How Do you Guys Do It?

Seryaph

The anticipation is killing me, and I haven't even placed on order yet!  :doh:  But just thinking about how my guitar is going to sound and feel . . . I know that once I order it I'm going to start hyperventilating. How do you guys have the patience to wait not only to order it, but to wait untill you receive it AND put it together to start playing it?

I think i will be able to order the body within the next week or so, after that, depending on how many odd jobs I can pick here or there, I'll be able to order the hardware and the neck probably a month or two later (leaning closer to two). How long (more or less) does it take for Warmoth to finish and ship a Black-Red-Yellow or Tobacco Burst Chambered Strat?

The best medicine is to order the next one as soon as the first one comes, that way you've always got a project. Ten guitars per year is about the right pace.  :toothy12:

Side effects may include bankruptcy, divorce, eviction, and too much internet forum posting.  :sign13:

Being pretty much broke is a good cure. Especially if you don't have to pay for the basic needs for life.
My one electric is Warmoth, and I've spent pretty much all of my money from the last year. Next one may have to wait until I get a new laptop, though. My monitor's going.

my basic rule is:  Only build something that will be a useful tool to make live music with.  As soon as I start wanting that cherry SG, I remind myself that I'd never play it on stage, and that kills the urge.

Reading Mayfly's response makes me ponder.  Its been years since I played on stage, and it is doubtful that I ever will again, just because of my career demands.  That said, I have discovered a new love in building what I consider to be cool customs.  Fortunately, I've run out of places to put them, so my final orders should be my last.

I've limited myself to 3 guitars, that way if I see something I like I have to decide if I want it more than the 3 I already have, well I say 3, that doesn't count my old beater I kept from when I was a kid.......or acoustics, they don't count........or hollow bodies, they're practically acoustics so they don't count either. Hell I don't know how we do it, I only clicked on the thread thinking you were looking for sex tips.

DocNrock said:
Reading Mayfly's response makes me ponder.  Its been years since I played on stage, and it is doubtful that I ever will again, just because of my career demands.  That said, I have discovered a new love in building what I consider to be cool customs.  Fortunately, I've run out of places to put them, so my final orders should be my last.
Display em on the wall Doc!   I consider unique guitars like yours to be in the functional art category, as beautiful as they are playable.

As far as the OP's question, keep busy!  Most of the Warmoth stuff I've used is for other people.  I've only been able to keep one for myself. 

It seems that I've always got someones guitar that I'm working on, but since these are side jobs I tend to get backlogged.  Right now I have a beat up Yamaha classical that needs a neck reset (ugh), a fairly new Strat that the owner tried to do his own recessed Floyd rout and destroyed the body (I'll get around to ordering that replacement body when the dude finally coughs up the cash Tony), and an Ibanez S that's getting new Dimarzio pickups.

The funniest part about placing your order is when Spike says "It'll take 8-10 weeks, and the wait is going to suck.  I wish there was something I could tell you that would make it not suck, but there is nothing.  Just try to think about something else, try to keep busy.  And don't call us every day asking how it is going."

Seryaph said:
I think i will be able to order the body within the next week or so, after that, depending on how many odd jobs I can pick here or there, I'll be able to order the hardware and the neck probably a month or two later (leaning closer to two). How long (more or less) does it take for Warmoth to finish and ship a Black-Red-Yellow or Tobacco Burst Chambered Strat?

If you will use a pickguard, order the pickguard with the body. Also order the hardware with the guitar, half of it with the body and the other half with the neck. It will be cheaper for you.

Kostas said:
If you will use a pickguard, order the pickguard with the body. Also order the hardware with the guitar, half of it with the body and the other half with the neck. It will be cheaper for you.

I think I can get the pickguard, but to order half of the hardware with the guitar I would have to wait a whole 'nother month. Is it worth it?

Do you guys know what the sales tax is?

Back