Hollow Swamp Ash J Bass

When it's fully assembled, I'll post in the J Bass section.  It came today, here's a few pics.
P1040889.jpg

P1040896.jpg

P1040891.jpg

Man that's Super Turbo Deluxe Custom.......... :icon_thumright: I like the rev headstock.....

tfarny said:
Oh, very nice! Is that a Warmoth finish?

Yes it's a Warmoth finish.  It's Tobacco Burst with a satin matte finish.  It looks like a Honey Burst in some of the pics, but it's Tobacco Burst.  The pickguard is Mint/Black/Mint (looks white in a few picks) and the neck is the vintage tint with satin matte finish.

jackthehack said:
That should rock; what for electronics?

EMG's new vintage take on their J-Bass pickups; they have pole pieces.  It's (going to be) wired with each pickup getting it's own volume, master tone, 3-way toggle, and series/parallel on the tone push/pull for 9v or 18v from the double battery box.

Interesting, I didn't know they made finishes like that.

So they charge extra, or is it the same as a gloss?

Micahbell said:
Interesting, I didn't know they made finishes like that.

So they charge extra, or is it the same as a gloss?

No extra charge.  Just the flat $220 for the Tobacco Burst.  He did say it took an extra week to cure.

I got the idea from an LP that was in the gallery on warmoth.com.  If you've ever felt their satin necks, they feel fast and smooth, like they don't even have a finish, that's how the whole body feels.

Thanks everybody for the comments and compliments.  I ordered it before I ever found out about unofficialwarmoth.com.  It looks kind of boring compared to some of the works of art on here.  It's not spalted, bound, quilted, or made of exotic woods.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
  It looks kind of boring compared to some of the works of art on here.  It's not spalted, bound, quilted, or made of exotic woods.
I know how you feel, but some of that stuff looks tacky. Your bass is all class. :icon_thumright:

No, your bass is perfect like it is. There's a lot to be said for simplicity sometimes.

I really like the burst, and the body fits the reversed headstock really well. Same direction for the slant.
Boring? No way.
Simple? Yup. And I like it.

I did the wiring last night.  It was a tricky SOB.  It took as long as the assembly did.  But, I got it right the first time.  I had two wiring diagrams and was making a hybrid of the two.  I haven't set the action or intonation yet, but plugged in last night to get a feel for the sound.  Awesome!  At 9v, even with EMGs in it, it didn't have that "sterile" sound to it.  At 18v, I was expecting more of a Hi-Fi, metallic sound emphasizing the treble, but instead it was a more rounded mid sound on the neck pickup.  The bridge sounded almost identical with both voltages.  If anyone has EMGs, I highly recommend doing a 9v to 18v push/pull.

Back