I really want an SG that looks like this

I think both the Floyd and Kahler are pretty unattractive, but I think if I were to build this SG, it would need a high performance trem. 

well a wilky or hipshot it is then! :)

it is funny how a lot of people who hate the look of a floyd, seem to like a bigsby!
now that is a big ass bulky trem!! and very functional!  :icon_tongue:

Marko said:

it is funny how a lot of people who hate the look of a floyd, seem to like a bigsby!
It looks much smoother to me, more classic.

Orpheo said:
NonsenseTele said:
Orpheo said:
GoDrex said:
Why is it that hardly anyone uses them?

they cost a lot. really, a lot. almost double the price of a floyd. and its not 'easy' to retrofit a guitar with a kahler, whilst putting a floyd in a guitar is easier. most guitars which get a floyd already have a stratstyle trem...and kahlers haven't been around for 10 years, they're just 'coming back'. and because many people dont know about kahler, or dont know how to work them, and because there's no kaher licenced trem, like floyd rose has (until recently, kahler now has the xtrem, which is an OEM produkt I believe), people aren't used to those things, but now you see them more and more.

And because they're fugly too :laughing7:

If I'm not wrong, Gregg and some others guys told it feels like shaking a dead hand :tard:

shaking a dead hand? its a smooth unit, but not whobbly or something. its actually, kind of tight.

this kind of stories, hearsay, are also a major reason why you don't see them a lot.
No hearsay with my opinion about Kahler. Used a Kahler on my number one guitar playing in cover band 5-6 nights a week, 5 hours per night for at least 2 years. Kind of familiar, I am. If you're active on stage playing something high energy and putting on a show by moving around alot, that Kahler bar feels very light weight in your hand. If I were sitting calmly in a chair playing by myself, I suppose the Kahler's easy going tension wouldn't feel so weird to me. It held up OK with a lot of abuse but I definately prefer a Floyd as live player.

Marko said:

I like how Bigsbys look, but I hate how they cover up so much of the guitar.  Only to be used on a solid finish or an L5S if you ask me. 

I don't really know that much about tremolos though.  I have one on my Ibanez and I almost never touch the thing.  But I think it would be a crime to not put one on this hypothetical SG I will own x-amount of years from now.

Orpheo said:
why floyd? why not a kahler? kahlers ar far superior to floyds, in every aspect, in my opinion.

I've never seen a Kahler that was a good as a Floyd. There's a reason that Floyds are more popular...

I guess I would go for a Floyd if I was picking a trem.  I would have to put a tremol-no on it though.  I have just gotten way to used to the fixed bridge benefits that trem systems are quite a bit foreign now.  I do like the fine tuners, but I really dislike the locking nut.  
Patrick

T.L. said:
Orpheo said:
why floyd? why not a kahler? kahlers ar far superior to floyds, in every aspect, in my opinion.

I've never seen a Kahler that was a good as a Floyd. There's a reason that Floyds are more popular...

I don't agree. I haven't seen, on my acount, a floyd that does the job as good as a kahler.

@violations: I still am. but if I had to do it allover again, I'd use kahler instead of hipshot on some guitars. but on strats, a hipshot is what I prefer. on lesters, I prefer the kahler. so, its a bit of both.

@gregg.I didnt mean what you were saying was hearsay, I believe you and your experience. what I meant was that one guy doesnt like it, and the negative talks about it get spread like the plague, and suddently, many people have an opinion, based on what they've HEARD, not actually tried. most players of my age haven't tried kahler, but dont like it because of the hearsay.

I understand why some like the floyd, but for me, its a bad design. the kahler is (for me) better. I've already explained it in another topic. the great things are in short: change in tone is not as drastic as with the floyd, knifes wont blunt out with heavy use, because they aren't there. no ball-clipping! better ways of intonation and general adjustment. the fact that with EXTREME bends (which my fingers can't even do, but thats due to my .11 gauge strings) the kahler goes a bit out of tune, and a divebomb is needed to be intune again, is a small price to pay, for me anyway. I've NEVER had a floyd that stayed in tune. my girlfriend once had to pull my hair, cause I wanted to trash it. I was trying to just TUNE it, for like 30 minutes. GET REAL! with my kahler, its done in 5 minutes. if I lock it down, its even faster. I unlock it, the tune is just a bit off, finetuners, and its done. Its done, for WEEKS.

edit: I forgot... the kahler needs just 20% of the cavity you need for a floyd that combined with all the contactpoints, I just dont understand why people still chose a floyd.

T.L. said:
Orpheo said:

read your historybooks. in the 80ies, kahlers WERE more popular. kahler also once made a fullcrum tremolo, like a floyd rose. it had the floyd rose licence, but FR sued kahler, and in 1995, kahler had to stop manufacturing tremolo's. in 2005, they came back though, but in the meantime, floyd rose has gained a LOT of popularity; afterall, it was the ONLY tremolo available, aftermarket and in guitars, which was a 2 point locking tremolo with finetuners. No competition! In Europe, that could have NEVER happened, because a monopoly is not allowed here, but I see that in the USA that's less of a problem.

and because floyd rose gave out licences like santa's elves give away candy, a lot of licenced and OEM products find their way on guitars. even the original floyd rose unit has seen several versions.

thats why they are more popular, not because they're better. in the 80ies, kahler was more popular. on 1 hand, because they WERE better, but on the other hand, floyd roses were only to be found on kramer guitars (EvH huh..) but after floyd rose let that arrangement go, cause kramers didnt sell as good as was hoped, floyd rose still didnt sell as much as kahler, so thats why kahler got the licence. but kahler got screwd over by floyd rose. he changed the licence-deal, and thats why kahler just got back to manufacturing.

Within a year I believe, they will make a new fullcrum tremolo. I've seen the design specs...all I can say is: sweeeet!!!!

Orpheo said:
read your historybooks. in the 80ies, kahlers WERE more popular.

Who was using them? Besides Adrian Belew I can't think of anyone big that used them. But I can name tons of guys other than EVH that used Floyds in the 80's and 90's

slayer,iron maiden, judas priest, I've seen Mick mars with kahlers too.

besides:

dude!!!! its here 2 AM. i'm too tired to look it up. but it's more than one for sure...

Orpheo said:

besides:

dude!!!! its here 2 AM. i'm too tired to look it up. but it's more than one for sure...

Haha I just ate dinner its 7:40

ey, I'm from the netherlands  :headbang1: thats why its so late here ;) and I'm still willing to talk about kahlers and tremolos  :doh:

Orpheo said:

besides:

Iron Maiden is pretty much all Floyd.  :icon_scratch:

Back