I finished my first build

I AM a robot

Lot's of time home here in the pandemic, so I got my first Warmoth parts bass built.

Body:
Chambered Maple Dinky-J with standard J-bass pickups
Quilt maple top with black binding

Neck:
Birdseye maple neck with macassar ebony fretboart, 6105 SS frets.

The pickups are Lindy Fralins wired into a volume - blend - tone setup. I strung the bass with Rotosound 55s. The bridge is a Schaller 463 and the tuners are Schaller as well.

The good:
This bass looks great and plays wonderfully. Great tone and easy to play.
It was a lot of fun to build.

Nitpicks:
Somehow I only had 4 black screws on hand for the pickups, so I had to use chrome for the bridge pickup for now. After then pandemic I'll swap them for black.
The bass is kind of heavy at 10.6 pounds. I'd hoped the chambered body would have made it lighter than that.
The neck relief is bare minimum with the truss rod backed all the way off. I had to set the action I mite higher than I would have otherwise, but it isn't bad enough to make me want to shim the neck. I'm hoping that the neck develops just a hair more relief after sitting strung for a few weeks.

Attachments

• JGG00874.jpg
    JGG00874.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 78
That's outstanding! I really like the clear top with the black binding and hardware.

That's a beautiful thunderplank you've built there.  Gorgeous all the way around.  Thanks for sharing.

And I think it's pretty much unanimous.  I think you should submit for GOM.  That's a mighty tasty machine you built.

The maple body meat is fantastic, but an all maple body I would expect to be a tad heavier.  Even chambered.  Do me a favor, post a pic of the backside.  I bet it's worth the weight.

That's one stupendous looking bass you've built there! The "less is more" approach to design (colors, textures, etc.) almost always produces superior results, and you managed to keep it down to basically 2 colors. Wow!

Follow up here. I played the bass for a while until the action felt a little 'off' and then I reset everything. As had been suggested here, the neck had settled in under tension and I was able to engage the truss rod by a quarter turn while getting the relief exactly where I wanted it.
In turn, this let me set the action where I wanted it as well.

I expect now that the truss rod is under tension and not sitting loose in the neck, the bass will probably be pretty stable going forward.

Still really like playing it, a real pleasure.

Here's the backside of the bass.

I'd be interested in making a GOM submission, it seems you send to an email but the sticky didn't actually list the email address. Am I missing something there?

Attachments

• JGG00961.jpg
    JGG00961.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Back