How big is the 59 neck profile?

johnzah

Is it considered "too big" for a jazzmaster? I think I would like it but I have an American tele that I like too which is pretty much the standard thin profile, but I have always wished it was a little bigger.

What do you think?

Not too big at all. Go with a Fatback if you can handle big necks. The 59 Roundback is a great choice all around, though. No neck is too big for a certain guitar, I'd say.

johnzah said:
Awesome, thank you. I guess I could always sand it down if it was too big

I'd take a rain check on that. It's never too big. The difference is mainly, with a fatback there isn't and slop down on the strat neck. Pic included. Click the link. I took a HUGE picture, but pictured in it for size ref is a standard 63mm Dunlop Tortex pick.

You can see what I mean about "no slope" from Headstock to Neck. The 59 roundback has a slope, the fatback/boatneck do not. I still recommend a fatback over the 59, though. It's that much more wood. Lotta tone.

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8095/blackstratneckwidth.jpg

I am a fan of the 59 Roundback neck profile.
I haven't any good descriptive words for it though. A bit thicker than a modern Strat.

Tipperman said:
johnzah said:
Awesome, thank you. I guess I could always sand it down if it was too big

I'd take a rain check on that. It's never too big. The difference is mainly, with a fatback there isn't and slop down on the strat neck. Pic included. Click the link. I took a HUGE picture, but pictured in it for size ref is a standard 63mm Dunlop Tortex pick.

You can see what I mean about "no slope" from Headstock to Neck. The 59 roundback has a slope, the fatback/boatneck do not. I still recommend a fatback over the 59, though. It's that much more wood. Lotta tone.

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/8095/blackstratneckwidth.jpg

Wow great picture. Thank you very much for the info

You're welcome. If I could, I'd take a picture of the old 59 Roundback I had too, but I traded it. If I go by that guys place I'll get a picture, if you haven't made your decision by then.

I think the current Warmoth Standard profile is too thin. What's strange is that I have an old guitar I built out of Warmoth parts about 17 years ago and the neck is thicker than a Standard profile neck I bought recently. The old neck is almost as thick as a 59er.

My wife says I have short 'sausage' fingers (I call them well muscled  :laughing11:) and i find the 59 contour perfect for me, so dont worry about that aspect of it.

If you go to Gui-Target, and pickup a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded, or their 58 Re-issue Flying V, you've basically handled a '59 profile.

I've been a wizard player for 20+ years, have had the Standard Thin on my "Z" that was stolen last year, and have been gassing for the 59" profile ever since I handled so many of them when I worked at the Turtle House.

If you like a larger than slim/fast Ibby type neck, but aren't ready to jump up to a Louisville Slugger like the Fat or the Boat, then the '59 is perfect middle ground.  Great for those in transition from smaller profiles to larger ones.  This should be a gradual transition too, in my opinion.  Jumping from an itty bitty neck to the largest available could potentially result in some muscle/tendon issues in your fretting hand.

If you like the asymetrical contours, on the slimmer side is the Wolfgang, and the slightly larger but not Fat is the SRV.

My first is a standard thin. It still works for me but bigger seems better.
My second, the '59 and padouk, is nice, in my opinion,
but my third, boat neck and bloodwood, fits my hand better and is still not too big.
My next will be either a boat or fat.

The padouk is to rough feeling for me. Slightly distracting, but I forget about it after a few minutes.
Bloodwood is very smooth.
My standard thin is maple and finished, and feels better than the roughness of the padouk.
The bloodwood feels the best of all 3. Very smooth!

All 3 are 1-3/4" nut width.

yeah the 59' sounds right up my alley. I have to wait a couple weeks to order it but NOW I just have to figure out if I should try the compound radius that I've been hearing so much about or stick with what I know and get the 9.5"

Back