Help with my nitro finish body

ryanjurek

My latest project guitar happens to have a nitrocellulose lacquer finish.  When I bought the body, I wasn't familiar with all the characteristics of this finish.  Inside the first couple days of completing my project I noticed some finger prints on the body, so I grabbed my polish rag (t-shirt) to buff them out.  I now have to ugly shiny spots on an otherwise matte body that are really ugly.  How can I get rid or this?

Any suggestions?

Assuming this is a satin nitro finish? What kind of body/finish exactly?

Try going over the spots that got buffed glossy with some #0000 steel wool

This reminds me of the party I had, at age 16, when my parents stupidly left me alone at our house for two weeks.  It was a huge success, and there were bodies laying all over the domicile by AM's bright light of morning..

However... young TB (no relation to CB) decided to spill his drinks, and snacks (Cheetohs) all over mums carpet by way of hurling 'em out his gullet, in several areas of the living room.

On cleanup the next day - it was immediately evident that we could not clean only the spots - since the cleaner areas showed up (and our overactive Telltale Heart imaginations were going nuts).  So, being good lads, TB and his friend JD cleaned the carpet in the entire house, by hand, on knees, with scrubrush and towels, while I repaired the thermostat that some crazed guest broke, while doing his imitation of a raving M'butu ritualistic dance.

I'm sincerely afraid, ol' bean, that you're going to have to feather that finish perfection (not imperfection) into the entire body, by buffing out the rest.  When you micromesh or otherwise continue to rub on that area, its going to get thinner - and still not match - that satin or matt finish.

yah it was, not deep shag, but still....

And we never did get the beer smell out of the oaken table in the basement.  It smelt like a beer barrel from that night thence onward to present times.

And did mum notice that her entire carpet had be freshly quaffed with half dozen bottles of Woolite?  No.  She did IMMEDIATELY notice one of her prize Hummel knickernacks was broken.  However, I confessed to it happening right before they left and not telling her "on purpose" so she wouldn't fret and worry for two weeks.  In other words, I lied.  But it worked, and she forgave me - sort of.

Back