How would you mix Colortone liquid pigments to get British Racing Green?

I don't know if I'd call it "better". Different, maybe. But, while I've only heard good things about Reranch, I've never had very good luck with rattle can paint. Although, to be fair, back when I used aerosols I was just a kid and I didn't know much about finishing, so a lot of my failures were certainly my fault.

Again, don't know if this will really be what you're looking for but here are the formulas for these 3 colors made in an ultradeep semi-gloss house paint.

8804504714_5cec837fe0_c.jpg

8793917481_47de98bc33_c.jpg

Our formulas are broken down into ounces, 32nds, 64ths, and 128ths of ounces.

Yeah, we have 3 bases. Extra White (light colors, obviously), Deep Base (medium, maybe bright colors with lots of colorants like yellow or blue), and Ultradeep Base (dark colors, lots of colorant).

It's basically a white base with more extenders in it. A gallon of the stuff comes with a bit of the gallon missing so that colorants can be added without it all spilling over.

Ok. So, I'll want to change my clear lacquer into white first, then add the tinting proportions to that.

It's not British Racing Green. It's Cagey Green now.

IMG_2799_Sm.JPG

IMG_2802_Sm.JPG

Still needs to be finish sanded & bufffed out. Been about 10 days now, so later this week. Neck's supposed to be here Friday and it'll need fretting and so forth. Hopefully, I'll be playing it sometime next week.

smiley-excited002.gif

Loving your work Cagey    :icon_thumright: ... the binding you've done with that green is perfecto !!
Great touch with the clear sides and rear. Sets it off nicely indeed.

Is this the one having a Bigsby ? ..... I'm a guessing hoping in Chrome 
smiley-excited001.gif

Is it chambered / hollow ?

Now ..... I'm expecting a WOWZA neck to complete this beauty.  :icon_biggrin:

sixstringsamurai said:
Pretty Darn close though, it is definitely super close to Jag/Mg green 

Well, if finally dawned on me that I wasn't trying to color match for a repair on an existing finish, so all that work trying to nail a particular shade was unnecessary. Just mix until happy, and shoot it. It's close enough for rock 'n' roll, and I'm happy.

Updown said:
Loving your work Cagey    :icon_thumright: ... the binding you've done with that green is perfecto !!
Great touch with the clear sides and rear. Sets it off nicely indeed.

Is this the one having a Bigsby ? ..... I'm a guessing hoping in Chrome 
smiley-excited001.gif

Is it chambered / hollow ?

Now ..... I'm expecting a WOWZA neck to complete this beauty.  :icon_biggrin:

Thanks!

This is the one getting the Bigsby, but it's going to be in gold. There'll also be a Wikinson roller bridge, and I've got a couple Bill Lawrence L600s to put in it. They ought to be interesting. The body isn't hollow or chambered, it's solid Mahogany. Very nice piece that I could have left natural, but I had to plug a lot of holes in the top so it had to have an opaque finish.

The neck is a unique choice Canary over Canary part with the Warmoth 2 headstock and cream binding to match the body, no inlays. I got some FWG110 gold fretwire from LMII to put on it (same wire Warmoth calls 6100G), to match the rest of the hardware. They've got a new fret tang removal tool I'm going to try that precludes the need for fret nippers, which wear after one job on stainless or gold wire. Should look pretty nice.

AutoBat said:
That's lookin' mighty fine, Cagey!

Thanks! You're probably not going to like the gold on it, but against the green and cream it looks really rich. Couldn't pass it up.

I'm cool with the Gold on this  :icon_thumright:

With that neck Canary / Canary and gold frets, will look REAL classy indeed.

Wonder if that british racing green will make it play any faster  .....  :laughing7: 

Updown said:
Wonder if that british racing green will make it play any faster  .....  :laughing7:

Dunno about that. But, the burnishing the fretboard is going to get along with the gold frets ought to make it possible to go lightning fast. At least, if there's a fast player around. I'm afraid my thrashing days are behind me, at least without some serious work I'm unlikely to do anytime soon. Maybe next winter.

Cagey said:
It's not British Racing Green. It's Cagey Green now.

IMG_2799_Sm.JPG

IMG_2802_Sm.JPG

-Ah! Found it! Very cool! Now that I see it, (-hate to say it, but) the gold hardware is gonna be a must.  :headbang1:

Yeah, the gold is gonna make it.

I'm agonizing on a pickguard now. There's nothing standard that'll work, so I have to design something. Then, I'll probably have to have it made because I don't feel like going to all the trouble it'll take make it, since it'll be a one-off.

Start another thread about building the bound tortoise shell pickguard! -With binding matching the body!  :icon_jokercolor:

I bought some pickguard material, just in case I get ambitious. It's a cream/black/cream sandwich to match the body binding. But, I think I might get Terrapin to do the work. I've made pickguards before, and it's a time-consuming and messy business. Better to let someone who's set up for it and has better tools, etc. to do the work.

Back