I really want an SG that looks like this

GoDrex said:
Besides Adrian Belew I can't think of anyone big that used them.

Robert Fripp is kinda big. Kahler user since '83-'84 (Ade now uses the Parker whammy on his signature guitar).

DocNrock said:
Orpheo said:
slayer,iron maiden, judas priest, I've seen Mick mars with kahlers too.

besides:

dude!!!! its here 2 AM. i'm too tired to look it up. but it's more than one for sure...

Iron Maiden is pretty much all Floyd.   :icon_scratch:

now they are. they used to have a whole bunch of kahlers in the old days. dont ask me how (or why!) but I've got kinda first hand info from maiden. and they confirmed: we used a LOT of kahlers back then. every time you see a floyd, its a kramer guitar with a fender neck, but they prefered kahlers.

84glovedones2wj2.jpg

DaveyFanPage.jpg

can't find more pics. on the last pic you clearly see where the arm attaches, and thats not at the regular floyd rose location. also the finetuners are different. the moment floyd roses were more easy to purchase, he got those instead, becuase (as I already said), it was easier to retrofit a strat with a floyd than with a kahler.

oh yeah, I'm stupid. Fripp, indeed.

Uh, this seems like a silly argument.  Who cares who uses them?  If you like them use them.  If you prefer Floyd, use those.  Me?  I'm still waiting to build that Bigsby Tele! 

I remember the battle of the trems well from back in the 80s.  I think Kahler simply lost because they had an inferior product and once that became clear to everyone they simply faded away.  I'm really glad they are back though as it was a real bitch to get spare parts for their trems before their revival.  Not to mention the internet wasn't around as we know it today for most of that period.  Damn, if you broke your kahler you were screwed.  I lived in Europe at the time and I used to pick up copies of Guitar Player and call US music stores that advertized in there at random to find out if they had any spares for sale.  One of the saddles on the fulcrum trem I had on my Charvel 2 (which I sold to NH Spike who's also on this forum) broke in 1992.  I didn't manage to track down the spare part until 1999!  That was a happy day let me tell you.  Their fulcrum trem is nowhere near as good as a floyd - though I get that it was not their flagship product.  Anyone remember the washburn wonderbar?  that was another contender at the time...

Sorry to highjack the thread.

Back