I got bored(s)

I like that binding, too. I'd ike to see some more up-close shots of it, if you take any,

Cagey said:
I like that binding, too. I'd ike to see some more up-close shots of it, if you take any,

Ok. I'm gradually scraping it down to match the 45 angle. It's fun. Will take some more shots as I can.... :headbang:

Not sure where I got the idea, but I had angled the front corners of the body and I thought "what would that look like with binding in it?"
So I took a rabbiting bit with a variety of bearing sizes with it, put one on that would cut a shelf about 1/4 deep and 3/16 wide and ran it around the top. Then I took three pieces of binding that's a 1/4 tall and a 1/16 thick roughly, and lined them up as white/black pearl/white and glued them in the normal way. Then it's been a process of hand sanding and scraping to get it down to match the angle. If I had a proper way to trim the binding down first it would have been nice, but the angle would make that a nightmare...

nVGV9p.jpg

N1sH2f.jpg

2pdcFd.jpg

FLg1la.jpg

. So now, thanks to my brilliant idea, I'm still scraping, and scraping, and scraping, and scraping, and..........Well you get the idea........... :binkybaby:

You'd probably still need to do a small bit of scraping, but i'm not sure why a 45° chamfer bit wouldn't have made short work of it.

In any case, it's still a very attractive and unique edging, so it'll be worth it in the end.

detail.jpg

I had the same idea, a new bit arrives tomorrow. I have found though that you have to be carefull with power tools and binding. Any heat build-up will result in disaster. So I will try very light cuts at first, over short areas. Thanks for the suggestion and the kind words though... :icon_thumright:

I'll echo the heat-build up concerns!  You do not want to be visited by the Melty Man!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bs1zz4zZhdM[/youtube]

Mayfly said:
I'll echo the heat-build up concerns!  You do not want to be visited by the Melty Man!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bs1zz4zZhdM[/youtube]

:laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11: :laughing11:

Could you put that new router bit in your drill press and slow it way down so it runs cooler? It could be used like an overhead router table.

Rgand said:
Could you put that new router bit in your drill press and slow it way down so it runs cooler? It could be used like an overhead router table.

That's an idea. Although my router has a speed control on it so I could try slowing it down. Don't want to go too slow though, then it starts jerking and can tend to gouge.
I'll have to check it out... :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:

That's an idea. Although my router has a speed control on it so I could try slowing it down. Don't want to go too slow though, then it starts jerking and can tend to gouge.
I'll have to check it out... :headbang:
Don't need any jerking. That would cause other issues. But if you could hold the body rather than the router, you would have more control over it. But, maybe the safest bet is to just scrape and sand. In the end, the result will be what you want.

Got the new bit in and slowed down the router a little. It worked! The binding is now fairly well flush to the angle and smooth and even. I are happy... :hello2:
Now to decide what pickups and route for them, then drill bridge mounting holes.... :headbang:

That's outstanding! Glad you got it cut right. There's a lot to be said for a good, sharp tool. :icon_thumright:

Will it rout ?  Yes, it routes!  LOL.  This gives me ideas, never considered that it wouldn't melt into a heap. Must try this on something.

When I bound the L5S in my sig, i used a flush trim bit in the router to even the outside edge, as the 5-layer buildup ended up thicker than the sum of each layer.

Worked well, no melting or any of that fun stuff. Only problem I had was not watching where I was going, and the pilot bearing fell into the output jack hole. I felt it immediately and got off it, but ABS plastic is no match for a carbide bit spinning at 33,000 rpm...

RouterBiteBinding.jpg

Cagey said:
When I bound the L5S in my sig, i used a flush trim bit in the router to even the outside edge, as the 5-layer buildup ended up thicker than the sum of each layer.

Worked well, no melting or any of that fun stuff. Only problem I had was not watching where I was going, and the pilot bearing fell into the output jack hole. I felt it immediately and got off it, but ABS plastic is no match for a carbide bit spinning at 33,000 rpm...

RouterBiteBinding.jpg

Ahh, memories........I've done the same thing myself.... :headbang:

Back