If I owned Warmoth...

dbw

Master Member
What would you do if you owned Warmoth?  I'd have them make me a bound-headstock LP neck.  And I'd spend all day just bumming around the factory and getting in the way of the pros!  :p

Hey Ken, you thinking of selling?  :toothy12:

I like the look too, but if I owned the place, I would have to crunch the numbers. I honestly doubt that they would get even a dozen orders a year for a bound headstock. Not to mention tooling up, training, and finding a dedicated space in the shop just for that process.

But hey, I've been wrong before. They might sell like hotcakes. But it would take a serious chunk of cash on Warmoth's part to find out.

Not sure if it is even possible, but I'd make a CNC for necks and bodies available over the net for rent.  Let users design whatever they needed to to make their own bodies regardless of what they were.  Maybe a nice loophole for a PRS dead on copy or what have you given that technically you just provided the blank lumber and the use of your machine.  Probably not possible at all, but that would be my ideal.

Now, realistically, I'd start putting out a lot more LP and LPS bodies and necks.

Lucky #7 said:
Not sure if it is even possible, but I'd make a CNC for necks and bodies available over the net for rent.  Let users design whatever they needed to to make their own bodies regardless of what they were.  Maybe a nice loophole for a PRS dead on copy or what have you given that technically you just provided the blank lumber and the use of your machine.  Probably not possible at all, but that would be my ideal.

Now, realistically, I'd start putting out a lot more LP and LPS bodies and necks.

Hmmm. Then prepare for Warmoth prices to increase 100%+ across the board. In my 52 years on the planet, the only original ideas I've seen in decades are from BC Rich. Every nimrod with an "original" idea would be wanting some perverted version of a Fender or Gibson. Your idea would have lawyers from every country on earth flying to Washington state to feast on the Warmoth carcass. Bassists are the only ones with original ideas these days. I doubt many would cough up the CNC charge in the first place.

And 99% of guitar players cannot get over the Les Paul bolt neck issue. I personally have found it to be a non-issue. Never noticed it while playing. A ton of folks will not even consider it. And more power to them.

Warmoth is not a guitar maker. They make parts.

Jeez. Seriously, ya'll need to hang out at Stew-Mac, buy some tools, buy some wood, and make your damned one-of-a-kind-guitar.

That requires a level of talent I just don't have.  I need Warmoth to do it for me.  I'm totally happy with what they've got now (ok, maybe I could do with some more necks right now) and will hopefully back in the market within the year.

If I owned Warmoth I'd offer more scale length options. Particularly 24.5", 25", and 25.25" scale lengths. Maybe some really crazy ones like 22" or 18" too.

more herringbone.  :eek: arch top the L5S. and wage war against all the ply wood in the world!!  :evil4:muhahaha 

Funny thing is you think he was just up that entire time, but in reality that just happened to be how many times he had to get up to pee. :laughing8:

Max (the artist formerly known as Mor Paul) said:
More cowbell.

Maybe add some more paint options. And a 335 body shape.

Hahahaha.... I think Max (not Mark, sorry :p) takes the grand prize!

Would the grand prize be $433? :p Exactly what I need to complete my telecaster.

Oh, off topic, but how long does it take to send a showcase body and neck?

Max (the artist formerly known as Mor Paul) said:
Oh, off topic, but how long does it take to send a showcase body and neck?

Depends what needs to be done... a few weeks if you're having a neck fretted or something, longer if you're having them finish something.

Back