I cannot access Unofficial Warmoth Forum from home. It says that I am banned

pingfloid

When I try to access Unofficial Warmoth from home I get a message saying:

Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
bestkunmaza
This ban is not set to expire
  :sad:

At the beginning it happened only with Firefox. I was able to access using Chrome or Edge. But now I cannot access from any browser, neither from the PC, the smartphone or the tablet (I've tried both WiFi and Mobile Data connection). Not even using a VPN with an IP based in the US or UK (I am located in Bangkok).

I have been in contact with the forum administrators, but they say that they do not see any reason why I should be banned, and they do not know how to proceed.

Now I am accessing from my workplace, but tomorrow I will start working from home amid the COVID-19 precautions. So, this may be the last time I can access this forum for a while  :sad1:

If someone has a suggestion on how to solve this issue, I can still be reached at Facebook Unofficial Warmoth. I have opened a thread there:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216361564052314&set=gm.10156608811732132&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I hope I'll be able to get back here before I receive the parts for my first Warmoth build.

Stay safe!

You might look into getting a home VPN.  Useful in any event for keeping some of your traffic more secure.

A VPN will not help with this once this happens.

I know exactly what it is. For whatever reason perhaps connectivity temporarily flapping a cookie will be set and stored on any device from your home network which gets converted to the same public IP address by your internet router. What has happened is a cookie gets set related in your machine related to your IP address.

Even if you connect as a guest you will see that you have been "banned", which is unusual.

If you then used a VPN or connected from elsewhere as the cookie is already set it will still show the same thing.

What you need to do is go to the advanced settings for cookies in your browser do a search for unofficialwarmoth.com and delete the cookies that are causing you to show up as banned.

I am not on Facebook so if someone can pass the information on to pingfloid it would be useful.

stratamania said:
I am not on Facebook so if someone can pass the information on to pingfloid it would be useful.
Tried to find "pingfloid", but no exact matches, anything else to go bye? Also, I seem to remember having a similar problem years ago. As I recall, it turned out to be erroneous entries in a IP redirect table stored by Windows. I actually had to delete the table and reload a generic version in order to correct the problem.

I posted the suggested cookie solution in the UW group on Facebook.  Hopefully Manuel joins us.

BigSteve22 said:
stratamania said:
Tried to find "pingfloid", but no exact matches, anything else to go bye? Also, I seem to remember having a similar problem years ago. As I recall, it turned out to be erroneous entries in a IP redirect table stored by Windows. I actually had to delete the table and reload a generic version in order to correct the problem.

No idea other than he may see the thread from his office on a different machine or something.

I had the same problem with the cookies which is how I know about it. I have not seen something related to ip redirect tables with regard to this so I cannot comment on that.

Thanks Bagman67 for posting it.

Bagman67 said:
I posted the suggested cookie solution in the UW group on Facebook.  Hopefully Manuel joins us.
  Ah, the UW group, now I understand...... :icon_thumright:

stratamania said:
I had the same problem with the cookies which is how I know about it. I have not seen something related to ip redirect tables with regard to this so I cannot comment on that....
I understand, just throwing it out there. Thinking about it, the problem I had back then was my browser was being redirected to "null" every time I tried to access certain sites, probably the result of malicious code execution by a competing web site.

BigSteve22 said:
stratamania said:
I had the same problem with the cookies which is how I know about it. I have not seen something related to ip redirect tables with regard to this so I cannot comment on that....
I understand, just throwing it out there. Thinking about it, the problem I had back then was my browser was being redirected to "null" every time I tried to access certain sites, probably the result of malicious code execution by a competing web site.

No worries. Sounds like it may have been a browser hijack of some type.

Thank you very much or all your suggestions.

I've tried deleting everything: cookies, cache, history, etc, but it still doesn't work. I've tried with 3 browsers: Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

What puzzles me is that that at the beginning this only happened with Firefox, while I could access with Edge. And I cannot blame my PC because this is also happening with the smartphone and the tablet.

I have googled related issues with Simple Machines forums and I've found similar complains.

According to this one, some Internet providers, like AT&T, cannot access Simple Machines Forums without a proxy. My Internet provider is TOT Thailand
https://www.000webhost.com/forum/t/certain-users-are-unable-to-access-my-site/32439/3

This administrator complains that his Simple Machines Forum is randomly banning people. It seemed to be an issue on how he configured it:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559000.0

In addition to getting rid of the cookie. Try rebooting your router and it may get a new IP address on the public side which may help.

stratamania said:

What you need to do is go to the advanced settings for cookies in your browser do a search for unofficialwarmoth.com and delete the cookies that are causing you to show up as banned.

Thank you very much!! That, plus a VPN did the trick. Both things are necessary. If I disable the VPN I cannot access. After I enable the VPN, I have to delete the cookies again

I didn't have the need to access the forum since I canceled my Warmoth order on March 2020, when delays caused to covid were announced, but I am back now  :)

pingfloid said:
stratamania said:

Thank you very much!! That, plus a VPN did the trick. Both things are necessary. If I disable the VPN I cannot access. After I enable the VPN, I have to delete the cookies again

I didn't have the need to access the forum since I canceled my Warmoth order on March 2020, when delays caused to covid were announced, but I am back now  :)

Great to hear that you got that sorted - welcome back!

My free evaluation of CyberGhost VPN will expire in 13 hours. I do not want to pay for a VPN service only to access this forum.

It would be nice if some forum administrator could have a look into it. The problem must be a range of IP addresses from Thailand that are banned.

pingfloid said:
My free evaluation of CyberGhost VPN will expire in 13 hours. I do not want to pay for a VPN service only to access this forum.

It would be nice if some forum administrator could have a look into it. The problem must be a range of IP addresses from Thailand that are banned.

Perhaps contact your provider in Thailand.

Could it be that your internet access passes through countries that throttle internet access? 

Back