Help with neck for awesome Korina Strat

Roland

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping to get some advice on what neck to go with this guitar that I just purchased.

I'm thinking ebony over wenge, with no inlays, or would black korina be better than wenge? What do you guys think?

Attachments

• PS6400A.jpg
    PS6400A.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 292
  • PS6400B.jpg
    PS6400B.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 275
Congratulations on purchasing a beautiful body!

I'd go with the wenge, in part because I have one and I love it and I want everyone to be happy - but also because the wenge does not require a finish, and playing on it is a very very positive experience.  Naked wenge is a very fast-feeling wood, slick and dry and yummy.  But with a guitar body as colorful as what you have there, I'd definitely go with a less-wildly-figured piece of wenge, just so the beauty of the black korina is not detracted from.

Peace

Bagman

Roland said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping to get some advice on what neck to go with this guitar that I just purchased.

I'm thinking ebony over wenge, with no inlays, or would black korina be better than wenge? What do you guys think?

Beautiful body, and welcome to the forums!

Get whatever shaftwood you want and yes, definetly get an Ebony or a Ziricote fingerboard. Both of those would perfectly
match the black outlines of the streaks on the body and offer some nice contrast overall at the same time. It'll look killer, trust me.

:kewlpics:

I have a korina body with a flame cap, with a Canary neck with ziricote board that I think works just fine.  :icon_biggrin:

Luke5042.jpg

Luke4008.jpg

Luke3007.jpg

I've seen that one out there and love the body.  It'll make a beautiful guitar.

I'm also curious about black korina necks.  Anyone have any experience/comments about them?

also many moons ago this happened.

sn7190A.jpg

sn7190b.jpg

Not sure if they have any on the showcase today, as I haven't looked.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=1&Path=Neck&nWood=13

There you go.

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=sn11995&Body=1&Path=Neck this one is slick
sn11995a.jpg

Luke said:

sn7190A.jpg

sn7190b.jpg

You son-of-b... that is a seriously tasty look... if I could have THAT neck - I'd probably buy it...  :sad:

Thanks everybody for all the great input, and thanks for such a warm welcome to the forum!  :eek:ccasion14:

I think wenge with ebony is probably the way I'm going to go. I just really like the color and the lack of finish wenge offers, and of course ebony is great. The black korina necks are tempting too but the showcase ones all have fretboard inlays and I'd rather this one not have any.

Luke said:

sn7190A.jpg

sn7190b.jpg

That neck looks like it was made for that body! Just came a little too early...

I think Wenge/Ebony is the typical neck to go with BK. I've got a BK LP that I'm gonna get going on soon, and everyone recommended Wenge/Ebony for the neck too.

hi there name sake!

honestly ,what are the chances!?
none then two Rolands rock up on the same day.

any way thats a beautifull body you got there fella. as it go,s i like the look of the flamed maple necks on warmoth not sure it would go with that body though.

what contour are you going to be going with?

Finally it only took a 2 weeks to get snapped up .....

Congrats on that beauty  :icon_thumright: and welcome aboard the addiction train  :laughing7:

You are lucky I didn't buy it on the 1st Feb, as I had that & another in mind & went the other  :icon_biggrin:
Plus I was struggling to work out what type of neck for the one you have got.
If I got that one, I probably would've waited till one showed up on the showcase.

Anyway that combo of Black Korina / Ebony neck looks perfect  :icon_thumright:

All thou I love my Raw necks, like ... Wenge / Pau Ferro / Indian Rosewood / Concalo Alves
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=SN11950&Body=1&Path=Neck
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=sn11833&Body=1&Path=Neck

Once you play a Raw neck you will know exactly what everyone is talking about ...... XTC in Heaven  :toothy10:

ponderer said:
hi there name sake!

honestly ,what are the chances!?
none then two Rolands rock up on the same day.

any way thats a beautifull body you got there fella. as it go,s i like the look of the flamed maple necks on warmoth not sure it would go with that body though.

what contour are you going to be going with?

Actually Roland is just the name I use for forums and stuff; it's from an Interpol song.

I'm going to go with a standard thin. I already have one, and I love it. It seems like a slightly thinner, flatter strat neck, with a wider fretboard so there's less string slip off. 1 11/16 nut width, compound radius, and Warmoth Pro construction  :icon_thumright:

Updown said:
Finally it only took a 2 weeks to get snapped up .....

Congrats on that beauty  :icon_thumright: and welcome aboard the addiction train  :laughing7:

You are lucky I didn't buy it on the 1st Feb, as I had that & another in mind & went the other  :icon_biggrin:
Plus I was struggling to work out what type of neck for the one you have got.
If I got that one, I probably would've waited till one showed up on the showcase.

Anyway that combo of Black Korina / Ebony neck looks perfect  :icon_thumright:

All thou I love my Raw necks, like ... Wenge / Pau Ferro / Indian Rosewood / Concalo Alves
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=SN11950&Body=1&Path=Neck
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?i=sn11833&Body=1&Path=Neck

Once you play a Raw neck you will know exactly what everyone is talking about ...... XTC in Heaven  :toothy10:

Well I guess I have to thank you for not buying it then :hello2: I'm amazed it was up as long as it was. I randomly decided to look through the showcase, saw it, was afraid it would sell, and bought it about ten minutes later. What body did you end up getting?

I'm looking forward to the raw neck, the closest I've ever gotten was the satin finish on my Highway 1.

Back