Hipshot Contour strat install pops off posts (without strings)

Hi everyone,

I have a mostly-complete strat build with Warmoth neck and showcase body. Very impressed so far. Have everything done besides the trem and strings.

I purchased a Hipshot Contour trem. I made the assumption that "drop in replacement for American Standard routes" is the same thing as  "drop-in replacement for American Standard compatible routes" (like Warmoth's). Luckily a 2017 thread here was helpful in instructions to route out an 1/8" of the back of the trem cavity and the Hipshot has clearance now.

However, while trying to connect springs to the claw, or after connecting strings then bending it at all, it's very easy for the trem to jiggle slightly, and the flat pivot can often move backwards just enough so it pops off, and over the post. I hope that explains things, I should create a youtube account.

I've set up 2- and 6-screw strat trems in the past but nothing with a knife edge (edit: or thin steel pin bearing pivot like this), or as nice as this. Those all had much more metal around the post, or had screw holes that prevented this.

Silly question, is string tension for knife edge trems critical in keeping them on the posts? Or could I have installed something wrong or chosen some incompatible parts?

I did measure height and experiment with different heights, and I did install the post marked "treble" on the treble side.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

I am having a little difficulty interpreting the question. Are you testing this without string tension?

Or does this happen also with normal string tension when you bend?

If you are doing this without the spring and string tension at proper pitch all things being equal a knife edge trem could slip off the posts as there is nothing "holding" it in place.

Thanks!

And thanks for any interpreting you had to to do read that... I reworded the question a few times and still wasn't 100% sure I explained it well, hence the thought to maybe post a video.

I had connected the trem springs and the E/e strings, but reproduced the behavior and thought I'd check with the experts here. I did not have all six strings connected and tensioned to pitch. I'll try that and report back.

That did the trick, thank you! I just needed to be a little bit braver :)

Down to saddle height, intonation, and pickup height.

The purple quilt strat and tea tele in your signature are very nice by the way!

Glad you got it sorted out so far.

Thanks for the feedback on the guitars.

There are more build threads if you are interested. I need to round them up somehow.

And post some pics of your build when it is done so we can see it also...

Back