HS strat match low output humbucker

S

swarfrat

Asking again once I realized just how low output my favorite pickup is.

I have a single GFS Memphis on the bridge (5.5k HB). I'm looking to add a strat neck pickup, but I want hum cancelling.  I see a few options around 5-6k, which I'm already concerned about exceeding the bridge output.  The Memphis is low output, and I presume low pull, as many folks mention it can be real close to the strings.

In addition to the more usual suspects I'm wondering if a hot rail humbucker in parallel might be a better match.  The lil killer (also GFS) is available in 6k, 10k and 15k. The 10 and 15 in parallel would be around 2.5k (probably too weak) and 3.5k.  And of course backing the neck off is probably a good thing.

Anyone try to match a single to a low output HB? I know that DCR is worthless by itself, still it's the best approximation of turns we are given or can easily measure.

6K Lil Killer in the neck (from what I can make out of the autotranslated closed captioning)
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ag32AKgAjT8?t=241[/youtube]

Well, as bright as the Memphis is on the bridge, I decided to try the Lil Kicker 6k on the neck. I have no middle position, and want a fuller neck with some bite/sparkle, not necessarily a "strat". I liked the tones that guy was getting with it in the linked video.

Thinking about pulling my pro steels off And going back to nickel wound because of fret life. This neck has been levelled twice already and it's not one I want to ever replace, as it's a very very early Zion. Not many were made with this logo. Maybe not even hundreds.

If you want a noiseless single coil that sounds like a traditional Strat single coil, the
Dimarzio Area 67 is the way to go. If you want something a little hotter that still has a decent amount of high-end, the Dimarzio Injector is the ticket.

Just FTR the 6k Lil Killer is a lot hotter in the neck than the Memphis in the bridge. I don't know how high i can get it until I get strung up (waiting on new pots) but the LK is flush with the pickguard and the Memphis is about 3/16 above and they're close to even, the Memphis might be a little weaker still.

Overall I think it'll work. Sort of in the vein of the neck HB Tele.

In the neck position a dp240 matches an area 58 perfectly.  I can also suggest tele pup for the bridge position.

It's not routed for a tele bridge. It's a hardtail strat.

I had good luck with the dp240 mini hum in the neck, area 58 in the mid, and area t in the bridge.  I found the output values on the dimarzio website to give a goog indication of matchingneess amount three different types of pups.

Back