Idea for passive boost.

Heft

I have an idea for a passive boost. What I want to accomplish is to wire my individual pickup in series with itself.  I think this is possible by having a 8kish Ohm pickup run into a loop before hitting a 16kish Ohm resistor. The resistor should cause it to loop twice then go to the rest of the circuit.
Something like this.

Has anything like this ever been tried. Is this something that might work?
QgKyWyZ.png

If you take 2 garden hoses, split them and then combine them back together you will get twice as much water as connecting just one hose to the faucet, right?

IOW, no this will do nothing.

So what if there was a transistor between the pickup and the loop? Like in early transistor radios?

The added inductor (loop) will only increase the circuit's action as a low pass filter. Essentially, you can't do anything to boost signal by adding passive components that aren't part of the magnetic circuit.

Adding a transistor won't do anything unless it has a power source at some known VCC. And you'd use 2, not one, say a matched pair of npn/pnp transistors to amplify current. Which is to say you're adding a preamp.

Just get an EMG PA-2, so much simpler to install and dial in as much or little boost as you want, and trust me, you will have far more available to you than you will actually need.  Having said that, once installed, dial the boost all the way back to nothing, and then with micro moves, increase until desire boost is achieved.

Back