Humbucker Or Trembucker

bass917

Wanting to build a hardtail strat with a Fender American Standard Flat Mount bridge and 1 11/16" nut. which will line up for better string spacing, trembucker or humbucker? I know both will work, id just prefer it to visually line up correctly.
Also do you guys know if the fat humbucker/trembucker pickguard option is the best for uncover pickups? as i prefer the rounded corners of the cutout.
Thanks in advance.

The string spacing of the bridge you mention is 2.08" which is the same as a Fender American Standard tremolo. The nut width is not really relevant for determining what you are asking about.

The next thing you need to do is look at which pickups you are considering and study the dimensions available. Once you know that you will be better placed to determine or ask about the pickguard option for the specific pickup.

Hey ,thanks for the reply. Was looking at the SD JB, and will bridge pickup only body. I assumed all brand humbucker and trembuckers had the same spacing (obviously these are 2 different spacings), is that correct?
I had a look at the SD website and they only give one spacing measurement and not overall (so x5 but its in inches and my brain explodes).

If you scroll down at this page, for example, you can see dimensions for different pickguard options.

Assuming SD JB is a Seymour Duncan JB this may also be of help

Also the bobbin of a trembucker is slightly wider. I would go for the trembucker version and the trembucker pickguard option. If you also email Warmoth sales they should also be able to confirm.

Edit: 12 Oct 23 updated links. (This is the newer website referenced by @aarontunes in post #7 below)

Last edited:
Trembucker assuages my OCD, but a humbucker in the bridge will work as well.  As to the trembucker cut out, I've found no problem with the Warmoth cosmetics, though on tele deluxe I had to sand the trembucker opening to fit.  It was no biggie.

bass917 said:
Hey ,thanks for the reply. Was looking at the SD JB, and will bridge pickup only body. I assumed all brand humbucker and trembuckers had the same spacing (obviously these are 2 different spacings), is that correct?
I had a look at the SD website and they only give one spacing measurement and not overall (so x5 but its in inches and my brain explodes).

Some important things:

1. The bridge string spacing is the important dimension when choosing the appropriately-spaced humbucker. For a Fender-spaced bridge you want a Seymour Duncan Trembucker.

2. Seymour Duncan is the only pickup manufacturer I know of that actually uses different size bobbins for their wide-pole-spaced pickups (aka Trembuckers). This means a Seymour Duncan Trembucker is physically larger than their standard-spaced version, or the standard size of all of a humbucker pickups. It's very confusing, and very frustrating that first time you learn that your Seymour Duncan Trembucker doesn't quite fit in a standard humbucker mounting ring or pickguard cutout.

3. The terms "Humbucker" and "Fat Humbucker" on the Warmoth website pickguard builder are also very confusing.

Think of them this way:
  • The "Humbucker" and "Trembucker" cutouts have squared corners, to fit pickups with a cover.
  • "Fat Humbucker" and "Fat Trembucker" cutouts have round corners to fit pickups without a cover.
Thus:
  • Humbucker = the correct choice for standard sized humbuckers with a cover - all brands, regardless of pole spacing...except Trembuckers
  • Fat Humbucker = the correct choice for standard size humbuckers without a cover - all brands, regardless of pole spacing...except Trembuckers
  • Trembucker = for covered Seymour Duncan Trembuckers ONLY
  • Fat Trembucker = for uncovered Seymour Duncan Trembuckers ONLY
Also worth noting that on the upcoming new Warmoth website we address this confusion, and it will hopefully be more clear.

The Aaron said:
Also worth noting that on the upcoming new Warmoth website we address this confusion, and it will hopefully be more clear.

Excellent. The more information is available it is all for the better.

Wow ... sometimes my OCD makes a rational decision.  Thanks The Aaron!

Digging this thread up from the dead as it gives good info...

So, if I build a Strat I have the option to choose a Trembucker (covered or uncovered) for the body and pickguard.  I do NOT have that option for a Jazzmaster even though the same trems are available as options. 

Can I add a note in the order to give me Trembucker cutouts in the Jazzmaster body and pickguard or are those not an option regardless?  I'd like to purchase everything while I'm waiting for the Warmoth order to arrive and don't want to be surprised...

Tnx!

Best to call wamoth.  They will answer your questions with current info.

McHale said:
So, if I build a Strat I have the option to choose a Trembucker (covered or uncovered) for the body and pickguard.  I do NOT have that option for a Jazzmaster even though the same trems are available as options. 

There has never been an option for body routs for Trembucker pickups in Strats either only in pickguards. They fit into a Humbucker rout.

For Jazzmaster pickguards the option for trembucker is indeed not there - I do not recall if it was an option on the older website. It may have been missed on the new website as an option. But a call or email to Warmoth sales will let you know for sure.

Personally I avoid buying a Seymour Duncan Trembucker.  For modern Fender guitars with modern spacing of 52.5mm, the standard size humbuckers are fine.  If you buy Dimarzio F spaced Pickup its actually better aligned with the strings - that's actually the ideal choice, whereas the other options are both compromises IMO.

Standard humbucker = 49.3mm
Dimarzio F spaced = 51.1mm
Trembucker = 52.6mm

The Trembucker is only *really* needed for guitars with actual Fender vintage bridges, some Gotoh or Wilkinson, and Floyd rose bridges.  Ie. ones that that have 54mm spacing. 

For the 52.5mm spaced bridges, I would buy a regular humbucker and save the inconvenience of having a pickup that doesn't fit standard pickguards and mounting rings.

I'll be using a Schaller Roller Bridge which is 53mm.  The Trembucker should be a perfect fit.  I'm going to pull out a few guitars tonight and do some measuring to confirm.  But I've found most modern bridges work great with Trembuckers giving improved string alignment.

They said they can cut the pickguard to fit but it's an "off menu" option... which seems to be a bug to me since they offer the same bridge options on the JM as they do a strat but don't account for the pickups that go along with. 

Well, at least I got my answer.  Thanks!

JohnnyHardtail said:
Personally I avoid buying a Seymour Duncan Trembucker.  For modern Fender guitars with modern spacing of 52.5mm, the standard size humbuckers are fine.  If you buy Dimarzio F spaced Pickup its actually better aligned with the strings - that's actually the ideal choice, whereas the other options are both compromises IMO.

Standard humbucker = 49.3mm
Dimarzio F spaced = 51.1mm
Trembucker = 52.6mm

The Trembucker is only *really* needed for guitars with actual Fender vintage bridges, some Gotoh or Wilkinson, and Floyd rose bridges.  Ie. ones that that have 54mm spacing. 

For the 52.5mm spaced bridges, I would buy a regular humbucker and save the inconvenience of having a pickup that doesn't fit standard pickguards and mounting rings.

yo, with a last name like Hardtail i reserve the rite to call you into question. as a man who has divebombed a million Floydz, i can say i have never used a f-space humbucker or a trembucker with one.

check it. they spec either 10.67 mm or 10.7 mm for string spacing (depending on your source, cause i seen variances dependin' on who you get your info from).

that equalz 53.35 mm (or 53.5 mm) total/overall. which converts to between 2.10" and 2.11" (the emperor's inches).

thats the same or less than on just 'bout any Tele, my dawg!

you tellin' me i gotta use a trembucker with a Tele?

nah, bro. #doubt-it

i'm a night owl and also an early bird. so i'm wise AND i have worms. you can't trick me. i put milk in my powdered milk so i can get more milk per milk. #life-hack

BroccoliRob said:
yo, with a last name like Hardtail i reserve the rite to call you into question. as a man who has divebombed a million Floydz, i can say i have never used a f-space humbucker or a trembucker with one.

check it. they spec either 10.67 mm or 10.7 mm for string spacing (depending on your source, cause i seen variances dependin' on who you get your info from).

that equalz 53.35 mm (or 53.5 mm) total/overall. which converts to between 2.10" and 2.11" (the emperor's inches).

thats the same or less than on just 'bout any Tele, my dawg!

you tellin' me i gotta use a trembucker with a Tele?

nah, bro. #doubt-it

i'm a night owl and also an early bird. so i'm wise AND i have worms. you can't trick me. i put milk in my powdered milk so i can get more milk per milk. #life-hack

No rules.  Having the poles line up with the strings is entirely optional! 

Sorry if I misunderstood, but it seems your post was your way of saying you don't care about it.

For me , trembuckers use one if the bridge is 2 1/8 or wider.  Why? I like the way it looks.

Back