How does dave murray bend his strings?!

It can be done, three ways.

1.  String elevation set high
2.  Graduated "fall off" from about fret 13 to fret 21
3.  Flattening the middle to high E string radius

Or a combination of all three.

Usually, you can get two step bends pretty easily on a vintage radius, and not overly tall string elevation.  If you want more bendy, or lower strings, you'll have to futz with the frettage.

Many years of experience leading to really strong fingers + light strings.

Back in the day we didn't have all these fancy radii, just 7.25" on all Fender axes.

How does Bob Marley like his donuts?.............

............... Wi' Jammin!

2 drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff.......

.......... Boom boom tschhhhhhhh

jackthehack said:
Many years of experience leading to really strong fingers + light strings.

Back in the day we didn't have all these fancy radii, just 7.25" on all Fender axes.

Well true....and  back in the day they used to file down the high string side of the upper frets to flatten them out a bit.  I think that tricks been around since early man used T-Rex gut for strings.

If it's his '57 Strat to which the Greek kid is referring, it was probably refretted and filed many times before he bought it.  He's probably had it done too, so probably the old trick of super tall jumbo frets filed to a compound radius.  It occurs to me too that a lot of players play well, and don't necessarily know how to set up instruments, so he knows a guy that knows a guy that does it for him.  Also, if you never know you're not supposed to bend like that then you can.  How did Adam and Eve know they were naked?

Adam and Eve realized they were naked after they found virtually no closet space in Eden. 

jimh said:
How does Bob Marley like his donuts?.............

............... Wi' Jammin!

2 drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff.......

.......... Boom boom tschhhhhhhh
That would be    "Wit jam 'mon"....
rasta.gif

Superlizard said:
I dunno 'bout Dave, but a lot of pro players actually play with a "higher-than-normal" action.

I actually got to mess around with Eddie Van Halen's striped Wolfgang Special when they were here in 1998. I've never seen a guitar with string action so low. I honestly have no idea how he doesn't get fret buzz. I'm guesstimating that a credit card *might* have fit between the frets and the strings. I've never seen anything like it and wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself.
MULLY

evhs.jpg

Back