I Have The Neck, Now I Need The Body

Below are the final contenders. I'm still not certain on Quilt vs Flame, but these are my final color choices. As a reminder, I'm putting in a set of TV Jones Classics. I'll most likely get the humbucker route and add black pickup rings. I'm liking Red, my wife is liking Aqua Marine Quilt, what say you? As always, thank you for your time and insight!

7l9wiXFl.jpg

MDPvKgwl.png

9veq0pvl.png

liDYysul.png

1s32sA0l.png

Really ... your wife is saying get a guitar body in aqua ... man that decision just became super easy.  The only thing I'd change would be use silver pickup rings, and not use the upper pickguard so you can you see all that gorgeous wood.

You can't go wrong with that neck on any of those bodies. If I were to choose one of those for my own, it would be aqua flame maple. Regardless of which you choose, it will be spectacular.

With just the lower guard:

Attachments

• AquaFlame.png
    AquaFlame.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 9
Wow, lower guard only looks great. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Last question before I place an order! Do I route for humbuckers or TV Jones? Humbuckers will require rings, but will provide future flexibility. TV Jones will look crisp with no rings needed, but once done there's no going back. Personally, I'm leaning towards humbucker route. What do you think?

Glad to help. It only took a couple minutes.

As to what to put in it, that depends on the sound you want. TV Jones have their own sound. There are humbucker sized 'trons available but they aren't quite the same. But with humbuckers, you can always change the rings for a different look if you want. What will make it more to your liking? I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Your gut is right unless totally committed to trons ,  humbuckers with silver covers.  Lots of options with hums

Here's what I've decided: Jazzmaster body, solid Basswood core, Aquamarine Quilt top (wife decided), Candy Blue back and sides, no 720 mod, TV Jones Classic neck and Classic Plus bridge Filtertrons, TOM bridge, and chrome hardware.

Last detail...pickguard or no pickguard...that is the question. If no pickguard should I opt for pearl binding to tie in the neck?

Soooooo close to placing the order!!!

f7V6vpR.png

6ht6JtW.png

Looks good either way. I kind of like the PG but that doesn't mean it's the best choice. The quilt will certainly be spectacular.

The neck does not have binding and to be honest the body with that binding looks gaudy and over the top. So rather than tying it in I think it would take away.

What would it look like with the flame maple top and no pickguard?

stratamania said:
The neck does not have binding and to be honest the body with that binding looks gaudy and over the top. So rather than tying it in I think it would take away.

Excellent point regarding the lack of neck binding. I think I may forego all binding. While I like the look of the natural accent that color is nowhere else on the guitar and may look out of place.

Regarding the flame maple...I will sadly never know. The wife has named this build the "Aquamaster" so quilt is happening no matter what :) .

Because to me either is ok, defer to the Mrs, her choices have been spot on so far,

Cactus Jack said:
stratamania said:

Excellent point regarding the lack of neck binding. I think I may forego all binding. While I like the look of the natural accent that color is nowhere else on the guitar and may look out of place.

Regarding the flame maple...I will sadly never know. The wife has named this build the "Aquamaster" so quilt is happening no matter what :) .

Keep the quilt and with natural binding it would work as it is far more subtle.

Order Placed! Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help steer me in the right direction, and allowing me to bounce ideas off you. Warmoth says custom orders take 8-10 weeks, so with a bit of luck, it may be under the tree come Christmas. Crossing my fingers!

Final Details:

Aquamarine Quilt Maple on Basswood body. Natural accent binding with Candy Blue back and sides. Humbucker route, Pearl PG, recessed Gotoh bridge with staggered string pattern. Basically, the body below minus the top PG.

Again, thank you for your time. It's greatly appreciated. Can't wait to start my build thread!

MDPvKgwl.png

Hey, congrats! Good choice! I look forward to seeing this come together. It should look great. This should hold you for a few weeks. Or make the wait worse. :icon_biggrin:

Attachments

• AquaQuilt.png
    AquaQuilt.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 8
Finally... Somebody takes up the burst/dye front and candy back option - the best of both worlds. You should do an unboxing video, just so we can enjoy the look on your face when you see it the first time.

PS You did remember to specify the Tele neck pocket, right?

I'll definitely do an unboxing video!

The candy option was practically a requirement due to the Basswood body. I didn't want to go transparent then be disappointed with ugly grain or streaking etc. Honestly, I wish they offered a black back with Aquamarine as the candy is an additional expense, but I think it will look awesome. I spent a lot of time looking at Suhrs and Anderson Basswood guitars, and I'd say they use an opaque finish on 90% of their Basswood bodies. Better safe than sorry!

Yep, got the Tele neck pocket!

I've made one change after the fact. I'm letting Warmoth install the ferrules. It's a $20 fee, but I don't have a drill press, will not hammer that top, and don't trust myself with a soldering iron. You have to know your limitations :)

Back