Home studio/Total n00b

erogenousjones17

With playmates constantly moving away and locals only interested in playing Teh Metuhlz (chug chug SQUEEEE ain't exactly my cup o' TEEEA), I've been toying with the idea of setting up a very basic recording space at home. I know I'll need some new toys, I've just no idea what. At the moment, I've got guitars, a bass and a laptop with Garage Band.

Where do I go from here? :tard:

I know that PC based recording is all the rage, but I like the Zoom R24.  24 channels, 8 at a time, mic preamps, phantom power, small, $300 used, even runs on batteries for a while. Can sequence tracks - something I use all the time when working out songs. play a rhythm guitar track I like, cut n paste a verse. Once I have song structure worked out, I go back and learn what I played, but I don't spend a lot of time trying to hammer down parts while the whole song is still in a gelatinous state.

Here's a radom one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-R24-Digital-Multi-Track-Recorder-w-1-GB-SD-card-/131548397490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea0e53fb2

It doesn't really do MIDI. That doesn't really impact me hugely. Once I get the analog parts tracked, I'll load it up on the PC for editing and so forth, but it works well for my luddite work flow.

If you've got Garage Band, on a Mac you can do quite a lot.

First you are going to need a sound card as a means of getting sounds into the Mac. Some multiFX have these built in and you can attach via USB. Other dedicated units are available that use Thunderbolt or FireWire. 

But perhaps let us know what you plan to record and what equipment you already have.

If you outgrow Garage Band further down the road, Logic is available and very powerful and you can import your Garage Band projects into Logic.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to construct complete songs, which means I'd need some way of getting drums in there. As for equipment, well, I have none.  :icon_biggrin:

A good starting point for drums is EZ Drummer from toontrack.

If you give use the specs or model of Mac, then we can suggest some Audio interfaces.

Do you have anything like a Multi FX, or amp that you want to mix up ?

All I know off the top of my head (I'm at work...) is that it's a Macbook. Not much help there, eh?

EZ Drummer looks interesting. I don't have a mult FX or anything of the sort. That's what I've been seeing as the biggest hurdle: getting guitar sounds into the computer...

Zoom R8 and R24 also has a drum machine in the sequencer. (R16 does not) It's decent, I just hate working that way. Enough that I actually bought a kit and started taking lessons. That goes for ANY grid/pad based thingy, including PC based.

You can however record drum patterns in the loop/sequencer thingy by tapping on pads.  There are a number of videos on youtube by people showing how it works. Unfortunately, most of them are way talky and improvised. I bought the professionally done video set for about $30, it was nice, and takes some of the pain out. Whether its worth it basically depends on your tolerance for rambling yahoos on youtube vs speed at picking up things yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0KCT4krU8

I would love (love) to have a kit at home. I took some lessons a few years ago (and was getting pretty decent, if I do say so myself), but sadly, that's not really an option, at least not at the moment.

I basically suck as a drummer, but I'm still having fun with it. It's really teaching my drummer how to play, as my 2.5 yo is bananas about them now, and loves to play with dad. I figure in about 12 years we should be rockin pretty good.

But still... I figured I could beat on things and do better "drum progamming" than I could tapping out pads or clicking on things with a mouse. I'm trying to get an e-kit worked out, but it's not real high on priority. Since my 2yo got some hand me down kids drums - I got my kit back and I can practice as long as he's awake and not in trouble (no drums is the ultimate punishment. Seriously)

Probably to get started something like a FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 2I2 USB AUDIO INTERFACE,  would get you going. Also get a decent set of headphones and or studio monitors. From there the sky's the limit.

The Zoom products mentioned by Swarfrat are a good option if you don't want or prefer not to use a computer based solution. If I remember I mentioned it on a thread when he was looking for something. Glad it's working out for him.

Cool. I've done two albums on GarageBand and it works well

1- get a good audio interface. I'm currently running one of the new Tascam units. The 2 channel unit is quite cheap.

2 get a good condenser mic. You just need one, so you can spend as much as you can afford. I've gotten into building my own for super high quality units for about $500

3 - if you suck at drums, just use the built in ones in GarageBand. Or grab one of the apps that other folks suggest.

4- get used to thinking that you suck when you hear the playback:)

Mayfly said:
4- get used to thinking that you suck when you hear the playback:)

Hehe! Ain't that the truth? You think you know what you're doing while you record, then at playback you hear what you did when you're not actually doing it, at which point you swear to Christ and all that's holy that there's no way that amateur hack on that miserably bad recording of some stranger who's clearly never touched a guitar in his life is you. There's a damned ghost in the machine :laughing7:

Of course, deep down inside you know all you need is better equipment...

My thinking is that I'm learning drum programming using sticks instead of mice.

stratamania said:
If you've got Garage Band, on a Mac you can do quite a lot.

First you are going to need a sound card as a means of getting sounds into the Mac. Some multiFX have these built in and you can attach via USB. Other dedicated units are available that use Thunderbolt or FireWire. 

But perhaps let us know what you plan to record and what equipment you already have.

If you outgrow Garage Band further down the road, Logic is available and very powerful and you can import your Garage Band projects into Logic.

ALL THIS - get yourself a used Apogee Duet 2and make songs.  The latest release of GB has built in "session drummers" that could be handy if you haven't mastered programming.

Here's a good site: https://www.homemusicstudio1.com/home-recording/

Check out his blogs: https://www.homemusicstudio1.com/blog/page/14/

I can vouch for Focusrite Saffire Pro40 as a decent preamp/interface. The Focusrite line has a variety of interfaces, so you may not want the Pro40 capabilities but there's others that are smaller with same preamps. Well priced too. These preamp/interfaces are Firewire connectivity but can be adapted to the Thunderbolt socket with an Apple adaptor line.

There's a You Tube channel called GarageBand & Beyond that shows you how to squeeze the most out of what Apple gave you. Link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX5iJzFRYrClA39XL_r-r_A

I've seen good comments about the Rode M5 pair of condensor mics if you intend recording acoustically. Again, reasonably priced for a pair of condensor mics.

The thing I have found a continual annoyance with my home studio is the various cables and sockets/plug combinations I need (and usually get stumped by one I don't have!). Suggest a decent range of various lengths of XLR cables, TRS-TRS cables & TS patch leads. Don't really need to go overboard with Mogami Platinum cables but don't buy junk either. With all of your equipment, get to know the socket/plug combinations. If you don't know the difference between XLR, TRS & TS plugs/sockets, or whether they are male or females, get to know them ASAP. It will save you a heap of time and money on mismatched cables.

The Focusrite stuff doesn't have the best drivers (or converters) at the Apogee's price point.  I'd still push for the Duet 2 as a great value that punches welllll above it's weight. 

Yes the Apogees also a good option. The Focusrite I mentioned was just for the OP to get a feel for the type of thing to look for.

I don't use either of them so no preference one way or the other.

fdesalvo said:
The Focusrite stuff doesn't have the best drivers (or converters) at the Apogee's price point.  I'd still push for the Duet 2 as a great value that punches welllll above it's weight.

No experience with Apogee as I'm running a PC (Apogee only do hardware for Apple), but they do look good quality.

Re-Pete said:
fdesalvo said:

No experience with Apogee as I'm running a PC (Apogee only do hardware for Apple), but they do look good quality.

RME would be good for a PC.

Back