Homebrew mahogany body, warmoth neck bass

wow... Thanks for the  :icon_thumright:

Great ego boost.

The neck is pretty sweet - I feel ridiculous having put off finishing this bass for so long.

I personally liked Warwicks, but not the straight lower horn, and I liked Spectors but not the symmetrical butt. So... this is the shape I came up with.
The profile was asymmetrical when I first cut it out, and when I revised it this year (almost 10 years after cutting it out), I made sure the waist on either side was equidistant from the mid line, as well as the widest points of the butt (If that makes any sense).
The mockup obviously has more detail than what'll be in the finished product, but I'll take my time, try to pull it off as great looking as possible. If I don't like the product, I'll scrap it and make a simpler bloodwood cover.

The tattoo (tried taking pics, the self shots are horrid - it's on the back of my calf) is basically only the outline of what I plan for the cover, made in very thick black line (no bones). Just stylized outline. Two of those, one smaller than the other, representing my wife and I. Why polar bears? Dunno - just liked it. Plan to put two smaller ones for my daughter and my (to be) baby coming in November. (Then the audience says "awwwwwwwww...")

I wanted to do a "flaming skull" type thing, but not a flaming skull. Mind you, if the polar bear looks bad, it might end up being a flaming skull.
It's what the bass told me it wanted - a flaming skull type thing, but not a flaming skull. No, but seriously, I don't play punk music (blues, jazz and alternative), but I think the global image of the bass requires it.

-M

I'm kind of glad the tattoo pic didn't turn out. I was fearing an emo chick myspace bathroom mirror self pic type thing. :toothy12:

pabloman said:
I'm kind of glad the tattoo pic didn't turn out. I was fearing an emo chick myspace bathroom mirror self pic type thing. :toothy12:

That's EXACTLY how it turned out. Not that it wasn't clear or well composed or anything.  But it was definitely an Emo-Chick-Myspace-Self-Shot-In-The-Bathroom-Mirror-Pic-Or-Something. It's also why I didn't post it.

Just trust me - it looks like the outline of the planned cover. On my calf. Which I've never shaved. That's it.

Despite the necessities of life, I went ahead and started working on my cover.

First made the shapes out of some scrap:
4824889311_917d12ffa2.jpg

traced from a paper cutout, cut on a scroll saw and or bandsaw, sanded with the drill press using the lee valley kit. It was a breeze.

Then routed the bloodwood and the acrylic (after having cut them to within 1/16")
4824878835_cfff6acfb0.jpg

1. 119$ for this router and table at canadian tire now seems like a steal - it works great!
2. Routing acrylic sucks. The end result is fine, but it smells, and the little flakes come off the router at 3000°C, and a t-shirt is no adequate protection. On the upside, once they cooled down, since I didn't clean up, it snowed acrylic flakes in my shop (literally) every time I turned the router on.
4825489018_b43f5c9628.jpg
- haven't yet taken the protection off the acrylic.

So as to rout the acrylic to be able to inset the bloodwood, I thought it would be a good idea to make a template.
Bane on my existence.
Using a forstner bit:
4825489784_63d4bed711.jpg

Cleaning up with a 1/4" inlay bit on the router table and the sanding press:
4825491118_389b9c62d7.jpg

I'm not satisfied with the result, but it's not really going to show once the cracks are filled in with CA.
4824901453_9d8db3fcd4.jpg

I'll mock it up without the bones, see how I like it. At least I'll be able to finish my wiring. Add the bones later? My template making experience is turning me off hard. Not so much flaming-skulls-ish without the bones though.

Takes risk to win big I guess.

-M

So I was re-reading this thread (as it's too dark to work in my shop - I'm dependent on daylight), and I thought... Since I'm not happy with my routing template (and I'll have to make another one to rout the bass for it's cavity cover) - I made the neck routing template with bondo, sticks and cellophane. Maybe I can make my routing templates with copies of my bear(s), vaseline and pour acrylic... What do you think?

Progress report:
Copied my MDF templates to MDF - making them a little oversize by putting electrical tape on the bearing.
The oversized MDF Templates will be covered in floor wax paste, put into a waxed square frame, and acrylic from www.pmhobbycraft.ca here in Calgary will be poured to about the same thickness as the MDF. 15$ for the acrylic - hope I have enough. Hopefully the wax will allow me to remove the MDF and the wood frame and be left with a great clear acrylic template for body routing, and routing the plastic part of the cover to recess the bloodwood in.

Decided to try my hand at cutting out the bones.
Wife's scroll saw.
Spiral blade - man those things are awesome, but do they ever break! Good thing they're cheap. Had to go with a hybrid approach - some with a small normal blade, some with a spiral blade. The kerf is actually quite thin with the spiral blade - I was pleasantly surprised.
Stuck a copy of my model using spray adhesive.

4836915532_37998f5d58.jpg

4836914730_8e1ac7375b.jpg

4836914006_41a38ab8bd.jpg

I'll inlay the bloodwood into the black acrylic,sand flush. Inlay the bones. Sand flush. Then it's going to be used as my control cavity cover...

mgaut051 said:
I'll inlay the bloodwood into the black acrylic,sand flush. Inlay the bones. Sand flush. Then it's going to be used as my control cavity cover...

So.. no LED backlighting? <grin>

That's gonna be sharp. Do you do the inlay by hand, or do you have a little CNC table?

Cagey said:
mgaut051 said:

So.. no LED backlighting? <grin>

That's gonna be sharp. Do you do the inlay by hand, or do you have a little CNC table?

Thinking about the leds... I have some pros and cons...
If by CNC you mean an opposable thumb, then yes.

Word to the wise: level your workbench BEFORE you pour your epoxy.

Box made out of maple, wiped with paste wax. Bottom lined with sulfur paper. Templates ever so slightly oversized. Also wiped with paste wax.

4841909597_eaa95a5dee.jpg

4841910891_c584e4a7fe.jpg

The big one will serve to rout the bass for it's cover. The small one will serve to rout the black plastic cover for the bloodwood inset.

my original plan was to let it sit for much much longer.
3 hours?

rock solid, if a little bendy.

I'll let it cure before I use it.

4842129195_6e4e9244dc.jpg

Back