Hilarious guitar

hannaugh

Master Member
This guy who comes into the store brought me a guitar to clean up and do a setup on.  It's one of these:

2369612751_b9707ca351_o.jpg

When I opened the case, I just said "Dear Lord!".

Yeah what's with the hate?

I've wanted one of these for awhile. they rock! :guitarplayer2:

Have you seen the Synth that goes along with it? I weighs like 4000 lbs and looks like they ripped it off the original Battlestar Gallactica.

Awesome!
GR700_3.jpg

Hey, if it's good enough for Steve Stevens ........

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWz1arZK1zs[/youtube]

I'm just saying, what's with the handle thingy?  It looks ridiculous. 

Also, there is a thing in the end that looks like you are supposed to put an NES cartridge into it.  I don't know what that's all about. 

hannaugh said:
I'm just saying, what's with the handle thingy?  It looks ridiculous.  

Also, there is a thing in the end that looks like you are supposed to put an NES cartridge into it.  I don't know what that's all about.  

At the time the "handle thingy" was more approprately known as a "stabalizer bar".  MIDI guitars were in their infancy, and had all kinds of tracking issues.  This was Roland's answer.  Whether that bar did improve the tracking or not was a largely debated topic ...

The "NES cartridge" was the MIDI connector port to the brain/foot controller.  Agreed that it doesn't look quite as streamlined as the new GK pickup's output port .......

I personally think it looks kinda cool ... If I found one on ebay that wasn't outragously priced, I would seriously consider buying it .... for the whole retro thing!!!!

Have you played one?  It's incredibly awkward.  I hate that stabilizer bar, it gets in the way. 

hannaugh said:
Have you played one?  It's incredibly awkward.  I hate that stabilizer bar, it gets in the way. 

What's really awkward is the choreography in the Flesh For Fantasy video.

hannaugh said:

I played one once at a music store ... there was almost a lineup to try it out!!!

VERY uncomfortable to play sitting down, but not too bad standing up.  Although the strap has to be at "breastfeeder" (a slang term my buddies came up with meaning someone who wears their guitar REALLY high) level.  Joey Ramone would have a hard time with the stabilizer bar as well, I think.

From what I remember, the synth sounds were, well very "synthy", like playing a Moog.  Guitar tones were OK, but I was much younger at the time, so I don't know how "refined" my tone tastes were .....  :confused4:

Well the guy who brought it to me wants to learn to play on this thing, and I think I'm gonna tell him he should just go pick up a MIM Strat instead, because this thing is pretty uncomfortable to play. 

Here's a link to the bass version that's for sale ...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/midi-bass-roland-GR77-synth-G77_W0QQitemZ120549151034QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFR_YO_InstrumentsMusique_Guitares?hash=item1c114a113a

They show a pretty good picture of the 24-pin cable.

AndyG said:
hannaugh said:

I played one once at a music store ... there was almost a lineup to try it out!!!

VERY uncomfortable to play sitting down, but not too bad standing up.  Although the strap has to be at "breastfeeder" (a slang term my buddies came up with meaning someone who wears their guitar REALLY high) level.  Joey Ramone would have a hard time with the stabilizer bar as well, I think.

From what I remember, the synth sounds were, well very "synthy", like playing a Moog.  Guitar tones were OK, but I was much younger at the time, so I don't know how "refined" my tone tastes were .....   :confused4:

WIth all due respect, Joey Ramone was the vocalist, and Johnny Ramone was the guitarist.  But I think I know what you mean!
:headbang:

Nightclub Dwight said:
AndyG said:
hannaugh said:

From what I remember, the synth sounds were, well very "synthy", like playing a Moog.  Guitar tones were OK, but I was much younger at the time, so I don't know how "refined" my tone tastes were .....   :confused4:

WIth all due respect, Joey Ramone was the vocalist, and Johnny Ramone was the guitarist.  But I think I know what you mean!
:headbang:

I was gonna say....HAHAA, those Midi guitars were hilarious then, they are hilarious now.
Wait a tic...it's got a Kahler!...Naw it's still goofy.  :laughing11:

I think it was the bass version that was used in the movie, "Howard the Duck," but that really is all you have to mention right there.
Patrick

I was gonna say....HAHAA, those Midi guitars were hilarious then, they are hilarious now.
Wait a tic...it's got a Kahler!...Naw it's still goofy.  :laughing11:
[/quote]

That's not actually a Kahler ... it is a REALLY crappy trem that Roland designed.  With the MIDI pickups's tracking, divebombs weren't exactly what they would be through a Marshall.  I guess you could've used it as a "pitch wheel" for the synth!

Volitions Advocate said:
Yeah what's with the hate?

I've wanted one of these for awhile. they rock! :guitarplayer2:

Have you seen the Synth that goes along with it? I weighs like 4000 lbs and looks like they ripped it off the original Battlestar Gallactica.

Awesome!
GR700_3.jpg

I LOL'd at this...during a REALLY sh*tty day - thanks for that... somewhere there's a Cylon missing its Axe.  :icon_biggrin:

ORC

Back