Humbucker sized P90s

Stonker

Which are the best for clean and crunchy blues or maybe fusion type sounds?  (I don't play much indie/rock/metal)

Kinman make a P90 Humbucker size noiseless pickup. Here's a video.

[youtube]YtJTFPPkfGI[/youtube]

At the other end of the price range, GFS/Guitar Fetish Dream 90 and Mean 90 pups are both quite good.  The Mean 90, as the name suggests, is a higher-output part.  Both are quite decent, albeit not noiseless.  At 30 bucks, they're a damn sight easier on the pocketbook than the $139 Kinman part.  But if cost were no object for me, I'd probably go with the Kinman, myself, for the noiselessness.

While I am more into the indie/alternative rock stuff, I just got a phat cat installed in the neck position and am in love. That being said I have never played a p90 equipped guitar before. Some report it being too dark in their guitars but it sounds perfect in my relatively bright guitar.

Rats, I was going to recommend the Rio Grande BluesBars in a Humbucker form factor, but they have apparently been discontinued...

From what I have been able to observe I am almost ready to say Kinman probably excels at P90s and they are quiet. But The Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen seems nice to but it won't be "noiseless"

I've also been looking for some humbucker sized p-90s, preferably noiseless. Two more options are the Fralin P-92 and Tom Anderson's PH series pickups they put in the Raven guitars

Camer138 said:
While I am more into the indie/alternative rock stuff, I just got a phat cat installed in the neck position and am in love. That being said I have never played a p90 equipped guitar before. Some report it being too dark in their guitars but it sounds perfect in my relatively bright guitar.

I've got a pair of Phat Cats in my LPS. I absolutely love it in the bridge (bright and brash), but in the neck position it's a tad too dark for my tastes.

Creamery Pickups make very well-regarded P90 style pickups in humbucker sizes as well as single-coil and standard P90 sizes as well as an extremely good copy of the Fender Wide Range humbucker, again in standard WRHB and humbucker sizes.

And don't forget Bare Knuckle Pickups range of P90s.

Likely going to drop a set of those in my Michael Kelly Vex one of these days. I hope those triple shot rings are sturdier than they look.

ChristopherG- I feel the same way about those rings. I know SD makes great pick ups, and I'm planning on using P-Rails for a JM build to commence some time after the holidays, but those rings look kind of "iffy" to me too. I've found that mini slide switches tend to not last very long. But I have no real life experience with the SD rings, so take it for what's it's worth. They might be hardy little buggers.

BigSteve22 said:
They might be hardy little buggers.

From what I've seen, they're not really designed for switch duty. More like a setup switch that you set and forget. Use it much, and it's likely to fail early.

Well my favorite music shop got in a Michael Kelly Patriot Supreme factory second, so I got to put my fingers on some triple shots. I have to say that they look better made than the photos on the SD website would lead you to believe. Still plastic, which is icky, but whaddayagonnado? The switches are nice and tight, but it is mileage that tells on that sort of part. Reflecting what Cagey said, they seem like they would have a decent long run used as "set at the beginning of each song where you want a different sound" but for active in tune switching you probably want to wire up some mini toggles.

Bill Lawrence (Wilde) had some great Humbucker sized noisless P-90 choices, in the custom line, that was recently discontinued

I'll be putting a Bare knuckle Nantucket in my next build.  I tried one in a friends LP and it was awesome. So I thought I'd try one in my Tele.
:rock-on:

I saw that GFS now (or have for some time?) makes a P90 (though not humbucker sized) that are noiseless. They don't look like "normal" P90's but borrow the gold foil look from other pickups.
Extremely low priced and noiseless and P90! Sounds too good to be true, right?

gf101_thumbnail.jpg

I love the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat BUT I only use the neck version, not a fan of P90s in the bridge. I currently have it paired with a Pearly Gates in the bridge.

Back