Help with Wiring!

Kinksi

Hey,

So I am wiring up my warmoth strat with 2 Harmonic Design Z-90 pups.

I want to wire the guitar so it has a 3 way switch (neck - neck/bridge - bridge). I was then going to have 1 volume and 2 tone knobs. I want each tone knob to be a push-pull. Tone 1 pulled would access SERIES wiring. Tone 2 pulled would access OUT-OF-PHASE wiring. All of this works. My problem is, I would like to have the option of using OUT-OF-PHASE and SERIES at the same time. I can't figure this out. When I pull both knobs, I lose sound.

Can anyone help me out. Is there a schematic out there that will show me how to wire this up? I have looked with no luck.

Thanks!!!

Sorry, a bit of an error in my last post.

I can't seem to wire the guitar to have both OUT OF PHASE and SERIES. I can wire the guitar to have out of phase. I can also have it wired for SERIES. But not both, weird, right?

So, I guess I just need a strat schematic that would be this:

2 pups

1 vol, 2 tone.

Any wiring will do, but I would PREFER a 3 way switch and use the 2 tone knobs as push-pull to access the OUT OF PHASE and SERIES.

Thanks!

Any help would be appreciated.

well, use one of the 2 pickups for the out of fase switch. it does not matter which one goes out of fase with the other, as long is it happens.

from there, you get 2 wires. hot and earth. use those 2 for the series-switch with the wires from the other pickup. is that easy.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jp_style

use the wiring of the neck tonepot, and just play around with the leads. some are a dead give away, which is hot and earth, and the other 2, well, just toy around with that. this is anyway how you should do it.

series_parallel_neck_bridge.jpg

here's an even better pic.

Hey, that schematic is close...

But i am using single coils (i dont know if that makes a difference, since the schematic you sent is for humbuckers) and i have 1 vol and 2 tone....your schematic has 2 vol.

Hmmmm.....

Kinksi said:
Hey, that schematic is close...

But i am using single coils (i dont know if that makes a difference, since the schematic you sent is for humbuckers) and i have 1 vol and 2 tone....your schematic has 2 vol.

Hmmmm.....

oh c'mon, be a bit creative. a singlecoil has a hotwire and an earthwire, just like the humbucker. after all, you don't USE the other 2 wires of the humbucker. and instead of wiring the pickupleads to the volumes, and THEN to a toggle, you do it to a toggle, and then to 1 volume output, with a tone parallel to each input of the toggle for the tone. its easy man. come on. just mix and match

first: wire the fase switch. from that, you get 2 wires, earth and hot. use those to wire, the series switch. in the schematic, you see 'hot output to pickup switch or neck volume' and 'hot outut to pickup switch or bridge volume'. use those 2 wires, and solder them directly on the pickup selector switch. from the switch, you get a new lead. this one goes to the left lug of the volume pot. the middle goes to the output jack itself, and the last lug goes to earth, as does the back of the pot.

for the tones. where you solder the pickupleads on the selector switch, you also solder a wire, that goes to the left lug of a pot, just like you see in the schematic I gave you from seymour duncan. but now you don't solder it to a pot, but a switch.

this aint rocket science....

Hey man,

thanks for your help. Yeah, i suck at electronics. Before posting here, I even called Lollar on the phone, and they didnt know how to do it. They said it might not even be possible.

Anyway, I'm gonna try what you sent in the next day or 2 and hopefully it will work out well.

Thanks again!

two single coil pickups, two push pulls? Easy.

neck hot -> phase switch -> pup selector
neck ground -> phase switch -> series switch

Bridge hot -> series switch -> pup selector
Bridge ground -> ground

Phase switch reverses the hot and ground on the neck pup. Series switch sends the bridge hot either to the pup selector (parallel) or the neck ground (series), and sends the neck ground either to ground (parallel) or to the bridge hot (series). The only 'cut out' is going to be when you select 'series' and 'bridge only', and that's unavoidable.

Back