I Dislike Ike!

Looks like he is seeking YOUR HOUSE  :sad1:
http://web.caller.com/weather/hurricanes/2008/1/5dayforecast.cfm

jackthehack said:
Which one of the board members posted before from the Houston area and was only 12 ft. above sea level? Based on 0400 CDT NHC update, that wouldn't be a good place to ride out Ike, unless you're equipped with gills...

Where I grew up in Texas City, the elevation was 5' above sea level.  When I was in HS, we were ripping drywall out of a renthouse for a renovation.  All of the nails from the waist down were rusted, but from the waist up were fine.  I asked why, the reply was, "That's the water line from Hurricane Carla in 1969."

At the Corning Museum of Glass you can still see the waterline at about 5' from when Agnes flooded the place.  And that's in NEW YORK.  :eek:

Hold on tight, RLW!

Thanks, the 10:00 PM report is slightly encouraging, so far it hasn't strengthened as rapidly as anticipated. Nonsense was spot on, the last track literally went through my back yard. One thing I really hope doesn't happen is a theory of mine that I call The Houston Effect, where storms hit the super-heated mass of concrete and get stalled out dead in their tracks, and then dump rain for day after day. I've been watching this happen for years, storms hitting Houston and just bouncing off of the artificial "heat dome" that a city that size can produce.

Were you in Dickinson in the flood of '79?  We drove a boat to my Grandparents' house and tied it to a tree in their front yard.  I remember seeing boats drive down 517.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Were you in Dickinson in the flood of '79?  We drove a boat to my Grandparents' house and tied it to a tree in their front yard.  I remember seeing boats drive down 517.

I lived in Galveston then, we had gone to Houston early that day to see the Disastros play. We had to stay in a hotel overnight because most of 45 was underwater.

"In 1945, at the end of WW2, Japan and Germany had been reduced to rubble. Since then, they have been rebuilt into two of the most technologically advanced countries on the planet. In that same amount of time, we have been unable to finish the Gulf Freeway." Jimmy Pineapple, Houston comedian.

Anyone who has lived in Houston will LOL at that one.

From 2200 report, you're still looking at 20 ft. (6.096 meters for our global friends) storm surge; scarier thing as it still plots Ike as still being at hurricane strength NORTH of Houston.

(Just to brake the stress)

RIch, as your Koa bass can get damaged when Ike hit there, send it to me, I'll take care of it  :laughing7:  :cool01:

Just to understand, you're in Houston or in the border of the lake?

because the new track is IN the West border of the lake:
(The pink line is the track)

Later, guys. Moving to higher ground. Grabbing the dog and a few guitars, and that's it.

RLW here, we're bunkered in behind a 43 year old levee, while watching parts of Galveston burn to the ground. My house, being right on a bayou, was rapidly becoming a deathtrap. As cocky as I tried to sound the other night, conditions went downhill rapidly last night. The thing that sealed the deal was looking at my dog's nose being one foot above the ground, and knowing that if the shit hit the fan, she would be a goner.

lspaulsp said:
RLW here, we're bunkered in behind a 43 year old levee, while watching parts of Galveston burn to the ground. My house, being right on a bayou, was rapidly becoming a deathtrap. As cocky as I tried to sound the other night, conditions went downhill rapidly last night. The thing that sealed the deal was looking at my dog's nose being one foot above the ground, and knowing that if the shite hit the fan, she would be a goner.

What's on fire? I'm staying up watch the hurricane coverage tonight, only shot of fires I've seen on CNN was some storage facility that looked like it was closer down to the facilities between Clute and Surfside?

lspaulsp said:
RLW here, we're bunkered in behind a 43 year old levee, while watching parts of Galveston burn to the ground. My house, being right on a bayou, was rapidly becoming a deathtrap. As cocky as I tried to sound the other night, conditions went downhill rapidly last night. The thing that sealed the deal was looking at my dog's nose being one foot above the ground, and knowing that if the shite hit the fan, she would be a goner.

I'm glad you got out.  Looking at the news reports and your announced exit, it seemed like you'd be barely able to get out.  Good to see you have computer access.  Keep us posted as to events on the ground, and your well-being.

lspaulsp said:

Stay safe, best of luck to you.

I have the weather channel going in the background.  Best of luck to you man.  Be safe, we're all pulling for you!

lspaulsp said:
Glad to hear you moved to where you could keep your feet dry, that 'zero chance of survival' message sounded sorta scary. In retrospect, the advice to grab and hold on to something really heavy that we gave at the start of the thread seems almost sadistic since the number 1 risk turned out to be drowning, not being blown away, but now you're on higher ground it would make sense once again. Stay safe and keep us updated, our thoughts are with you.

Back