how to ground other than on pots?

WindsurfMaui

If this was already discussed in another link will someone please give me the link. Thanks.

So is there a better/smarter way to ground all the pick ups and other ground wires than on the back of a pot? I may want to change pots as I experiment with wiring and don't want to have to take all the ground wires off the pot every time I want to change something. I assume putting all the grounds on the volume pot helps because the Volume pot won't be changed that often, but is there a better way? Thanks

Those solder lug washers are what I use on my builds. They are much better than heating up the back of the pot to solder on it.

Rgand said:
Those solder lug washers are what I use on my builds. They are much better than heating up the back of the pot to solder on it.

I like the idea a lot. In fact, right after I posted that, I went back to the sight and ordered 3 sets. I've seen them elsewhere but always more expensive.

Yes it looks like a great idea. I am checking out other stuff they may have to include in my order.

They do help you make a nice, clean wiring job.

RQscmRL.jpg

What else is out there to make pick up assembly easier? I have seen pictures of a 5 way switch assembly that you connect pickups to by screw rather than solder. Are these worth while? Are they flexible to do different wiring systems? I may want to do a master tone and a blending pot and/or add a push/pull for additional tone options like series and parallel options. Can these be done with a plug in 5 way switch? Thanks

Rgand said:

RQscmRL.jpg

One thing I’ve realised is that if you have shield like the tape in this image then all the components are already connected. So if you have the ground from the pickups wired to one point here, you don’t need to run a grounding wire between the pots and to the output jack. They’re already connected via the shielding tape.
The only thing that needs connecting to ground is the right lug on the volume pot.

Logrinn said:
Rgand said:

RQscmRL.jpg

One thing I’ve realised is that if you have shield like the tape in this image then all the components are already connected. So if you have the ground from the pickups wired to one point here, you don’t need to run a grounding wire between the pots and to the output jack. They’re already connected via the shielding tape.
The only thing that needs connecting to ground is the right lug on the volume pot.
This is true but I didn't think about it. Besides it satisfies any OCD that may be lurking.  :laughing11:

I bought the solder washers but  haven't installed them yet. Assuming I am not going to fully shield the body cavity will doing the following cause me any problems?

Since my plan is to have only one or two electric guitars but many different pickup set ups I am building multiple pick guards  all wired up and ready to be swapped in and out of my guitar as a single unit. The easiest way to do this is to have all grounds that connect to the guitar body or output jack soldered to one washer ( on the second Tone knob). So when I want to swap a pick guard all I have to do is unscrew the last tone knob so I can remove the last solder washer and lift the rest of the pick guard out of the guitar and when placing the new pick guard into the guitar just put the already grounded washer on the last tone knob and I'm all set to go. As long as I ground each of the 3 pots to each other does this work as the easiest way to swap pick guards?

My original idea was to put plugs on my pick ups so I could unplug them and swap them. Then it occurred to me that the price of a pick guard and pots is very cheap and it is easier to just make up multiple pick guards for the different pickups I own and swap them out as a unit.  Assuming I could easily attach the pick guards to ground. This idea seems to work as long as I use these solder washers. Thanks

Back