How much can you specify colour of fretboard wood ?

vegababy

I'm going to have a complete custom order, and was wondering when ordering the neck, how much can the customer specify colour of the wood used on the fretboard ?

Let's say I'm going to order an AAA flame maple neck with a rosewood board, is it possible to kindly request the rosewood to be as dark as possible WITHOUT going the 'One-Of-A-Kind Fingerboard Option' route, or is it a bit more like the lottery :) ? I don't mind too much the actual grain of the board, just colour preference.

You need to either order one off the Showcase, or use the new "One-Of-A-Kind Fingerboard Option"; otherwise it's the "Next One On Top Of The Pile" lottery

That's what I thought. Otherwise everyone would probably always ask for the nicest :). From the 'lottery' outcomes I've seen on this board I'm not too worried though !

You can order with specific colour paying some more money, only... I know that if you want to pick up a amazing spider's web Ziricote figuration, you got to pay +$65 to they search in the stock for it... Perhaps rosewood would be a little less, because it's not that hard find a dark one (if it's dark brown... if you want one looking ver closer to ebony, will be very expensive, because it's not very usual)

NonsenseTele said:
You can order with specific colour paying some more money, only... I know that if you want to pick up a amazing spider's web Ziricote figuration, you got to pay +$65 to they search in the stock for it... Perhaps rosewood would be a little less, because it's not that hard find a dark one (if it's dark brown... if you want one looking ver closer to ebony, will be very expensive, because it's not very usual)

Thanks for that !

I was originally going for ebony anyway but I'm a little 'scared' that it might get too bright soundwise. I'm going to ask a friend of mine here in the UK who's got a Bassworkshop and might be able to give me some advice on how much difference the fretboard wood is going to make...Decisions decisions :) !

What style of neck/back contour were you going to order, there are some nice ones up on the Showcase...

Vegababy said:
I'm going to have a complete custom order, and was wondering when ordering the neck, how much can the customer specify colour of the wood used on the fretboard ?

Let's say I'm going to order an AAA flame maple neck with a rosewood board, is it possible to kindly request the rosewood to be as dark as possible WITHOUT going the 'One-Of-A-Kind Fingerboard Option' route, or is it a bit more like the lottery :) ? I don't mind too much the actual grain of the board, just colour preference.

On the printable neck order form there is a box in the end of the page "Please write or type in any additional information or instructions you have for this neck". Write there you would like to have a dark fingerboard and if they have a dark one you 'll get it. I 'll say not to pay extra because you have many chances to get what you want without paying more.

jackthehack said:
What style of neck/back contour were you going to order, there are some nice ones up on the Showcase...

I think it's gonna be 'too special': Warmoth Pro, AAA flame maple, rosewood board, nut cut for Floyd Rose, Schaller tuners, vintage tint gloss AND (here's the main reason showcase isn't gonna work) it's gonna be matching headstock paint to the body :).

Kostas said:
On the printable neck order form there is a box in the end of the page "Please write or type in any additional information or instructions you have for this neck". Write there you would like to have a dark fingerboard and if they have a dark one you 'll get it. I 'll say not to pay extra because you have many chances to get what you want without paying more.

That sounds promising ! Thanks for pointing that out !

Back