Hetfield Inspired Nomad Build (Body is In; Staining Started)

OrcJuice said:
While we are on the topic of stains. I'd like to add a question.

What do you use to "seal" or "finish" the stain after applied?
Also, can you stain the headstock? I assume yes. And can or should you stain the back of the neck or just oil it?

Again, thank you in advance!

On the body, some folks will fill or seal the wood first, then apply the stain. They say it results in a more even color as it doesn't darken in the end grain. Others stain first and then apply filler or sealer. I've filled first then stained and it does help a little on the end grain but it can result in trouble with certain types of grain filler. Once the stain is on and dried, I just proceed right into whatever type of finish I'm going to use. Your best bet would be to get some pieces of wood the same type as the body and use those to experiment or practice on to give you an idea of how it will turn out.
As for the neck, it depends what type of wood it is. Some folks have trouble getting maple to take stain well, because it's so dense and close grained. Mahogany usually takes stain well.

PhilHill said:
Your best bet would be to get some pieces of wood the same type as the body and use those to experiment or practice on to give you an idea of how it will turn out.

Good idea. Thank you.

As for the neck, it depends what type of wood it is. Some folks have trouble getting maple to take stain well, because it's so dense and close grained. Mahogany usually takes stain well.

Point taken. I was probably going to go with a maple neck. So maybe I'll just oil it. But if I use maple, that leaves the headstock.....hrm.....

OrcJuice said:
PhilHill said:
Your best bet would be to get some pieces of wood the same type as the body and use those to experiment or practice on to give you an idea of how it will turn out.

Good idea. Thank you.

Point taken. I was probably going to go with a maple neck. So maybe I'll just oil it. But if I use maple, that leaves the headstock.....hrm.....

If you get the neck from Warmoth they can do the headstock in something different than the rest of the neck. However, right now that would probably result in a long wait for a custom order. Dagnab Virus!

So my Nomad body came in today and I'm stoked to get started. I have a few more parts to order and the neck is on order as well. So for stain I think I'm going to do the following:

Crimson Guitar Stunning Stain (Black):
https://www.crimsonguitars.com/store/stunning-stains/

ColorTone Powdered Grain Filler (Ebony):
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials-and-supplies/finishing-supplies/fillers-and-putties/colortone-powdered-grain-filler.html

I'm hoping the blacks don't match up perfectly and gives the grain a contrast to the black. I thought about going with a different color, but with this grain pattern, I think it would be too much. Thoughts?

My problem is what to do with the finish of both the guitar and the maple neck I've ordered. I'm getting the neck "unfinished" and would like to stain the front of the headstock black, but what do I do with the rest of the neck? It's an ebony fretboard.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• NomadWarmoth.jpg
    NomadWarmoth.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Staining has begun! I decided to go with Wudtone staining kits. I'm happy thus far with how it is turning out. Now I'm debating if I want to get a colored grain filler and attempt a "sand blasted finish" or just let this one ride as black.  Attached is pics. More to come as it goes.

Attachments

• Nomad Base Coat 1.jpg
    Nomad Base Coat 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • Nomad Base Coat 2.jpg
    Nomad Base Coat 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong either way you do it. The dog hair finish is cool but so is the solid black. If you're on the fence, just take the easiest way and enjoy the way it comes out. If you are leaning toward either, go that way. It's going to look good.

Rgand said:
Frankly, I don't think you can go wrong either way you do it. The dog hair finish is cool but so is the solid black. If you're on the fence, just take the easiest way and enjoy the way it comes out. If you are leaning toward either, go that way. It's going to look good.

Thank you. And I think I agree with you. Everything I've been reading tells me to "keep it simple stupid", especially since this is my first ever build. I do have a question. Is there anything wrong with NOT using ANY grain filler?

OrcJuice said:
Rgand said:

Thank you. And I think I agree with you. Everything I've been reading tells me to "keep it simple stupid", especially since this is my first ever build. I do have a question. Is there anything wrong with NOT using ANY grain filler?
I built this one and didn't use any grain filler. Frankly, I like seeing the grain. Take a look at the forearm contour in the photo. This has Wudtone with gloss Wipe-on Poly over it.

CFxHwC3.png

OrcJuice said:
So, I'm going to update the original post as questions are answered and I'll change the title in keeping with what the current conversation is about.

First of all, thank you everyone who has helped thus far and thank you for all future help.

My next question is...stain. I'd like to do a transparent black or red and was thinking of just using Minwax stain. Anyone have any experience with that or recommend a different stain to suit my needs? I'll try and post some pictures of what I'm going for.

It is better to just add a post to the thread and keep it up to date that way as a sequence of events. It will get confusing quickly otherwise.

I am not following what you want to use stain on as you have already used Wudtone?

Is the stain for something else or in addition to the Wudtone?

stratamania said:
OrcJuice said:
So, I'm going to update the original post as questions are answered and I'll change the title in keeping with what the current conversation is about.

First of all, thank you everyone who has helped thus far and thank you for all future help.

My next question is...stain. I'd like to do a transparent black or red and was thinking of just using Minwax stain. Anyone have any experience with that or recommend a different stain to suit my needs? I'll try and post some pictures of what I'm going for.

Fair enough. At this point, I'm staining my project with Wudtone and trying to decide whether to grain fill or not.  :)

It is better to just add a post to the thread and keep it up to date that way as a sequence of events. It will get confusing quickly otherwise.

I am not following what you want to use stain on as you have already used Wudtone?

OrcJuice said:
stratamania said:
OrcJuice said:

Fair enough. At this point, I'm staining my project with Wudtone and trying to decide whether to grain fill or not.  :)

On the grain filler.

http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Wudtone-finishing-kit-instructions-Oct-15.pdf

Just for reference the way to use quote in a reply is go to the button Actions, click on it and click quote.

The insert quote would be for something like...

When the power of love overcomes love of power the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

OrcJuice said:
While we are on the topic of stains. I'd like to add a question.

What do you use to "seal" or "finish" the stain after applied?
Also, can you stain the headstock? I assume yes. And can or should you stain the back of the neck or just oil it?

Again, thank you in advance!
I used 100% dewaxed shellac to seal the stain on my RG clone. Applied a thin layer, let it dry for a couple of days and had clear coat sprayed. You can dye the neck and headstock as long as you remove any poly or lacquer coatings. I order the necks without finishes if I’m going to dye the neck.

Attachments

• 004 copy.jpg
    004 copy.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 7
Back