I got a crazy idea

jerryjg

for those of you that would prefer a different headstock look. Has anyone ever shaped and glued a different type of wood veneer to their headstock to match the body?
I love my body wood, and my fingerboard wood, but I don't  like the maple headstock ( it doesnt match with the mahogany body). Now, rather than take my chances with another neck, it occured to me I may be able to find a woodworker to cut and fit a matching  mahogany veneer to glue onto my headstock that is the same as my body wood- Mahogany . Don't try and steal   this idea. I patented it already, and also its documented here also for the first time. Don't use it either cause I'll sue you.

Thanks for the tip Jerry I'm headed off to pick up some exotic veneers for my headstock  :toothy10:
sue me... right..... wutever dude  :rock-on:

^ perfectly alright. Ive arranged for a licensing fee of 35 dollars for each usage of my idea. PM me and I'll let you know where to send it.
just don't use it in any commercial form fashion or manner or you will be served with a cease and desist  order from my patent  attorney. Also, do not display the headstock veneer in any way publicly without the proper licensing .

Those of you wishing to use my headstock veneer idea, please send 35.00 along with a SASE to receive your one time usage license. 3 licenses permitted per individual, after which you'll need a corporate commercial license. Please contact my patent attorney for details;

J. Livingston Farqhuart III
1 Madison Plaza
Suite 1900
Brooklyn, N.Y.

jerryjg said:
^ perfectly alright. Ive arranged for a licensing fee of 35 dollars for each usage of my idea. PM me and I'll let you know where to send it.
just don't use it in any commercial form fashion or manner or you will be served with a cease and desist  order from my patent  attorney. Also, do not display the headstock veneer in any way publicly without the proper licensing .

Those of you wishing to use my headstock veneer idea, please send 35.00 along with a SASE to receive your one time usage license. 3 licenses permitted per individual, after which you'll need a corporate commercial license. Please contact my patent attorney for details;

1 Madison Plaza
Suite 1900
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Hate to burst you and Dr. Farqhuart's bubble but Warmoth has been doing this for years.

dbw said:
jerryjg said:

1 Madison Plaza
Suite 1900
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Hate to burst you and Dr. Farqhuart's bubble but Warmoth has been doing this for years.

Well, I just called Dr. Farqhuart, and his number has been disconnected. I also called the New York State Bar Assoc., and there is no attrorney registered under that name.
I'm getting concerned bacause I paid him close to 20.000 to patent my idea.

The transplanting and skin grafting patent covers everything under the sun including taking thin veneer from the body and grafting it to the neck or head.  You may just get a letter from the International Plastic Surgeon Association demanding royalties for your innocent infringement.

Hire an artist to paint a tromp l'oeil veneer on the headstock.

That's much easier than mucking around with paper thin wood and glue...

To get serious for a moment, it's not that hard to do.
-Cut your veneer a little larger than the headstock.(a square piece is fine)
-Use as many clamps as you can fit around the headstock.(make sure you use a couple clamps down the center of the headstock face.
-Make a clamping cawl out of 3/4" press-board.
-Cover the headstock face thoroughly and evenly with Titebond glue.
-Apply the clamping cawl with a piece of wax paper on top of veneer.
-Leave clamped for a few days.
-Use a router with a roller guide-bit to cut the veneer to the exact shape of the headstock.

That's it.

-Dave

Back