I ordered one without Birdseye or Flame

Tonar8352

I ordered one with out Birdseye or Flame but this is a nice ¼ sawn Fatback that showed up yesterday.

IMG_2559.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the straight grian.

IMG_2557.jpg

Nice fat chunck of wood, 1 11/16 nut with 6150 frets.

IMG_2555.jpg

My helper Layla.  She's got me on me on my knees; that is the only way I can pick her up since she is so low to the ground.

IMG_2561.jpg

This looks very much like my tele necks - again ordered w/o flame or birds-eye.

I agree - a nice piece of wood!  Perfectly up to the task at hand.

Nice neck!!

Ordering a neck "without figure" or "clean maple" is not an option.  In fact you are likely to get some figuring of one nature or another.

Quartersawn is the best choice if you are looking for something with the least chance of figuring... however flame is often found in quartersawn maple.

Best suggestion is to choose something from the showcase if this is a major concern.

Max said:
But WHY?!  :eek:

Why what?  No 'without figuring option?'  Because this is wood we're talking about and can be full of surprises.

It is very difficult to determine *exactly* what the figuration will be on a finished neck by looking at the raw stock.  A neck blank might be clean on the surface but may hold beautiful birdseyes once the neck has been cut and shaped.

Ordering plain maple does not guarantee no figuration.  Some figure is common and is likely.  If you want something very specific, best to head straight to the Showcase.

Um, I think Tonar was saying he didn't request anything specific but look at the gorgeous neck he got. Can't wait to see the results Tonar.

Thanks, Wyliee, but I was just joking around and wondering why he didn't get a 5A or something :p

+1 on beauty with simplicity. It's one of the factors I chose my neck with.

What's this going on, Tonar?

This is blasphemy from you, Greg  :laughing7:

And I love salsichas hehehe But never saw one in that color, here they are only brown and veeery short hair :dontknow:
IMG_2561.jpg

Nice and simple. Love it.  :headbang:

I dunno, I like my necks plain and simple, like this.  I don't do flamed or birdseye necks. Just not my style...

Cute dog!  My cat, seen here attempting to eat a Schaller mini locking tuner, is also named Layla:

2852484474_c6053d4668.jpg

Oh, and nice neck :icon_thumright:

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure this formula is correct:

Awesome maple neck + happy dog = good day  :blob7:

I like the way that neck looks more than any birds eye or flame. I don't think I've ever seen a quarter sawn neck before. Looks like the way to go for all maple necks IMO

I order ¼ sawn and they gave me what I wanted.  This one is not for me.  You guys know me better than that, I gotta have figure on my necks.  Don’t worry guys I have not lost my mind; there will be some more extreme wood coming.  

I must agree with the lovers of the simple beauty of this neck.  It will look real good on the guitar it is going on.  It also has a nice ping to it so it should be pretty explosive tonally.

It should have the MOJO.  :glasses9:

I'm not gonna comment about you saying the pooch got you on your knees... But hey! Nice neck!

GoDrex said:
I like the way that neck looks more than any birds eye or flame. I don't think I've ever seen a quarter sawn neck before. Looks like the way to go for all maple necks IMO

I agree with you for some builds.  I think for my blue quilt strat, quartersawn is the way I am going to go.  I'll post a pic of the back for ya!  :toothy12:

Fernando, he is right.  I love figured maple as much as the next guy.  Sometimes too much wood in the neck, body, etc., is too busy.  IMHO.

Hey Tonar, I like the bamboo, I bet i can tell you what kind it is , that is, if you even know what kind it is to verify it.

I have over 50 diferent bamboos here at the house, I know as much about bamboo as anyone here does about guitars, goofy huh?

Back