the same then price would go up but quality would be maintained.

In any buisnes model you have 3 variables

Time
Cost
Quality

You can have any 2 of then at the cost of the third. example:
1. If you want somthing fast (time) and cheap (cost) it will come at the cost of quality.
2. If you want somthing Low cost and of good qualtiy it comes at the expense of time
3. If you want somthing fast and of good quality it is gonna cost you $$$

Your analysis in my case fails due to the fact that I like to order exotic woods that exist in finite and ever decreasing quantities, any increase in demand for such pushes up the price. If you've been into Warmoth for 2-3 years it's shocking how high prices have gone up in such a short time, even taking into account the Bush Administration's and American Consumer's fiscal irresponsibility pushing the dollar's value so low.

In your case it is simple supply and demand...as supply dwindles due to finite resources or the inability to produce at the level of demand... then the price must go up.
 

JohninSC

Senior member
Messages
124
rightintheface said:
i am also selfish.
i love the fact that i step on stage and i can see all the gear head leaning forward and squinting at it over their beers, and then whispering to their mates "what the hell is that?!?!?!?!?"
the individualistic stylings of unique builds is what drew me to warmoth. to get away from the "stock" guitars out there. not knocking anyone who builds strat copies etc (ill be making a pretty stock LP down the line).
i actually was gonna buy a les paul BFG, for around $2100 australian. i was gonna put covers on the pups, change knobs, at this that and the other. then i discovered warmoth. have built my own completely custom, pimped out (locking tuners/bridge etc etc), individual axe, for just under $1600.

hard to even look at guitars on the helf these days...

Ok, so now youre either egotistical or have an inferiority complex. Dude, you just admitted to wanting a business not to do as well as it could, just so you can get your kicks by confusing a bunch of drunks at a bar
 

tfarny

Senior member
Messages
4,481
Hey John, I've got news for ya. Lots of people want to be unique in some way. There's nothing wrong with that, so chill please.
 
Top