I will just throw this out there. *UPDATE* with drums! Link in post #7

DocNrock

Master Member
It's called "Wild Horses."  Probably the best thing I ever came up with.  No drums (yet), but the drummer from my old band many moons ago is coming up with something.  For now, it is me on the rhythm, lead, and bass.  By the way, all are Warmoths except for the bass (Ibanez).  It is on Jumpshare.  Copyrighted.  :) 

http://jmp.sh/bG95qqz

*UPDATE* New version with drums.  The link is in my post below (the 7th post of this thread).  I also changed the verse melody line to something I like better.

Won't play for me for some reason.

As an aside, you know The Rolling Stones already did a song called "Wild Horses", right?

Played for me and sounded pretty good.
Love to hear it after you add in the drum track!

Nice tune. I like sound of guitar in the solo and the dramatic end of it. 
There is some movie music to it :)

@Cagey and Mayfly:  Thanks for trying to give it a listen.  The main rhythm part behind what I call the chorus that has a repeating pinch harmonic that made me think of the name.  I imagined a wild horse up on its hind legs shaking its head, whinnying.  After I named the song, I remembered the Stones had a song by the same name.  I tried to come up with another name, but nothing really fit.  So I left it.  It wouldn't be the first time two different songs written by two different people had the same name.  :laughing7:

@Uffe Steen:  Thanks!  It's funny you mention "movie music."  One of my friends gave it a listen and said that it made him feel like he met and lost the love of his life, all the while destroying the town in a Ferrari Testarossa, then driving off into the California sunset!  Fairly abstract, but I loved it!

@Ddbltrbl:  Thank you, as well!  See below about the drums.

@Grape Ape:  Thanks for trying to give it a listen.  :glasses9:  See below. 

I now have a rough mix with drums.  I've also redone the melody line over the part I call the verse.  The other one I just didn't like as much. 

Axe-ology:
  Rhythm Guitar 1:  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8401.msg109387#msg109387 (Pickup:  DiMarzio Fast Track 2, bridge)
  Rhythm Guitar 2:  BC Rich Mockingbird ST (Pickup:  DiMarzio LiquiFire, neck) 
  Intro and Outro leads:  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8397.msg108804#msg108804 (Pickup:  DiMarzio Super Distortion, bridge)
  Verse, Chorus, and Bridge melodies: http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8399.0 (Pickup:  DiMarzio Tone Zone, bridge)
  Main Solo:  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=7954.0 (Pickup:  DiMarzio Gravity Storm, bridge)
  Bass:  Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM (Pickup:  Bartolini, bridge/neck mix)
  Guitar Amp:  Peavey JSX 212 Combo, Ultra channel (Telefunken 12AX7 V1-V3, Sovtek LPS V4, RCA Blackplate 6L6GC power tubes), Peavey JSX 4x12 Cabinet
  Guitar Effects:  Boss CS-3 Compressor, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss RV-5 Digital Reverb.  Delay on Verse, Chorus, and Bridge melodies.  Reverb on all other guitar parts (except bass; no bass effects)
  Bass Amp:  Ampeg SVT-7 Pro Head, Ampeg PF 210HE Cabinet.

So, it now has a drum track.  It sounds like a totally different song.  The drums still need some work, but I think Chip did a pretty good job for doing this remotely (I live in So Cal and he lives in Ohio).  When we decided to do a remote project together, he went out and bought a used 32(!) track recorder.  It took him forever to learn how to work it.  Even now, he hasn't yet been able to directly export his tracks to the computer.  He goes through some process that I don't quite understand, but ultimately, he got me a track that I was able to mix in to my parts.  I've asked him to cut the snare a bit in his mix and to somehow tighten up the kick drum sound.  Also, his drum part behind choruses 2 and 3 (about 1:40 to 1:56 and 2:12:15 to 2:28:18), to me, don't really fit; they kind of hold back the song instead of grooving it forward.  Everything else he came up with, I like.  It might have been easier to use a drum machine, but that would have taken the fun out of jamming again with one of my old bandmates, even if it is remotely.  :eek:ccasion14:

Here it is, with a drum track:  http://jmp.sh/W0jTSbH 

Let me know if there is a problem with hearing it.  I logged out of Jumpshare and tried the link.  It worked for me.  When the page comes up, I did have to click the play arrow to the left of the bar graphic. It takes about 4 1/2 seconds before the song starts. 

I probably should have waited to post until the final drum part is done, but I have no idea when that will be, and I'm excited to share it!  :headbang1: 

I had another thought about this song.  Another person who gave it a listen felt that it dragged a bit.  The beat is currently 118 bpm.  I played the rhythm at 132 bpm and it does kind of take on a whole new life.  The clean intro and outro, however, don't like the faster pace, and half-time it really drags.  So, I could do another version at 132 bpm with the same arrangement, but I would scrap the clean intro and outro.  Thoughts?

For those of you who replied, or reply to follow.  Thanks for the feedback!  :rock-on:

An old trick I use often in these sorts of situations. Instead of halftime, place a hihat click, cowbell, or whatever, ever dotted quarter note(one and a half beats). Mute the metronome and play the clean part over that... I've done it for a lot of tracks in the past, works a charm.  You've got a new tempo that's faster than halftime but slower than full, and it makes a very cool transition into a faster part.

ಠ_ಠ said:
An old trick I use often in these sorts of situations. Instead of halftime, place a hihat click, cowbell, or whatever, ever dotted quarter note(one and a half beats). Mute the metronome and play the clean part over that... I've done it for a lot of tracks in the past, works a charm.  You've got a new tempo that's faster than halftime but slower than full, and it makes a very cool transition into a faster part.

That is a cool idea!  I will give that a try.  If it doesn't work for this one, it certainly is a great trick to have on hand for future projects!  I'd thank you by screen name, but, um, I'm not sure how to do that.  :laughing7:

:rock-on:

I can't get to it. My machine doesn't agree with something about Jumpshare.

Some folks use "Soundcloud". I don't know much about it, other than it works and is what they tend to use on a lotta music sites where players want to share audio examples.

Another option would be to convert it to a WAV, FLAC, OGG, or MP3 and stash it on a public server somewhere.

Cagey said:
I can't get to it. My machine doesn't agree with something about Jumpshare.

Some folks use "Soundcloud". I don't know much about it, other than it works and is what they tend to use on a lotta music sites where players want to share audio examples.

Another option would be to convert it to a WAV, FLAC, OGG, or MP3 and stash it on a public server somewhere.

Hmm, that's odd.  It is a .wav file.  When you click on the link, do you not get a page that has a bar in the center, with an arrowhead (play icon) on the left, progress meter in the center and time played/total time to the right of that?  I never heard of soundcloud.  I'll take a look into it.

Thanks for trying to give it a listen!  :icon_thumright:

Cagey, give this a try:  https://soundcloud.com/docnrock/wild-horses

I hope it works.  Let me know if it doesn't for some reason.  :glasses9:

That works.

You're right; the drums need some help. The drummer is doing a good job, but the recording leaves a lot to be desired. An electronic drummer makes recording easier, but creating tracks more difficult, so that's a judgement call.

Also, the lead guitar sounds like it's placed in a different room from the rest of it. Maybe goose that a tad or back off the rest. Might be able to just re-amp it, although the tone sounds good so I'd hesitate to do that unless all else fails.

Overall, though, I thought it was a good piece. I wouldn't change the station if I heard it on the radio.

Cagey said:
That works.

You're right; the drums need some help. The drummer is doing a good job, but the recording leaves a lot to be desired. An electronic drummer makes recording easier, but creating tracks more difficult, so that's a judgement call.

Also, the lead guitar sounds like it's placed in a different room from the rest of it. Maybe goose that a tad or back off the rest. Might be able to just re-amp it, although the tone sounds good so I'd hesitate to do that unless all else fails.

Overall, though, I thought it was a good piece. I wouldn't change the station if I heard it on the radio.

Thank you, Cagey, for the feedback, good and not so good.  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Right now, I'm doing a little experiment.  I'm throwing together a quick version with the drum machine at 128 bpm instead of 118, without the clean parts, to see if it flows a bit better. 

I'm listening to it now. To me the overall idea works. But the timing and balance between the parts would benefit from being tightened up. The important thing is though putting it together in the first place.

stratamania said:
I'm listening to it now. To me the overall idea works. But the timing and balance between the parts would benefit from being tightened up. The important thing is though putting it together in the first place.

Thanks, man.  Point well taken and appreciated.  It truly is just a rough draft.  The guitar and bass parts were put down to a metronome, so they should be in time.  The drum track I got from my friend was a pre-mixed single track, so I did the best I could in mixing the levels.  But it was the first thing he sent me.  And this project is my first attempt ever at multitrack recording, so I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve.  The uploaded file is just a bounce-down mono track; it is not a mastered stereo mix.  Lots of work still to be done.

On a different note, I had said I was going to throw something together at a somewhat faster tempo.  One person who listened to the original thought that it kind of dragged, a bit.  I kind of like the quicker tempo better, actually.  I used a drum machine at 128 bpm (original was 118).  At that tempo, the clean parts sounded rushed, so I left them out.  This was a quick and dirty recording this afternoon, so there might be some minor mistakes, and I didn't spend a lot of time dialing in my tone.  Drum machine, single rhythm guitar, bass guitar, and melodies recorded individually, then bounced down to a single mono track.  I didn't spend a lot of time optimizing levels, so they might be a bit off to someone who has a discriminating ear.  I didn't take the time to relearn and record my original solo as that would probably be a full-day project, so that part is blank.  I'm curious to see which version is more well-liked (or, less hated... :laughing7:)

Soundcloud:  https://soundcloud.com/docnrock/wh-128bpm-w-drumwav

Jumpshare:  http://jmp.sh/cHlBIc4     

I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, but it does seem to feel better.

Okay, now that I've had a chance to listen, I'll give my (probably rather harsh) feedback.

The concept is fine. No issues there. Writing is also fine.

The execution... Needs work.

Firstly, I'll go against some of the other opinions and say that I think the drums are awful. The parts are lame, the timing is way off, and the snare sounds like a cardboard box.

Not to be too harsh.

Your playing is fine. No issues there.

I'll lay some programmed drums over it if you're open to that. Send the track, sans drums, to prestonrice236 at gmail.com if you like. They'll sound like real drums, I promise. :blob7:

Back