How to finish an Alder body?

So I have my Alder body and I would like to put a Satin Finish on it.
Are there any preparations or special things I should be doing before and/or after?

If so, can you give a step-by-step guide?

Not enough info to go on.

Do you want solid color satin, translucent satin, dyed satin, clear satin?  Lacquer, poly, oil...

Seems to be a lot of choices!~

Clear Satin.
I like the color of the wood and I don't want to get into any painting and ruin it.

Just a clear satin so the wood a grain can be showed off but is still protected by the elements.

And not quite sure on what kind of applicant.
Probably lacquer or polyurethane, but definitely not oil.

Please help.

Pretty straight forward, as alder doesn't require any filling...

If you're in the U.S., most Ace/True Value hardware stores carry Deft lacquer in gloss and satin.

You could shoot 2-4 coats of sanding sealer, and then level sand with #400 and start the satin lacquer coats, or could could just use the stain lacquer as sealer as well; CB has recommended that a couple of times, I've never tried it, but suspect you'd need to do some extra coats to get the sealing step done as the sanding sealer generally spray on thicker.

A lot of people get confused about the role of sanding sealer; it just really fills the purpose as primer for clear lacquer finishes.

Once you've applied the number of coats you're satisfied with, then it's just a matter of letting it cure out and doing final sanding and polishing.

Pic below is the alder back of one of my builds with a Warmoth clear gloss finish; should give you some idea of the final look, save for the gloss...

smstrat002.jpg

Thanks a bunch and that will definitely help me in this project that will hopefully turn out well.

I've spent over $800 so I don't wish to ruin this project just because I messed up on the finishing.

By the way, that guitar is a beauty.
I will make sure I post a picture of my finished product.

'Not trying to hijack this thread, but any suggestions for applying a "see-thru" green?...

Back