Help

crash

Putting in my Bar Knuckle Piledrivers in my Padauk Tele today.  The neck pickup is wood-mounted as I am not using a pickguard.  After drilling a pilot hole and waxing the screw, the screw broke while tightening the pickup down.  Padauk is some hard shyte!

How do I get the remaining screw out so I can drill a hole, plug it and try again?

Attachments

• P1000329.JPG
    782.3 KB · Views: 95
You might be able to use a screw removal bit.

Otherwise, redrill with a large drill bit, then fill the hole with a dowel.

the good news is,  it's in a area that is not seen.  I have had success using a punch to create a small groove in the screw.  then using a screwdriver to back it out.  Sometime needle nose pliers can get around the screw and twist it out too.

If you have to drill or dig it out...just fill.

I have broke several screws in maple too.  SUCKS big time.  Best investment I made was a good set of small diameter drill bits.  Remember, its just holding a pickup in.  Your not hanging drywall.  No need to Conan those pups in

DMRACO said:
Remember, its just holding a pickup in.  Your not hanging drywall.  No need to Conan those pups in

Perzactly. Padauk is a pretty hard wood, but it's no Maple or Ebony. This is just a pickup. It doesn't need to be lag bolted in. The hole was too small. Need to move up a size there.

There are no EZ-Outs for screw shafts that small, so it's over-drill time. You'll need a drill press, or the bit will keep wandering and you'll end up drilling a hole next to the embedded screw shaft rather than through it. You don't want to drill too deep, so you need a hard stop. Also, be aware that dowel comes in "standard" sizes, so pick a hole size you can get dowel for. 3/8" may be as small as you can get easily/locally, unless you have a well-stocked modelling shop nearby.

I already have a dowel.  Ace Hardware has them.  It's just I'm stumped on how to get that screw out.  It is too small for an easy out bit.  Perhaps drill right next to the embedded screw on each side then try to pull it out with a needle nose?

I don't think you're going to be able to get a good enough grip on it with needle nose pliers. But, without a drill press, you're running out of options fast. Maybe somebody else will come up with a better idea.

IF you burn away the guitar body, you'll be left with a perfectly extracted screw. Also, you may send me the screw and I'll take that nasty body off of it and get your precious screw right back to you. You don't care if I keep the body, I assume . . .  :icon_jokercolor:

If you can somehow create a countersink around what's left of the screw, then put a notch in the screw itself for a flathead screwdriver, you might be able to unscrew it in a rather conventional manner.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=42292&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1

Use the smallest one - IN YOUR DRILL PRESS - and just pop out the plug with the screw in it and then dowel the hole.

or this - it's smaller
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32320&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1

:icon_scratch:  Can you get a Dremel in there, with a thin cutter bit on it. Then cut a small slit in whats left & then un screw it.

OR just grind it away with the Dremel, then replace with some dowel

As an aside.  Crash, you're gonna LOVE the Piledrivers!  They are great pickups.

Sorry I cant help on the screw extraction.

:icon_thumright:

The thing is, the screw is so small that I don't think I can get a slit cut on the top.  I have a bunch of very small CNC router bits that I can fit in my dremel.  I figure I can route it out then clean up the hole with a 3/8" bit, plug that then try again.

Thanks for all the help!  Except for B3 :icon_jokercolor:

B3Guy said:
I'm so helpful ,aren't I?  :icon_jokercolor:

Typical Minnesotan
poke.gif

Got it out!

Now I just have to plug it and wait for more screws to arrive in the mail.

Attachments

• P1000334.JPG
    871 KB · Views: 36
  • P1000335.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 32
Good stuff  :icon_thumright:

That body (from what I see) looks an interesting colour scheme ..... Any full shots of the body somewhere ?

Also... for future reference
What type of screws did you use 1st up ? 
What type are you now waiting on delivery ?
Can't you just use small GOOD QUALITY wood screws from a local hardware ?

If you haven't got a name for this guitar  :icon_scratch: how about .... The 'Wounded Warrior'    :laughing7:  :icon_jokercolor:

I love reading a thread with the problem on the first page and the solution on the second page.  That means I don't have to do anything  :glasses9:

Updown said:
Good stuff  :icon_thumright:

That body (from what I see) looks an interesting colour scheme ..... Any full shots of the body somewhere ?

Also... for future reference
What type of screws did you use 1st up ? 
What type are you now waiting on delivery ?
Can't you just use small GOOD QUALITY wood screws from a local hardware ?

If you haven't got a name for this guitar  :icon_scratch: how about .... The 'Wounded Warrior'    :laughing7:  :icon_jokercolor:

I used the pickup screws that came with my Bare Knuckle Piledrivers.  I checked the local hardware store and all they had were zinc ones...those would break even easier.  I think I needed to drill a larger pilot hole than I did.  I ordered a couple more from Stewmac.  I ordered the 3358 screws. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Screws_springs/Pickup_Height_Screws.html

I was going to name it DevilCaster.  Here is a pic I just took

Attachments

• finished2.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 37
Back