How about headless guitars and basses?

I don't think the style ever took off.  It's quite an abrasive look.
I can only think of four musicians that had them: David Gilmour, Edward Van Halen, Bill S. Preston Esquire, and Ted Theodore Logan.

sb19-01-SNL.jpg

evhstein04.jpg

billandted460.jpg

I couldn't even find a proper screenshot from the movies where they were holding them.

I'm assuming demand and ROI are dismal for this 'cause I'm guessing the design is pretty much locked down & would require a full license.  I'd consider it if it were an option, but probably wouldn't anyhow.

Sounds doable until you look for the Hardware  at both ends. ABM in Germany have it but
its like trying to get Schaller parts  :dontknow:
Can't remember Eddie using one that pic got me laughing.

From the wikipedia entry: Eddie Van Halen has used a Steinberger guitar with TransTrem on several songs, including "Get Up" and "Summer Nights" (from 5150), "Fire in the Hole" (from Van Halen III), and "Me Wise Magic" (from Best of Volume I).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_DH-2LvxM
Van Halen - Get Up - Live Without A Net

I think headless makes a lot of sense on bass and I'd be into it. And in addition to ABM, Hipshot also makes headless bass HW.

As for other notable guitarists, Steve Howe used a 12-string Steinberger quite a bit in concert back in the '90's.

Mike Rutherford used one during the 80's.

But then again almost every top-of-the-pops band used one during the 80's. And had a guy on keytar and a girl on bass.*

I used to have a sustainer-equipped Musicyo Steinberger. But although I really dig the look I never really bonded with it.

* Slight exaggeration may occur. 

Never had a Tv during the mid 80's, looks like Hipshot have the Bassist covered not the
Guitarist. Hohner turned out the G2T & G3T they seem to get snapped up, seems like
they would be ideal Travel Guitars.

And Steve Howe:

620382_1370398.jpg

I recently bought the most awesome headless bass... will post it soon!!!

The idea took off like wildfire. In the 80s, pretty much every guitarist who was anyone had one. Then, it became unfashionable and nobody really talks about them anymore. They've been gaining a fair bit of popularity in the technical / prog metal scene recently, though, with Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders) and Misha Mansoor (Periphery) leading trends.

There are a couple of manufacturers doing headless instruments and parts.
  • The first one to really take off was Steinberger, but the company was sold to Gibson, who threw out most of the quality ideas and started manufacturing shite.
  • Hohner licensed the tech and still makes decent quality headless guitars, but without the graphite that Steinberger engineered
  • Strandberg make cool lightweight headless hardware and ergonomically designed guitars
  • Rick Toone also makes cool lightweight headless hardware and guitars that are somehow hideous and gorgeous at the same time
  • Moses Graphite make graphite headless necks, bodies, and sometimes complete guitars and basses if you ask very nicely.
  • JCustom started making replacement hardware, but moved up to making complete GL-style (broomstick) guitars with Moses graphite necks and wood bodies
  • Fretsong guitars also make headless instruments with Moses necks and JCustom hardware

Incidentally, the solution looking for a problem point is an interesting one. The original design was a bass, the XL series. These do legitimately solve a major problem: bass hardware is really heavy and the instruments tend to be neck-heavy, especially on 5-and-more-stringed instruments. Then guitarists started wanting them. I personally think most guitars are too heavy, especially for people with injuries, and neck-dive is irritating to me, but many disagree. They're also great travel guitars, and I find them much more comfortable to play (in the weird pseudo-classical angle that I play) than most electrics.

RE: Rick Toone guitar lutheir

That some crazy shizzle there. Good description of his work Kadmium

I've got that site bookmarked for more reading.

David Bowie and Reeves Gabrels in Tin Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60zQbH5qkqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaK-HjSNMVU

Lou Reed had a Klein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5eXSPKHlso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b2NciZUnw

I like the look of guitar sized humbuckers on basses, though Fender spacing makes it all but impossible.  7 string pickups with blades fix that (à la Hachikid) but pickup rings for 7 strings come in any color you want as long as it's black.  I was researching differences between guitar and bass pickups, and the biggest differences are the obvious ones; string spacing/pole pieces and shape.  They are very similar outputs and magnetic strength, considering magnetic variety and high vs low output.

I liked the M-series Steinbergers with the body wings. The only time I ever played a headless guitar though, I kept shooting off the end of the neck when my thumb didn't encounter the limit switch.

leo12. said:
Sounds doable until you look for the Hardware  at both ends. ABM in Germany have it but
its like trying to get Schaller parts  :dontknow:

This - and the patents thing. 

Yes, there's also hipshot's selection, but the patents that Gibson holds (they own Steinberger now) keep a lot of other bigger builders away from it.  Carvin couldn't do the headless Holdsworth for years because of hardware & patent issues; there's a thread somewhere on the Carvin bbs describing the history of that.

I'd LOVE to have an all maple, all American made quality "broom" bass with decent pickup offerings, but it's way below other wants.  Unless I start doing a lot more airline travel, I wouldn't put it any higher on my wish list than a genuine* Rickenbacker. 

As for a Warmoth offering - I dunno how they would combine that with existing tooling (a very small body with a Fender pocket - maybe move & shrink the control cavity?), but I would guess it's not in their economic best interest, since it is no longer 1986.  :(

* Now, a Fakenbacker 5 string cut from a Warmoth body blank & paddle headstock, with modern sounding pickups & pre-amp?  That's at the TOP of my wish list.  :icon_biggrin:

Back