Hybrid Strat aka The Strelecaster

kyldh

Hey everyone. Just showing off my Warmoth body. The finish on this thing looks amazing. The neck is Fender. I really only went with a Fender neck because I love the look of the channel-bound fretboard and wanted to have that on one of my guitars. I also wanted to try compound-radius so this killed 2 birds with 1 stone. This is honestly one of the coolest guitars I've ever put together, and one of my all-time favorites. I'd say she's a keeper. The Warmoth body is absolutely gorgeous to my eye. I've already gotten a few reactions like "Wait... is that a Strat or a Tele?!" :laughing7:

I get questioned on the covered/uncovered humbuckers a lot too. The reason I did that was because I thought it'd help look more like the normal telecaster pickup scheme. Plus, having a chrome bridge with a chrome covered humbucker in it was just too much chrome for me, personally.

I set this guitar up with 9 strings originally, and really thought the strings felt a bit tighter than I'd prefer. For the first time in my life, I set this up with 8s and it plays fantastically. To be honest, the 8s are verging on a little too thin, so if I find a company that makes 8.5, I'll have to try those out. For now, the 8s will do just fine. I just have to remember not to accidentally over-bend. haha

The specs:

Body:
  • Hybrid Strat Shape
  • Swamp Ash
  • Transparent Sunset Orange Gloss Finish
  • Contoured Heel

Neck:
  • Fender American
  • Channel-bound Rosewood Fretboard
  • 9.5"–14" Compound-radius
  • 21 medium-jumbo frets
  • Vintage ivory inlays
  • Hand-rubbed polyurethane finish
  • Synthetic bone nut

Hardware:
  • Gotoh Humbucker Tele Bridge
  • Fender Locking Tuning Machines

Pickups:
  • Neck: DiMarzio PAF Master
  • Bridge: DiMarzio PAF Master
  • Both pickups are tapped with push-pull pots.

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 1,028
  • IMG_2488.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 328
Sorry for the upside-down images! This is my first time posting and I didn't realize the forum flipped them like that.

Great looking guitar. Love the neck.
Don’t worry about the images. Once you click on them they display as they should.

kyldh said:
Sorry for the upside-down images! This is my first time posting and I didn't realize the forum flipped them like that.

Our Australian brothers will appreciate!  Love that color!

Beautiful guitar.  Wonderful choices to hybridize a lot of different ideas into a unique axe.  And to be honest, if I could lay my hands on one of those pseudo-bound necks Fender put out for a couple years, I'd grab it.  I think it's a classy look.

Bagman67 said:
Beautiful guitar.  Wonderful choices to hybridize a lot of different ideas into a unique axe.  And to be honest, if I could lay my hands on one of those pseudo-bound necks Fender put out for a couple years, I'd grab it.  I think it's a classy look.

Thanks a lot! And you can grab those necks brand new from places like Sweetwater when used aren't available. Unfortunately they do cost around $600-650 though I believe.

That's beautiful. In my eyes, that's a lot of the best of both Tele and Strat. Great color and neck combo. Very well done.

Awesome execution on this. My next Warmoth build I've been thinking about would be very similar to this, thanks for materializing my thoughts!

Great looking guitar! Best of luck with it.
kyldh said:
I set this guitar up with 9 strings originally, and really thought the strings felt a bit tighter than I'd prefer. For the first time in my life, I set this up with 8s and it plays fantastically. To be honest, the 8s are verging on a little too thin, so if I find a company that makes 8.5, I'll have to try those out. For now, the 8s will do just fine. I just have to remember not to accidentally over-bend. haha
I totally agree with your assessment. I tried 9s on my 25.5" Jazzmaster but they felt a little too stiff. Then I went with 8s, and they felt too loose. The 8.5s feel just stiff enough, without being too stiff.

I tried, and like, two different sets. First I tried ghs GB8-1/2,  (.0085, .0105, .014, .022, .032, .040). They are great strings, but I keep looking for more. Then I tried D'ddario EXL130+, (.0085, .0105, .015, .022, .032, .039). Also great strings. Still haven't made an actual hard decision yet, but I'm presently using, and leaning towards, the D'ddario's. I tried them using the provided .015", unwound G, but it sounds a little too jangly for my taste, so I swapped it for a wound .018" with better results. (But then again, I never did like plain G strings.) Anyway, I have several sets of each on hand, so I'll keep going back and forth until something clicks. Good luck with your quest.

BigSteve22 said:
I totally agree with your assessment. I tried 9s on my 25.5" Jazzmaster but they felt a little too stiff. Then I went with 8s, and they felt too loose. The 8.5s feel just stiff enough, without being too stiff.
Thanks! I fell in love with D'Addario NYXL strings for all of the rest of my guitars. I just need them to start making 8.5. In the meantime, maybe I'll try out these other 8.5 sets you mentioned.

Back