how thick is warmoth clear coat?

eiopago

hi,
i`m thinking about getting another warmoth guitar but with a finish this time.
i finished my previous one with 9 coats of  wipe on poly and noticed that this type of finish is actually quite soft, it protects the guitar for water and sweat but it jus scratches too easly.
the big advantage  is that it doesn`t dumpen the sound as opposed to a thick coat of clear poly as in my other jackson guitars.
so the question is, how thick is the finish that warmoth applies?
is it comparable to jacksons or other similar guitars or is it thinner?

thanks a lot in advance

eiopago said:
the big advantage  is that it doesn`t dumpen the sound as opposed to a thick coat of clear poly
how thick is the finish that warmoth applies

Not really the answer you're looking for... but... here goes.

Nobody has ever demonstrated that so called "thick" finishes rob tone, change tone, or have anything to do with tone whatsoever.

Fender has, in the past, use a polyethylene (not polyurethane) finish on some really low priced imports, where the PE finish was actually a structural part of the guitar.  Notably there were some really cheezy Korean imports made that way. - selling under the Fender name (not Squire) for about $149 in the mid 90's.  I'm not sure how long they did this, or if they still are.  It worked, it kept things in place for a while at least.

There are some that say a "thin nitro" finish is all the gaagaa for tone.  To them I say - (cough, BS, cough cough) prove it.  To me its clearly a case of fad-ism, where some notable self appointed guru states a claim, the boutique market follows (as they always do, in search of ever deeper niche's to cater profitably to), and a major manufacturer then follows, as Fender did - stating no claims about thin nitro finishes other than it was "vintage type" (more like vintage HYPE if you ask me).

Many folks, myself included, Jack, some others, have come to realize that body wood, on a solid body, is probably a whole lot less a contributor in tone than neck wood.  Similarly, body wood laminates, on a solid body, amount to almost nil tone change.  You're neck is the part that resonates the most, thus selectively attenuating (reducing, cutting) certain frequencies - shaping the tone.  Its the #2 tone shaper, with pickups being #1.

Someplace on that list:  Fretboard type on non maple necks, body wood and top wood on thinline/semi-hollow guitars, string brand and type, then things like all the rest of the electronics, fretboard wood on a maple neck, bridge type, string fastening method, pickup covers, etc.  Way down the list, like the dimmest stars in the sky... finish thickness on the body.

Just get the color or burst or clear you want. 

Warmoth does a REALLY good job at finishing.  REALLY REALLY good.

Having said all that, the finish they use is thin enough so that after a few years, you can begin to see the grain in the finish as it "shrinks in" a bit.  I've seen this on two bodies I've had that were mahogany.  In fact, it also "shrinks" into the maple as well.  Not an altogether unpleasing effect... it shows character.

Back